Last good transfer window

When have we ever had a good run in the transfer market?

It feels like, as a Wednesday fan, we seem to have a stinker in the transfer market. We overpay for rubbish and get robbed when selling (Antonio as a recent example).

Following the good old times in the early 90’s we’ve been absolutely terrible at transfers. 

I think our last good window was the summer after the ‘94 World Cup - Ingesson and Petrescu come to mind.

Any advances on ‘94?

3 hours ago, Kermit Flump said:

It feels like, as a Wednesday fan, we seem to have a stinker in the transfer market. We overpay for rubbish and get robbed when selling (Antonio as a recent example).

Following the good old times in the early 90’s we’ve been absolutely terrible at transfers. 

I think our last good window was the summer after the ‘94 World Cup - Ingesson and Petrescu come to mind.

Any advances on ‘94?

Yeah but didn't we also bring in Wim Jonk?

Guest addedtime
2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Haven’t we broke our transfer record three times in last three years? 

Yep. Not very well spent on two of them.

Seriously

So the summer of 2015 when we signed the likes of Forestieri, Bannan, Wallace, Hunt, Joao, Pudil etc was a dreadful window? Forget that the extra bit of quality got us from being a lower half midtable side to potential promotion candidates? Is finishing in the play offs and being 90 minutes from promotion deemed unacceptable? 

Or 2004 when Turner bought the likes of the Lucas, Heckingbottom, McGovern, Maclean etc that transformed us from almost going down the fourth division to gaining promotion (with help from Sturrock)?

I'll accept they weren't in our Premier League time but come on, they helped significantly turn our fortunes round. 

Edited by katie melua

9 minutes ago, katie melua said:

Seriously

So the summer of 2015 when we signed the likes of Forestieri, Bannan, Wallace, Hunt, Joao, Pudil etc was a dreadful window? Forget that the extra bit of quality got us from being a lower half midtable side to potential promotion candidates? Is finishing in the play offs and being 90 minutes from promotion deemed unacceptable? 

Or 2004 when Turner bought the likes of the Lucas, Heckingbottom, McGovern, Maclean etc that transformed us from almost going down the fourth division to gaining promotion (with help from Sturrock)?

I'll accept they weren't in our Premier League time but come on, they helped significantly turn our fortunes round. 

This, we’ve broke our record 3 times in last 3 years I think. Transformed the club entirely, to a position that not making top 6 is a bad season from one that battled to survive. 

Short memories i would say but say but it’s the opposite remembering twenty plus years ago but not the last few seasons. Odd. 

41 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I use to enjoy the transfer window when it was all on teletext although the last one I remember was us signing Richard Creswell for 1 million from york so maybe not all good memories.  

Richard creswell lol lol where is that kant nowadays ? 

14 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

This, we’ve broke our record 3 times in last 3 years I think. Transformed the club entirely, to a position that not making top 6 is a bad season from one that battled to survive. 

Short memories i would say but say but it’s the opposite remembering twenty plus years ago but not the last few seasons. Odd. 

What makes it more odd is that the example of the 1994 window was the start of the decline!

If anything, that was one of our worst windows! I seem to recall we were almost in the relegation zone after a shocking 2-0 home defeat to Queens Park Rangers that season. No striker was even bought when we were crying out for one from August to December and who cannot forget those two performances that season against Nottingham Forest. 11 goals conceded in two games. 

Signing Guy Whittingham kept us up that season (mainly for going 8 games unbeaten after his arrival). Although I won't forget the fantastic form we had from March to the end of the season. 

Edited by katie melua

4 hours ago, Kermit Flump said:

Any advances on ‘94?

Gary Taylor Fletcher , months loan :carlos: