Wigan Athletic 3 - 2 Sheffield Wednesday

FOOTBALL.

A very good morning to you all, especially mi’lud who introduces the new season by quite rightly batting away any Stubbsian insolence and negativity. As my train speeds me south from Edinburgh towards Wigan I can’t help but feel that new season buzz once again. Regardless of our predictable summer travails, football is here once again. 

However, I must admit those summer travails have given me cause for concern today. Laughable decision making, lack of communication and a total inability to freshen up an increasingly stagnant squad doesn’t create the greatest mood in the camp. Contrast that with Wigan, who are enjoying a promotion bounce. Not only that, they’re a much tougher proposition than last time around, with a wilier manager and tougher squad to boot. 

All that being said, we’re still definitely good enough to beat them. Players like Bannan, Forestieri and Lees have far more talent than anyone they can muster. It’s all about putting the past aside and making sure we play to potential today - time for Jos to demonstrate that he’s up to the task.

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

Wigan 1-1 Wednesday 

(Bannan 53, Dunkley 86)

• Like 5

I think this is why you finish the pre-season with a match against top-rank opposition such as Villareal. It exercises the football brain and sharpens the reflexes. If The Wednesday start as quickly today, Wigan will find the step up to the Championship quite a test. Up The Owls!

Brilliant thread Pauli, your best ever. I’ll read it when I can be arsed later with a drop of Sherry and a piece of last year’s Christmas cake.

Is it true that Tay Tay has had the coil fitted? And that the Shadow llama hasn’t been well and is fading fast? Sad news.

Anyhow, Wednesday 23 Wigan 0 (Nuhiu 23).

Up The Bum Owls. Cum on Wednesday!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MoorfOwl said:

I think this is why you finish the pre-season with a match against top-rank opposition such as Villareal. It exercises the football brain and sharpens the reflexes. If The Wednesday start as quickly today, Wigan will find the step up to the Championship quite a test. Up The Owls!

Hope so, but I'm not so sure the gap is that great now, particularly the sides who go up automatically and they still have players with championship experience.

Takeover imminent,  momentum from promotion and a couple of recent signings suggests they will be full of confidence.  Important we impose ourselves from the off and evidence the apparent  quality we have in.our squad.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, striker said:

Hope so, but I'm not so sure the gap is that great now, particularly the sides who go up automatically and they still have players with championship experience.

Takeover imminent,  momentum from promotion and a couple of recent signings suggests they will be full of confidence.  Important we impose ourselves from the off and evidence the apparent  quality we have in.our squad.

Yeah well confidence can always be shattered in less than 10 seconds 

13 minutes ago, superowls23 said:

Hope I'm wrong but did anyone think that Dan Wallis not playing for u23s last night means he's travelled wiv squad today as cover for Dawson and Wildsmith. Unless he's injured of course. 

What? You're concerned that a youngster and potential 4th choice keeper who no ones heard wasnt playing in an under 23s game against Corby Town?