Where are the MODERATE #SWFC fans?

3 hours ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

The whole thing is a vanity project. By someone with very little experience of running a business. Who is used to getting their own way where they come from. 

It will all end in tears. Infact, it's already started. 

I was saying that 3 years ago, bit would they listen?, No.

45 minutes ago, David Somni Jennings said:

I post now and then, but my views:

Membership - Makes no difference, I wasn't buying it for £10, £50, £100, £500, so the price of this made zero difference at all. Generally I say, if it's not value for money, don't pay it.

BBC (Radio) - The quickly changing world to "on demand" and subscription, the BBC is doomed. So happening now or in a few years, the BBC will be gone. Radio as a whole will be gone too, with the introduction of things like Alexa, who can play you what you want when you want. On demand is coming and dominating, so the quicker Sheffield Wednesday move to this, the better.

Lack of Spending - I have no issues with this. Personally I'd rather see us play an 18 year old youth than an overpaid 30+ year old, so that weighs heavily, but additionally I think Jos and to some extend our fands, have no idea how a lot of our players are going to perform under Jos and his system, and some of our players we've not seen for a fair portion of a year. I'd rather Jos had a few months seeing them perform before making any judgements.

Chairman - Takes a lot of stick on here, but he's put more money into this club than any one of us, and that deserves some respect. I like that he holds fans forums, and is learning on the job. He's made mistakes and we are suffering for it now, so I can't fault him for holding onto his money for now, until we are in a position of better understanding. Average Championship players are selling for £10m at the moment, I'm glad "our" wallet has stayed in the pocket.

Fans - If OwlsTalk is any reflection of our whole fan base then it worries me a little. We all know we had a horrid season last season, changed the manager and had no end of injuries. But, we are like angry dogs on a lead at the moment. The slightest thing is "the end of the world". The sad thing though is that we don't actually ask the right question - The BBC Radio being an example, rather than calmly ask "ok, will there be another option available at no cost?" we jump to "this has lost us thousands of fans and its the end of the club!". 

I wish we'd get back to being the fanbase that spent 80 minutes at Wembley bouncing and singing.

Personally I don't think so I lot of people still like listening to Chris Evans in a morning followed by Ken Bruce this sought of Radio will go on longer than you think

I’ve been a supporter for over 60 years and 1991 apart it’s been disappointment all the way! But Sparling’s “Romance of the Wednesday” was written with me in my mind! Think Chansiri is doing his best for a club that seems cursed to me but my fingers are crossed for the start of a re-run of those wonderful seasons from August 1958 to April 1961(i.e. the Catterick years).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Somni Jennings said:

I post now and then, but my views:

Membership - Makes no difference, I wasn't buying it for £10, £50, £100, £500, so the price of this made zero difference at all. Generally I say, if it's not value for money, don't pay it.

BBC (Radio) - The quickly changing world to "on demand" and subscription, the BBC is doomed. So happening now or in a few years, the BBC will be gone. Radio as a whole will be gone too, with the introduction of things like Alexa, who can play you what you want when you want. On demand is coming and dominating, so the quicker Sheffield Wednesday move to this, the better.

Lack of Spending - I have no issues with this. Personally I'd rather see us play an 18 year old youth than an overpaid 30+ year old, so that weighs heavily, but additionally I think Jos and to some extend our fands, have no idea how a lot of our players are going to perform under Jos and his system, and some of our players we've not seen for a fair portion of a year. I'd rather Jos had a few months seeing them perform before making any judgements.

Chairman - Takes a lot of stick on here, but he's put more money into this club than any one of us, and that deserves some respect. I like that he holds fans forums, and is learning on the job. He's made mistakes and we are suffering for it now, so I can't fault him for holding onto his money for now, until we are in a position of better understanding. Average Championship players are selling for £10m at the moment, I'm glad "our" wallet has stayed in the pocket.

Fans - If OwlsTalk is any reflection of our whole fan base then it worries me a little. We all know we had a horrid season last season, changed the manager and had no end of injuries. But, we are like angry dogs on a lead at the moment. The slightest thing is "the end of the world". The sad thing though is that we don't actually ask the right question - The BBC Radio being an example, rather than calmly ask "ok, will there be another option available at no cost?" we jump to "this has lost us thousands of fans and its the end of the club!". 

