The Money's got to come from Us

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

You see, when I suggested yesterday that the fans have their own kitty, effecting change was at the heart of the idea.

As will be proven later today, Chansiri doesn't care about our opinions, only about our money.

All I'm saying is that's Sheffield Wednesday now.

It isn't your club any more, it's his - lock, stock and barrel.

The money we put into the club is a little like a vote in an election.

So, if you buy a three-year season ticket then in essence you've forfeited any say for three years.

Clearly, I'm not advocating our giving Chansiri a tenner a game with his track record.

I wanted us to have our own kitty to use as a lever to bring about change, and to spend as we see fit.

You said it yourself   "it's his - lock, stock and barrel".

If the model of a fan's "kitty" and involvment in decision making ever had an validit it is long gone (at least for now).

5 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

You see, when I suggested yesterday that the fans have their own kitty, effecting change was at the heart of the idea.

As will be proven later today, Chansiri doesn't care about our opinions, only about our money.

So, if you buy a three-year season ticket then in essence you've forfeited any say for three years.

Clearly, I'm not advocating our giving Chansiri a tenner a game with his track record.

I wanted us to have our own kitty to use as a lever to bring about change, and to spend as we see fit.

I thought you said "pay a tenner more a game including season ticket holders"...How does that go into a fans kitty?

15 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I thought you said "pay a tenner more a game including season ticket holders"...How does that go into a fans kitty?

What I meant was that each fan pays an additional tenner per game irrespective of whether they pay on the day, or are ST holders, or £230 over a season.

How and where that's paid would have to be decided by the fans, democratically.

The target would be £5 million per season.

I didn't mean pay an extra tenner at the turnstile.

There's no way I'd give Chansiri any more cash, not unless there were  big changes at any rate.

In my view, we need to amass our own money.

3 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

What I meant was that each fan pays an additional tenner per game irrespective of whether they pay on the day, or are ST holders, or £230 over a season.

How and where that's paid would have to be decided by the fans, democratically.

The target would be £5 million per season.

I didn't mean pay an extra tenner at the turnstile.

There's no way I'd give Chansiri any more cash, not unless there were  big changes at any rate.

In my view, we need to amass our own money.

OK mate...and then we keep that mponey and tell DC to do what we want ..or we give it to United?

On 05/08/2018 at 14:37, Athelwulf said:

For me, though, it's not just about trying to combat this embargo.

It's a lever to get Chansiri to take on an adviser.

Look at the players we signed at first, before Chansiri went it alone.

With the right advice it isn't necessary to blow money as we have of late.

Therein lies the problem

This whole cop out nonsense about spending big and getting the best .. Lot of teams operate frugally and efficiently instead we've messed up by throwing the cash at useless transfers and hoping for a quick fix to promotion.

You could see the writing on the wall on the 2nd season under Carlos ...

This season is going to be a long one ...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Where were you a few years ago when I was involved in a move to raise a substantial amount to pay off the debt and take back control of our own club? It would only have taken 5000 people to put in £1k at that time but the response was f-off, I buy my season ticket and that is my investment. It could have been different  but most were over the moon to let Sheard or Mandarik take over and now we have Mr C.  He is supposed to be not only rich but a (successful) business man. I am far from convinced. It is too late but it could have been so different. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Robinson said:

Where were you a few years ago when I was involved in a move to raise a substantial amount to pay off the debt and take back control of our own club? It would only have taken 5000 people to put in £1k at that time but the response was f-off, I buy my season ticket and that is my investment. It could have been different  but most were over the moon to let Sheard or Mandarik take over and now we have Mr C.  He is supposed to be not only rich but a (successful) business man. I am far from convinced. It is too late but it could have been so different. 

Well, that wasn't my response for what it's worth, but I do take your point.

I'm not totally sure yet about the implications of tonight to be honest, but when Chansiri says that if we're not promoted this season then it will be bad, then it's very depressing.

What I don't like about this current situation is that all the cash goes to him, and then he spends it as he sees fit.

Basically, the vast majority of the fan base have taken him on trust, and that trust has clearly been misplaced, at least over the last two years.

I still think we need a fans' fund, but we also need a father figure.

Someone who stands above the fight.

Someone with clout and connections.

Perhaps a Blunkett.

Some agree with his politics on this site, and some clearly don't, but he has been Home Secretary and he loves the club

I can remember when we had our save our owls ,The share issue got back on an even keel ,The club made a profit ,We developed our own ,And spent what we could afford ,After last night its RIP Sheffield Wednesday .Why did Chansiri not sign up and coming young players with sell on values ,I cant afford to pay more than what I pay already sad night last night ,The club is finished .

8 hours ago, Andrew Robinson said:

£5m wasn't enough then and incredibly £20m wouldn't be enough now. The days of fans groups buying clubs the size of Wednesday are long gone. 

2 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

I can remember when we had our save our owls ,The share issue got back on an even keel ,The club made a profit ,We developed our own ,And spent what we could afford ,After last night its RIP Sheffield Wednesday .Why did Chansiri not sign up and coming young players with sell on values ,I cant afford to pay more than what I pay already sad night last night ,The club is finished .

I do remember save our owls. It could not possibly work now at 2nd tier level there's just too much money needed. 

At a totally different level but Arsenal have just been valued at £1.8 billion 

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Arsenal's Stan Kroenke makes offer to buy whole of London club - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45094538

Now if Wednesday are worth just 5% of Arsenal that makes us worth incredibly 90 million 

That shows how crackers this business is and how far away from the likes of the Save our Owls campaign football has gone.