The Money's got to come from Us

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Can you even begin to imagine the prices of tickets if we go up?

That's one problem we'll not have to face for a long time. 

We'll be getting 12,000 fans by then as only the top 1% of Yorkshire would be able to attend our games. 

2 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

shouldn't have to pay extra ,the secret is get players in that can do the job the cheaper the better, paying over the odds is the first step to ruin  but we do it   all the time  and buy crocks at that all these millions wasted on some of our lot , abdi for instance then matias  and others  and  lets face it Rhodes never woke up and produced for   what he cost thank god he is out on loan , and now we are stuck with the rest  them because of silly contracts  tbh the whole club wants chucking in a bag and shaking up  and then see how we go , oh and before I shut up , the club ought to stop ripping off the fans in whichever way they can think up at t5he time ,  prices need reducing as does kits ,and other merchandise and add to that make the club sellable to fans and affordable and they will return and the clubs income would be boosted

The bottom line is this.

Chansiri doesn't care what you or I think.

To him we're just walking wallets.

All you or I count for is a source of revenue.

That's the reality of modern football.

Just look out the window.

The only influence you, or I, or any of us have is the money we put into the club.

That's the lowest common denominator.

If you want Chansiri to do something, then it's your money which will do the talking.

The fact that you love the club is an irrelevance as far as Chansiri's concerned.

Influence costs in this game.

If you want the £5 mil, then we want this, this and this instituting.

Conveniently forgetting we've wasted MILLIONS that were available.

I used to think we were badly run in the 90's - but our recent rash splurge is on another level entirely.

Sell some players, pay up others and get the club back running properly.  Its bad, but it really isn't that difficult.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I’ve seen no sign of canny business skills. We’ve had a couple of barmy schemes and big price hikes imposed on a captive customer base. Nothing innovative. Nothing inspiring. Nothing clever. 

True - there's no sophistication in his business plan. In some scenarios he's even happy to lose money rather than losing face by being flexible in his pricing. His attitude seems needlessly hostile and "like it or lump it" with an expection fans will pay more & should be grateful to do so. If you dare dissent then you're met with insults and hissy fits.

• Like 1

“I’m a lot happier” – Summer departed Sheffield Wednesday player happy to move, not about money

Former Sheffield Wednesday winger Urby Emanuelson has told the Dutch media he’s happy to now be back in his home country with FC Utrecht.

The 31 year old spent last season at Sheffield Wednesday, but failed to make an impact due to injury.

Speaking to Voetbal International, Emanuelson was asked about his return to the Netherlands, following his time abroad: “I earn a lot less money here, but I’m a lot happier than the last few years abroad.”

Emanuelson arrived at Hillsborough last summer, and much was expected of the former Ajax and AC Milan player. However, he didn’t start any games for Sheffield Wednesday, before injury ruled him for several months.

Despite returning towards the end of the season, the player wasn’t involved in the club’s two playoff games with Huddersfield Town, and he was eventually released at the end of last season.

Emanuelson’s failure to deliver would have come as a blow to the Championship side, after he revealed himself to be one of the highest earners at the club.

Owlstalk Shop

50 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

To any fans out there wanting to chip into Mr Chansiri's transfer fund let me just say this...

Urby Emanuelson

But would we have signed "Turby" had Roeder still been here?

That's my point.

And how do we "persuade" Chansiri to bring such an adviser back in?

Until that happens we've got a one-way ticket to Blackburn Meadows...in the middle of a heatwave.

3 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Chansiri once said that he'd spend £200 million to get us up.

But he's not allowed to.

It wouldn't matter if he were as rich as Croesus.

It's about turnover.

The only way we can increase turnover is by putting our hands in our pockets.

The money's got to come from us.

We'll all have to pay a tenner a game more, including ST holders.

It's a packet of fags and a pint.

Either that, or we're in the brown up to our necks.

There are a range of ways of marketing products. The basic decision is where the product is on the luxury to basic necessity scale. So you either have Prada or Poundland - or somewhere in between. 

In the last 3 years, as well as the Chairman’s investment, he has moved prices towards the luxury end. I don’t think Sheffield can take that and so the overall income is likely to drop. Look at the model the piggies are using and with that, they beat us on average attendance and revenue last year.

Football at SW6 is a volume product and needs seats and boxes full and thousands of sales of replica shirts. And we can’t use the Man Utd model. We still foot a lot of the bill but with more customers not fewer paying more. 

