Team v Hull

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Still makes me uncomfortable.

I don't mind the odd 'inside out'. That Waddle wasn't bad, I recall.

But at full back I'm afraid I'm prehistoric. Right back. Right foot.

In fact I'm a bit like that with all the defending roles!

Still. Like you say. It's hardly hot competition out on that flank.

Mind...I still think Palmer has taken WAY more flak for the goals we conceded than was due. Others had the chance to deal with them a lot sooner than he ,but seemingly have come out unscathed from critisism.

Palmer was unfairly hammered.

He was hung out to dry on the right. Hutch was clueless.

On the left we had Reach, FF and lots of Bannan.

20 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Westwood

Lees

Hutch

Pudil

Palmer 

Bannan

Reach

Boyd

Joao

Fletch

FF

Assuming you have placed Lees on the right hand side of that three, the only change I would make is Hutchinson to the right of the 3 for his mobility and because he's more comfortable receiving the ball in that position.  I seem to remember him hitting some good cross field diagonals a couple of seasons ago from there (away at Newcastle?) so the ability is there.  I'd maybe toy with the idea of Joao down the middle and Matias out right.

1 minute ago, spike1867 said:

Assuming you have placed Lees on the right hand side of that three, the only change I would make is Hutchinson to the right of the 3 for his mobility and because he's more comfortable receiving the ball in that position.  I seem to remember him hitting some good cross field diagonals a couple of seasons ago from there (away at Newcastle?) so the ability is there.  I'd maybe toy with the idea of Joao down the middle and Matias out right.

I think you are right about Lees in the middle. Hutch is more mobile, a better passer and better suited to full back responsibilities like the cross Lees failed to cut out that led to the first goal on Saturday. 

Any plan that involves Matias however gets a thumbs down from me.  Nowhere near convinced since seeing him nesh tackles and hardly touch the ball in some cameo sub appearances in his first season. 

However you play around with players in different positions i cannot get a team i am happy with because of our wing backs or full backs, we just don't have any players capable of doing the job to the required level. We should go with the front 3 that finished the season in the same system and Hutch should play at the back for JVA for me. Would love to see Westwood playing again for us but i don't think that is going to happen sadly.

Suspect it will largely be the same with Fletcher or Joao in for Atdhe,  to give them opportunity to make up for last week.

Personally would like us to play to our strengths with 3 up front. Don't think our defence can cope with 343, so would go 433 with 4 static defenders, just tasked to defend,  keep it simple for them and let the front 6 go and create. 

Nothing to fear from Hull judging by their opening day defeat and will have had 2 days extra rest. 

Getting back to some football talk... 

It'll be interesting how the formation pans out over the next few games - wing backs are the obvious worry and eventually, Jos will have to make a decision on continuing with the current approach. 

Dawson

Palmer Lees Pudil Van Aken Reach 

Forestieri Hutch Bannan 

Joao Fletcher 

----

Round pegs in round holes please - I'd be even tempted to play Bannan CM and drop Hutch bring in Boyd inside left mid. 

16 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Palmer was unfairly hammered.

He was hung out to dry on the right. Hutch was clueless.

On the left we had Reach, FF and lots of Bannan.

Palmer was hammered...and he was exceptionally poor.

But, as I've stated in the "Natural drift comfort role or something" topic, Luhukay has to shoulder some of that blame.

Palmer is a player who struggles at this level. He always has, and that's been in a role where he's often that a hard-working Ross Wallace in front of him to protect him somewhat. 

What did people expect? A player who isn't up to it, both defensively and offensively, to suddenly become the complete player when given the entirety of the right flank to cover, both in defence and attack?

Palmer deserved criticism...he's awful. But he was left out to dry somewhat by Luhukay naive tactical set up. 

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 21:59, S72 Owl said:

Without wanting to make wholesale changes I’d probably go with this against Hull

6271D0E8-E0C8-42FE-8753-7FB676BA1874.jpeg

No link between midfield and front 3. Bannan will drift back as usual and leave a massive hole.

Dawson

Hutch.         Lees.       Van Aken

palmer.                                              Reach

Pel.      Bannan

Fessi       

Joao.        Fletch

3 minutes ago, Miruic said:

Dawson

Pel.      Bannan

Fessi       

Joao.        Fletch

This would be my pick as well.

3 minutes ago, Miruic said:

Dawson

Pel.    

Bannan

Fessi       

Joao.        Fletch

I like this. Maybe push Bannan a bit further forward as above.