Dingle Mick

8 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Time to go and get Dingle Mick to sort this s***show out before someone else does.

I feel sorry for Jos, he has been dealt a bad hand, but I think it will become evident over the coming months he isn't up to this standard. The fact he has had all summer to work with a near full fit squad, yet we came out against Wigan looking so disjointed worries me massively. It isn't just that some of the players obviously aren't up to the standard required (Palmer, Pelu, JVA etc), the whole formation and game plan was bizarre. 

DC needs to chill out and let a man come in and run the team properly. Dingle Mick would have no issues with a squad like this. He consistently got Ipswich in the top half / playoffs with a small budget and a bang average team. 

It won't be pretty football, but let's be honest, it's been crap to watch for over 18 months now. Go and get him. 

Spot on mate

9 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

We are kidding ourselves if we think anyone of note will come in and work for DC.

We ended up with an unknown manager out of work for 2 years for a reason.

Dingle Mick isn't "anyone of note".

He's been a journeyman as long as you can remember.

I certainly won't be turning on Jos. 

I thought he did an admirable job last season in frankly, horrendous circumstances. 

However...that shambles yesterday was worrying. 

Every Wednesdayite I spoke to before the game, knew that side was there for the taking. It's looked disorganised and inept offensively throughout pre-season. What possessed him to go with such a failing unit?

Far too many utterly bizarre selections. 

1.) Tom Lees at RCB. The guy can't trap a bag of sand. Why play him in a position where he's going to have to carry the ball forward? Lees heads it and kicks it...play him in the centre. 

2.) Van Aken at CB. The guy is soft. Weak. Poor aerially. But, he's, allegedly, decent on the ball. Why play him in the centre of defence where he has to go up against a centre forward one to one?

3.) Palmer. Perhaps his hand has been forced, but c'mon, to play him in a role that totally exposes him both defensively and offensively is tactical suicide. 

4.) Pelupessy. He was anonymous for much of last season, and yesterday continued in the same vein. He's a nothing midfielder...not good enough defensively to be a holding midfielder, not strong and commanding enough to be a box-to-box enforcer, and he's far too limited on the ball to offer anything going forward. 

5.) Hutchinson as a No.10?! This the most bizarre of the lot. I wondered what was going off against Villareal...but excused that, as maybe a tactical thought which didn't work. Nope...how can a midfield three with Hutchinson as your most forward positioned player ever function effectively? I'm sure Hutch himself was equally bemused. 

6.) Going away from the effective (if not perfect) 3-4-3. At least in that formation, we get our two players with genuine directness and inventiveness on the pitch. Yes, we'll be weak in midfield and concede chances (but we are and did in the 3-5-2), but we'll cause teams issues at the back. If we'd have played that yesterday, I genuinely believe we'd have won the game.

He's had six weeks to prepare for that game...and that was the plan. Worrying. 

I know he's played 3 at the back since he arrived, and it's unlikely he'll change it based on one game...but he's got to consider switching to a basic back four, fielding four defenders who will defend, and playing 4-3-3, with Reach back in the middle, and FF, Joao and Nuhiu/Fletcher in a front three. 

It's a big week for the club...the fans forum on tomorrow is crucial with regards the direction of the club, and the Hull game needs to see a reaction from yesterday's shambles. 

Edited by frastheowl
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Time to go and get Dingle Mick to sort this s***show out before someone else does.

I feel sorry for Jos, he has been dealt a bad hand, but I think it will become evident over the coming months he isn't up to this standard. The fact he has had all summer to work with a near full fit squad, yet we came out against Wigan looking so disjointed worries me massively. It isn't just that some of the players obviously aren't up to the standard required (Palmer, Pelu, JVA etc), the whole formation and game plan was bizarre. 

DC needs to chill out and let a man come in and run the team properly. Dingle Mick would have no issues with a squad like this. He consistently got Ipswich in the top half / playoffs with a small budget and a bang average team. 

It won't be pretty football, but let's be honest, it's been crap to watch for over 18 months now. Go and get him. 

Dingle Mick is a tactics dinosaur.  Game has passed him by.

11 hours ago, Hughdowd said:

Said this yesterday mate.....British manager needed

I was looking for a detailed post I did about this a few months ago which showed how misguided this view is. But I couldn't find it, so these from 2017 that I stumbled upon will have to do instead...

On 28/09/2017 at 01:23, Whitechapel Owl said:

We've had 1 foreign manager and he's had the two highest placed finishes we've had the last 17 years.