I wish we'd get back to being the fanbase that spent 80 minutes at Wembley bouncing and singing.

Fancy a pint mate ?

• Haha 1

Year of utter Shambles made worse by the fact it was such an opportunity to engage and excite the fanbase.

However, my inner Wednesday is telling me we could be the surprise package on the pitch this season despite seeming shooting ourselves in the foot at every turn off it.

• Like 1

Been on a while, not posted much but a season ticket holder for over 20 years.

i think we have a great squad this year. The injuries coming back are like new signings. I’m optimistic for the new season and can’t wait to go especially after a full pre season where Jos has been able to stamp his style of play on the team.

I do not agree with pricing at the moment. Whilst season tickets aren’t too bad, U11 23 quid is amazing, membership is appalling. POTD is too high including for away fans. We charge stupid prices so they do too for us, drop prices and introduce a beer tent for away fans at the back of the Lep and rince them that way. 

Shirts are stupid prices too but looking at other clubs prices it’s about the same. Radio Sheffield, I live south of Oxford so doesn’t effect me.

What kills me at the moment is the small % of supporters (and pigs in blankets) that moan at everything the club does and make complete random poo up trying to distablise the club. The Chairman does not deserve the abuse he gets on some social media sites. At the end of the day he’s put his money where his mouth is and has backed the club 100%. Yes he’s made mistakes but every person does. Now we are cutting our cloth accordingly. 

Players...Abdi....regular for Watford, amazing signing, not worked out due injury...Matias....3rd top scorer in Portugal playing from the wing, not worked out due injury......Jones, fantastic promotion record.....Palmer, one of our own....

All do  not deserve the poo they get on social media

There’s no need for the crap and let’s be honest, any player that sees this poo on social media will be effected by it.

New season, fresh tactics, a squad of fully prepared players, surely can’t be like Preston last year.....come on you blue and white wizards.....WAWAW

4 hours ago, SwintOwl said:

Meh

Everyones overreacting. If yoi wanna listen to the matches pay for ifollow. Its not much.

I don't have a choice as I live outside Radio Sheffield range. Having said that I've endured R S's away games commentary on Wednesday Player and iFollow for years, so I'm not in the least bothered to lose them. And I hate A. Giddings with a passion.

So glad I've got that off my chest!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, owltilidie said:

Overall, I try to give Chansiri benefit of the doubt. Fair play to him he’s put in enough cash and allowed us to flirt with promotion. The bed wetting can be tiresome, over the top and overly pessimistic. That said, Chansiri does seem to have a habit of making decisions which I simply don’t understand. The bbc decision is the most recent example. Why bother upsetting the fans? The money involved is short change when placed in context: prob around what abdi earns in a week or fortnight? I think he just doesn’t get the emotion/routines/traditions/sacrifices of being a fan.

Anyway, the main thing for me is that tomorrow at 3pm the owls are kicking off their season and they will have my full support. Over the season I’ll be going to hillsborough for each game, some will be good, some will be crap, I’ll still get the same butterflies when I think about going to the game as I did as a kid, it will still give me something to look forward to when work is sheet on a damp Wednesday in October. And that’s why, overall, the bbc, FFP, Chansiri etc won’t get me posting much. They’re not as big or as important as my love of following the owls. 

IN all fairness BBC made the decision, the club just declined their very kind offer.

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Ok so we've heard from the extremes of both sides of the current debates from memberships to the BBC Commentaries being taken away from Radio Sheffield and brought inhouse to a £5 a month pay site thing

I'd really like to hear from those fans who don't normally speak up or post on here about what their thoughts are on the current state of play.

I think we'd learn more from them than those who post all day every day

Could those who don't normally post or comment please post their current thoughts on things?

(all the regulars please stay out of this one)

I don't think they have been tainted by this site yet to comment. Leave them be.......