1 minute ago, Andrew Robinson said:

There are a range of ways of marketing products. The basic decision is where the product is on the luxury to basic necessity scale. So you either have Prada or Poundland - or somewhere in between. 

In the last 3 years, as well as the Chairman’s investment, he has moved prices towards the luxury end. I don’t think Sheffield can take that and so the overall income is likely to drop. Look at the model the piggies are using and with that, they beat us on average attendance and revenue last year.

Football at SW6 is a volume product and needs seats and boxes full and thousands of sales of replica shirts. And we can’t use the Man Utd model. We still foot a lot of the bill but with more customers not fewer paying more. 

Yes, but the Blades sell their young players on for big money - we don't.

They've also got a British manager who can pick up players from the lower leagues - we haven't.

If you want to manage this club under Chansiri then the minimum requirement is that you must be foreign.

Advice, advice, advice, advice.

Until Chansiri has a British adviser who knows our game and leagues we'll not progress.

The point I have repeatedly tried to make is that we have to induce him to engage such an adviser.

The carrot of a fans' kitty may do that, not to mention easing FFP.

It's the price of a packet of fags and a pint every home game.

We need our own money.

I know it's simplistic, and I know it's been said before, but a big part of our problem is our refusal or inability to sell our players for decent money. I've just looked at the figures on Transfermarkt for the last 3 seasons, and as far as I can see of the current Championship teams only Millwall have received less money for players than us in that period. Millwall, however, have barely spent anything on transfers in that time either. When it comes to the other 22 clubs, not only has every one of them received more transfer income than us, they've all managed to beat our overall total in just one season, and half of them have done so in each of the past 3 seasons. Our spending on transfer fees isn't actually that high (OK, I'm ignoring wages), but because we've received virtually nothing in transfer fees, our overall balance is one of the worst in the division. 12 of the teams received more income than our total negative balance (i.e., we'd have made a profit if we'd have sold players as well as them). Of the remaining 10 (bar those 12 and us and Millwall), 8 made a profit on transfers. The only 2 to fail to do either were Birmingham and Reading, who both have similar records to ours. OK, the figures might not be entirely accurate, but I assume they're more or less correct.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, but the Blades sell their young players on for big money - we don't.

They've also got a British manager who can pick up players from the lower leagues - we haven't.

If you want to manage this club under Chansiri then the minimum requirement is that you must be foreign.

Advice, advice, advice, advice.

Until Chansiri has a British adviser who knows our game and leagues we'll not progress.

The point I have repeatedly tried to make is that we have to induce him to engage such an adviser.

The carrot of a fans' kitty may do that, not to mention easing FFP.

It's the price of a packet of fags and a pint every home game.

We need our own money.

In the voice of Alan Hansan...

"This post is all over the place... I can't see him posting next week...if ever..... terrible post."

3 minutes ago, Sova said:

I know it's simplistic, and I know it's been said before, but a big part of our problem is our refusal or inability to sell our players for decent money. I've just looked at the figures on Transfermarkt for the last 3 seasons, and as far as I can see of the current Championship teams only Millwall have received less money for players than us in that period. Millwall, however, have barely spent anything on transfers in that time either. When it comes to the other 22 clubs, not only has every one of them received more transfer income than us, they've all managed to beat our overall total in just one season, and half of them have done so in each of the past 3 seasons. Our spending on transfer fees isn't actually that high (OK, I'm ignoring wages), but because we've received virtually nothing in transfer fees, our overall balance is one of the worst in the division. 12 of the teams received more income than our total negative balance (i.e., we'd have made a profit if we'd have sold players as well as them). Of the remaining 10 (bar those 12 and us and Millwall), 8 made a profit on transfers. The only 2 to fail to do either were Birmingham and Reading, who both have similar records to ours. OK, the figures might not be entirely accurate, but I assume they're more or less correct.

I've no doubt you're right, and that is a very important factor in our current predicament.

The problem is that we were bobby when Chansiri came in, and we'd a lot of ground to make up.

We finished 13th due to Gray's tactics, but we weren't 13th in squad quality.

Which is why Gray should never have got the old heave-ho.

Additionally, we don't produce talent in the way that, say, Leeds and the Blades do.

Because our managers don't know the lower leagues, being foreigners, if we sell talent on who'll replace them?