Knocked out of the playoffs by a foreign manager least season, in a league won by a foreign manager.

No English manager has ever won the Premier League

On 28/09/2017 at 06:03, mcmigo said:

top 6 managers in the prem last season were italian, Spanish, Portuguese, french, German and Argentinian.

in the championship they were Spanish, Irish, Dutch, Portuguese, German and Serbian. 

Not one British manager in the top 6 of both of our top leagues.  The last thing we need based on actual evidence of last season is a British manager.

...and from this April...

On 16/04/2018 at 20:09, frastheowl said:

The last three Championship seasons, out of the NINE promoted teams. 

FOUR have had foreign managers (Benitez, Wagner, Karanka & Jokanovic), FIVE British born managers (Hughton, Dyche, Bruce, Howe, Neil). 

I'd suggest, based on the % of foreign managers working in the Championship, the statistic is far more favourable towards foreign born managers. 

If we extend it to this season, another foreign manager (Nuno Santo) has won promotion from the league, with potentially another foreign manager (Jokanovic) still with a chance to achieve that feat also [DJM : which he did of course]. So, by the conclusion of this season, it could be highly likely, that out of the last TWELVE managers, half of the managers promoted from the league have been born outside Britain, despite having a much inferior total representation. 

In summary, the ignorant view that foreign managers are less likely to succeed, couldn't be further from the truth. 

Just now, DJMortimer said:

I was looking for a detailed post I did about this a few months ago which showed how misguided this view is. But I couldn't find it, so these from 2017 that I stumbled upon will have to do instead...

Our foreign manager Carlos...it was criminal they way he wasted the millions chansiri gifted him....We are Sheffield Wednesday..a working class club ..with working class fans...the vast majority would relate to a no nonsense British manager...Dean Smith...Mick McCarthy...type.......The only time we have been united behind a manager was when we had ...Sturrock...Ron Atkinson..Trevor Francis...even megson.....because even if we didn’t agree with them at times...we could relate to them and their signing......this chairman and manager haven’t got a clue

Top six in the premier league !!!!...how can you ever relate us to them....Steve Bruce beat us in play off final too.....

3 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Our foreign manager Carlos...it was criminal they way he wasted the millions chansiri gifted him....We are Sheffield Wednesday..a working class club ..with working class fans...the vast majority would relate to a no nonsense British manager...Dean Smith...Mick McCarthy...type.......The only time we have been united behind a manager was when we had ...Sturrock...Ron Atkinson..Trevor Francis...even megson.....because even if we didn’t agree with them at times...we could relate to them and their signing......this chairman and manager haven’t got a clue

Relating to British managers? The likes of Eustace, Francis, Jewell, Shreeves, Yorath, Turner, Sturrock, Laws and Irvine all faced intense criticism for prolonged periods.

2 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Top six in the premier league !!!!...how can you ever relate us to them....

But if British managers are so superior, surely that's where they should be demonstrating that most clearly? What you're really doing is trying to discard evidence on a flimsy pretext.

4 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

...Steve Bruce beat us in play off final too.....

The reference quoted was to Wagner when Huddersfield beat us in 2016/7.

Relating to British managers? The likes of Eustace, Francis, Jewell, Shreeves, Yorath, Turner, Sturrock, Laws and Irvine all faced intense criticism for prolonged periods.

None of them had millions to spend tho....also other foreign managers who have been successful knew what they were doing.....Carlos and jos... both out of work for long periods...must have thought they’d won the lottery when we gave them a job.......

But if British managers are so superior, surely that's where they should be demonstrating that most clearly? What you're really doing is trying to discard evidence on a flimsy pretext.

The reference quoted was to Wagner when Huddersfield beat us in 2016/7.

We should have beaten Huddersfield over 2 legs...a foreign manager Carlos bottled it....would megson...warnock..McCarthy have bottled it ....NO WAY

Just now, Hughdowd said:

None of them had millions to spend tho....also other foreign managers who have been successful knew what they were doing.....Carlos and jos... both out of work for long periods...must have thought they’d won the lottery when we gave them a job.......

That's not the frame of reference you set. It was a simplistic British v foreign issue and the statistics in recent years are clear. In the Premier League, British managers are massively outperformed. But I understand you'd prefer we ignored that.

At our current level, in recent years their respective records are the same, but there are many more British managers so as a ratio, the edge is with the foreigners again. Also, I found that 90% of the teams relegated from the Championship in the last 11 years had a British boss for most, if not all of that season.