The Westwood situation just gets stranger

Just now, Sonny said:

Whether or not our manager has spoken much to a player who is leaving seems like a strange hill to die on but that’s up to you.

:biggrin:

I like that, strange hill to die on.

My frustration is that this is another example of spin and lack of honesty about what is or has been happening. No one knows why we are making such a pigs ear of everything but you understand it when there are signs that they can't even get the basics right.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
41 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Didn’t he say that he missed training though? Was that just for a laugh or because he was in fact injured?

Yes, he said he'd missed just one day of training since the players returned. And that he was fitter than he'd ever been

Just now, @owlstalk said:

WESTWOOD

He's available for transfer, isn't he?

There doesn't seem to be anything underhanded about the situation

Perhaps Jos expects him to complete the move before Thursday's deadline?

So prepares for the upcoming season with the two keepers he has to pick from

Maybe the move has less to do with clubs meeting our valuation and more to do clubs matching Westwood's demands

ie (guessing) a 3yr deal on similar wages to now, assurances as to No.1 status etc

And perhaps such a move relies on other sales occurring elsewhere

Information that Jos is unlikely to be privy to

If the move(s) fail to materialise then the current situation may well alter

There

Didn't mention local media once ... doh!

I totally understand our financial position and the possible need to sell our first choice keeper but it puts the manager in a very difficult position in terms of man management.

Anybody who is promoted in a competitive enviroment  needs to truly know that it relates to ability rather than convenience otherwise there is a danger that confidence will suffer.  Ideally Westwood should have been sold sooner.

When Westwood does find a club then expect some bad taste in the aftermath.

What is so strange. It's clear Jos prefers Dawson and Wildsmith to Westwood. I have to say that before he was injured last season I thought Westwood was average and he cost us some points with thoughtless play. I don't think he is anywhere near the best goalkeeper in the Championship any more. Not playing him is a good move if he is, as I suspect, past his best, as this will not harm his reputation or de-value his transfer fee so much.

48 minutes ago, prowl said:

Westwood could become Jos's McGugan.

It's not the way to treat a player who has been a star for the club. Tell him to find another club by all means but don't hang him out to dry in the local press. If I was KW I'd be tempted to see out my contract even if it meant training with the kids.

Even worse when Westwood has been 10x the player for us mcgugan was

1 minute ago, mark1948 said:

What is so strange. It's clear Jos prefers Dawson and Wildsmith to Westwood. I have to say that before he was injured last season I thought Westwood was average and he cost us some points with thoughtless play. I don't think he is anywhere near the best goalkeeper in the Championship any more. Not playing him is a good move if he is, as I suspect, past his best, as this will not harm his reputation or de-value his transfer fee so much.

You seriously think Dawson/Wildsmith is better than Westwood? :tango:

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bigrbuk said:

He did. And that was why Jos said he missed the friendly, KW missed training and he had to protect him. Presumably his record of allowing players to fully recover before they are involved was at work here, along with the need to keep him safe for sale! 

Missed one session, but was 100% fit apparently. I reckon the "fit" thing in just a difference of definition.

Cheers, sounds a bit more plausible to me. Although we’re clearly not playing him now because he’s been told he’s surplus. Not sure what else they’re supposed to be talking about, especially if they’re all hundred percent clear on the situation (as the article states). Far bigger things to worry about than this.

4 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

He's available for transfer, isn't he?

There doesn't seem to be anything underhanded about the situation

Perhaps Jos expects him to complete the move before Thursday's deadline?

So prepares for the upcoming season with the two keepers he has to pick from

Maybe the move has less to do with clubs meeting our valuation and more to do clubs matching Westwood's demands

ie (guessing) a 3yr deal on similar wages to now, assurances as to No.1 status etc

And perhaps such a move relies on other sales occurring elsewhere

Information that Jos is unlikely to be privy to

If the move(s) fail to materialise then the current situation may well alter

There

Didn't mention local media once ... doh!

tumblr_net18rbflc1rsrbdko7_500.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oliver said:

I like Jos but his comments are completely unprofessional and do him (and Westwood) a complete disservice. 

Why do you think his comments do that? Especially if it’s true that all parties are hundred percent clear? Obviously that could be a lie but otherwise I’m not really clear on what the fuss is here?

1 minute ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I'd love it if we can't move him on before the deadline.

Wonder how they'll re-motivate him

They won't - he's basically finished at the club.

It just leaves the club to eek out whatever transfer they can for him, loan him out or just leave him to rot like McGugan.

JL has made his preferences perfectly clear now.