I think I probably fall into Neil’s original description. Been on Owlstalk for years, but mainly read stuff rather than post. Enjoy the craic on here and find it either therapeutic when we lose or enjoy basking a bit when we win. Been a member for last 4 years, was a season ticket holder as a kid but haven’t for a number of years due to work. Found the membership price rises really galling, I’d have put up with a tenner rise, even £20 at a push, but £40 is a wee wee take. Radio Sheff thing: won’t affect me massively to be honest, but I’m not the point. What is, is the people who can’t afford (or haven’t got the technical nous) to subscribe to something else. Just feels again like our chairman is determined to ‘shake things up’ without really knowing the nature of what he is challenging. To be the only club to refuse this deal feels again like being antagonistic for the sake of it and I’m not sure he’s got the credit built up to do that.

I’m grateful he’s the owner, I’m grateful he’s got money. I’m not sure there’s anybody out there better for us. But with all that said, to sign absolutely nobody, to raise prices like he has and to pick these needless fights, all seems to be a bit strange to me and seems to speak of a bloke losing control, rather than gaining it.

• Like 1

I think it really depends on how much you think it will impact others, and how much you care about that. Everyone on here is obviously tech savvy enough to be able to sign up to the alternative, and I guess the vast majority, if not all, would be able to afford it. As I kid I grew up in a mainly Utd supporting family, so in those days (early 90's) the radio was great for me to feel in touch, I doubt as a 6 - 10 year old I listened to a lot of games, but I still remember hearing a few. I've no idea whether if I'd been born 25 years later it would be a concern now or if the highlights and the various places you can get a view on a game would be enough. There will be less and less people who don't have the know how or the technology to use iFollow, but if the decision leaves anyone unable to follow Wednesday, young or old, its a huge shame.

I can understand that for DC his priority will never be fans that, during his time here, haven't put their money his way, but I think the really sad thing is the amount on here (and social media etc) who have an 'I'm alright Jack' type of attitude. Even if you aren't affected at the moment no one should forget that there is nothing to stop prices been increased next year, and as more people drift away there'll be less and less left to object.

5 hours ago, Chris Apolon said:

I'm a long time reader. Never actually posted once. Been an owls fan for many years after feeling sorry for them losing against arsenal 25 years ago. Remember a calendar episode where we beat someone (Leeds?) 5-2 (I think) where they said "the owls goalscorer woes continued with 5 different scorers". Being in Devon I even watched us lose to Exeter in their shithole of a stadium. So what do i think?

I think far too many owls have reason for pessism before a ball has been kicked. We have out best players raring to go, we have a manager I admire and trust without the ridiculous sound bites. Many owls are mistaking pride of the club and pride of the team. Am I proud of the team, the coach and what they are saying. Yes. I am. And I think we'll finish above the pigs. Am I proud of the the club's silence on matters? The BBC radio silence? No. I do however understand commercial decisions need to be made for the betterment of the club, the club I started supporting 25 years ago out of pity and the club I still support now out of pride

Nice post. You should do it more often.

Think the pity might kick in again soon.

36 minutes ago, Waddling Owl said:

I think I probably fall into Neil’s original description. Been on Owlstalk for years, but mainly read stuff rather than post. Enjoy the craic on here and find it either therapeutic when we lose or enjoy basking a bit when we win. Been a member for last 4 years, was a season ticket holder as a kid but haven’t for a number of years due to work. Found the membership price rises really galling, I’d have put up with a tenner rise, even £20 at a push, but £40 is a wee wee take. Radio Sheff thing: won’t affect me massively to be honest, but I’m not the point. What is, is the people who can’t afford (or haven’t got the technical nous) to subscribe to something else. Just feels again like our chairman is determined to ‘shake things up’ without really knowing the nature of what he is challenging. To be the only club to refuse this deal feels again like being antagonistic for the sake of it and I’m not sure he’s got the credit built up to do that.

I’m grateful he’s the owner, I’m grateful he’s got money. I’m not sure there’s anybody out there better for us. But with all that said, to sign absolutely nobody, to raise prices like he has and to pick these needless fights, all seems to be a bit strange to me and seems to speak of a bloke losing control, rather than gaining it.

He seemed to want to pick fights last year when telling fans to stat away.

Not the actions of a smart, rational football club owner.