Team v Hull

33 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Jones was never as bad as many seem to think. Our record with him and Bannan in tandem was very good btw. 

His positionsl nous is light years better than Joey, and though he isn’t strong he is stronger than Joey too. Neither have pace. Jones is better in the air. 

I would be be happy to see Jones back in the side, but it would mean two lefties in a 343, which is not great.

Also, we did do well with Joey and Bannan late last season. 

I've always thought Jones brought more than a lot of fans appreciated. He's a player that does a lot of work unnoticed. But that's by the by, once Wednesday fans have decided on a player, there's no going back. Happen to think similar of Fox also. He's also nowhere near as bad, as fans make out. 

However, re. Bannan & Joey...I think we did well in spite of those two. Look at the games towards the back end of last season...we conceded A LOT of chances, and relied on a few superb goalkeeping displays. We over-performed in those games...statistically we should've lost a lot of the games we won. It's the reason why, whenever I speak about the wish to play 3-4-3, I always maintain the system isn't perfect. We are still too porous because our midfield is too weak...but it does make us so efficient offensively. 

3 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I've always thought Jones brought more than a lot of fans appreciated. He's a player that does a lot of work unnoticed. But that's by the by, once Wednesday fans have decided on a player, there's no going back. Happen to think similar of Fox also. He's also nowhere near as bad, as fans make out. 

However, re. Bannan & Joey...I think we did well in spite of those two. Look at the games towards the back end of last season...we conceded A LOT of chances, and relied on a few superb goalkeeping displays. We over-performed in those games...statistically we should've lost a lot of the games we won. It's the reason why, whenever I speak about the wish to play 3-4-3, I always maintain the system isn't perfect. We are still too porous because our midfield is too weak...but it does make us so efficient offensively. 

Bannan was superb in the games he played late last season. Joey was a decent if limited partner. It worked.

Just now, Holmowl said:

Bannan was superb in the games he played late last season. Joey was a decent if limited partner. It worked.

I tend to agree to an extent but long term, the system isn't sustainable. You cannot over-perform like we did over that short period, for a extended length of time. 

But it did produce some scintillating football. Which is much more preferable than the horror show we saw yesterday for the first 60 minutes.  

For the system to work properly, Bannan needs a proper enforcer next to him. The same kind we've been craving since Wembley.

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:34, deano said:

Westwood (if possible)

Hutch    Lees    Pudil

Boyd  Joey P Bannan Reach

Joao  Fletcher  FF

I think westwood is a bit of wishful thinking but all day long on the outfield players …...

Well I'm guessing that Sadkins will have noticed that Palmer tracks back with all the pace and enthusiasm of a race-for-life pensioner.

And when he gets there he can't really be @rsed to tackle or block anyway.

So stick someone who can walk quite fast and shoot, on the left and we'll be in trouble!

Think most managers with eyes will have spotted this!

12 hours ago, York_Owl said:

Dawson                 

Hutchinson  Lees   Pudil  

Boyd       Jones     Bannan    Reach

Matias       Joao    Forestieri 

Not sure about Jones but otherwise this would be worth trying 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Im struggling with why many prefer Palmer, a Championship fullback, over Boyd, a Prem winger, as our RWB.

Apart from that, ticks all my boxes.

I know Boyd has the better pedigree.

I'm just not a fan of the 'inside-out' full backs.

It's a balance thing. Thinking about it I may have mild footballing OCD!

Also. Boyd looks fair old depressed to me  at LWB. I'd hate to see the chaps dial at RWB!

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

I know Boyd has the better pedigree.

I'm just not a fan of the 'inside-out' full backs.

It's a balance thing. Thinking about it I may have mild footballing OCD!

Also. Boyd looks fair old depressed to me  at LWB. I'd hate to see the chaps dial at RWB!

His record in the Prem:-

47 RM v 27 LM

14 RW v 7 LW

He should be the most suited in our squad to RWB. He’s not up against Trippier. He’s up against Liam.

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

His record in the Prem:-

47 RM v 27 LM

14 RW v 7 LW

He should be the most suited in our squad to RWB. He’s not up against Trippier. He’s up against Liam.

Still makes me uncomfortable.

I don't mind the odd 'inside out'. That Waddle wasn't bad, I recall.

But at full back I'm afraid I'm prehistoric. Right back. Right foot.

In fact I'm a bit like that with all the defending roles!

Still. Like you say. It's hardly hot competition out on that flank.

Mind...I still think Palmer has taken WAY more flak for the goals we conceded than was due. Others had the chance to deal with them a lot sooner than he ,but seemingly have come out unscathed from critisism.

Edited by Lord Snooty

41 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

DAWSON

PALMER

HUTCH

LEES

THORNILEY

BOYD

PELLY

REACH 

BANNAN

FF 

JOAO

Why people keep picking Pudil is beyond me.

He has been past it for the last 18 months.

A bigger question is why you would want a front two rather than three.

It's wierd, but I've been thinking today after our awful pre season and opening day debacle, it just seems that when jos was juggling an unfit side with limited resources, he managed in those last 10/15 games to find a system that worked and suited who was fit and available to play.... 

The more players we seem to get back the more he looks like he cannot decide what to do with them and how best to accommodate who's now available. 

Dawson

Venancio- lees-pudil (or thornily) 

Palmer (Baker).                   Reach

Joey - bannan 

Nando (Matias) 

Nuhiu - joao 

We looked solid and good going forward especially those last 5/6 games when Nando & Bannan got fit, so I can't see why we couldn't have just started with that until the likes of Lee, hooper, boy n fletch returned but dropped hutch in for vanancio?? 

15 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

It's wierd, but I've been thinking today after our awful pre season and opening day debacle, it just seems that when jos was juggling an unfit side with limited resources, he managed in those last 10/15 games to find a system that worked and suited who was fit and available to play.... 

The more players we seem to get back the more he looks like he cannot decide what to do with them and how best to accommodate who's now available. 

Dawson

Venancio- lees-pudil (or thornily) 

Palmer (Baker).                   Reach

Joey - bannan 

Nando (Matias) 

Nuhiu - joao 

We looked solid and good going forward especially those last 5/6 games when Nando & Bannan got fit, so I can't see why we couldn't have just started with that until the likes of Lee, hooper, boy n fletch returned but dropped hutch in for vanancio?? 

Yep

We’ve just got to go 3-4-3. If we had good full backs and a top centre defender to partner Tom Lees and Kieran Lee was fit, I’d go 4-3-3 every day of the week.

We need to go with 3 up front as we get the best out of FF and our attacking is our strength. Lees, Hutch and Pudil should be in the defence - all 3 can defend. If we went to a flat back 4, im not sure whether we would look balanced and Pudil hasn’t the legs to play left back and Fox isn’t up to it. The negative with 3-4-3 is that we lose control in the middle but we didn’t have any control with 3 there at the weekend as the balance was wrong. Get the ball to Joao, FF and a central striker and let them cause havoc. It’s the only formation to go with. We may concede but we are likely to score lots as well. Got to play to your strengths. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl
  • Like 1