Sam Hutchinson position

13 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

Out of a day of utterly hurrendous and shocking moments, Hutchinson seemingly playing up top off the striker took the biscuit. Seriously what was that about?

I hope Hutch isn’t being messed around positionally just to accommodate a Dutch defensive midfielder and a Dutch central defender. He better in either position than those two.

Hutchinson, Bannan, Reach would be my midfield 3. 

Reach will act as Lee in what was our most successful trio IMO. 

I did worry about Hutchinson beforehand. With it being the first game of the season I didn’t doubt he’d be up for it, but was worried that he’d not quite get into the game. 

21 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Injuries look to have caught up on him for me.

Not the force he was unfortunately.

Can’t be the force we know he is trying to play advanced midfield. He’s a born and bred central defender turned holding midfielder.

How many central defenders can switch to playing like an old fashioned inside forward. I think he’s just not happy in that role and it shows. Needs to be played in a back three or defensive mid before writing him off as past it 

31 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

He was never as good as most made out in here tbf. The suggestion he was a premier league midfielder always made me chuckle.

Still, put him at CB and he's by far our best player there.

5 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I think he was there as like a box to box midfielder. Someone with a bit of energy and full of running. Think Lee when he finally returns.

It's just a bit daft really as he should either be in the back 3 or where Pelupessy is.

he was playing the Lee role, after the villareal game Hutch went to see Lee and told him to hurry up back because he hates that position lol

in all fairness he's doing what he's been asked to do , I didn't go today but if it was as bad as made out on here maybe Jos will try something else

Nothing short of rubbish for 60 minutes yesterday. 

First lets be charitable - it was his first proper game since a horrendous lay-off. But he was all over the place. His positional play was just awful.

But then he went into central defence and went from a 2 out of 10 to a 7 out of 10. Cut out most attacks, won headers, started attacks with neat short balls rather than JVA, Lees and Pudil running into blind alleys.

He is a defender. Always has been. He can imitate a deep-lying midfielder but even then he naturally gravitates to be an additional CB. Even at home against modest opposition he is regularly our deepest man.

In another thread I’ve seen suggestions he should be RWB. Is this the same injury-striken Sam Hutchinson? Not a prayer in that role.

If Hutch gets injured, and in CM he very soon will, we are stuck with JVA or a kid. We are stuck with Lees on the right, and he is poor there and wonderful central.

Hutch MUST be a CB.....

• He is very competent there
  • It allows Lees central
  • It means we don’t have to play JVA
  • He’s not a midfielder
  • He will stay healthier longer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Certainly for 60 yesterday he was a shadow of the player we have enjoyed. No pace whatsoever and easily brushed off the ball. Not a clue which position to take up, and was no help to anyone.

But he hasn’t played for almost 12 months, and that would explain his pace and strength. Also, it was as clear as day not his position.

At CB he was fine. He knows the role and his interceptions were well anticipated, his tackles well-timed, his heading dominant and his distribution sharp. No problem at all there. Though taking over from a bambi made him look better. OMG JVA had a stinker.

We are thin on the ground mate, and Hutch is a very capable CB, and we need him fit and healthy to keep worse CBs out of the team.

9 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

Hutchinson needs to be playing centre back with lees

Fernando playing behind the front 2 as he's more effective that way

Baker in for Palmer 

I was about to write my own 2 page breakdown of where i feel our most crucial areas are but i couldn't better this post's simplicity and accuracy.