Where are the MODERATE #SWFC fans?

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Ok so we've heard from the extremes of both sides of the current debates from memberships to the BBC Commentaries being taken away from Radio Sheffield and brought inhouse to a £5 a month pay site thing

I'd really like to hear from those fans who don't normally speak up or post on here about what their thoughts are on the current state of play.

I think we'd learn more from them than those who post all day every day

Could those who don't normally post or comment please post their current thoughts on things?

(all the regulars please stay out of this one)

Maybe they've packed in posting due to the continual click-bait topics.

I'd say I'm a moderate. Moderate views include (a) that some things have definitely improved under Chansiri (far better players here, two promotion campaigns, pitch and some stadium upgrades) (b) transfer policy hasn't been as disastrous as is sometimes said (yes, there have been failures) (c) CC was perhaps unduly lionised for a while but nowadays doesn't get his dues, and two top six finishes should get him some credit (d) there is an element of pure bad luck about last season's injuries; also long injury lists and prominent signings being out for months happens to most clubs (e) on pricing, it's fine to tilt people to ST; and high POTG for the rare attenders isn't the end of the world, assuming we have a membership scheme to plug the gap. 

The recent membership decision was to me the worst he has taken - it took a weak point in the offer (not a generous or creative enough deal for the several times per season fan) and made it far worse. This decision about R Sheffield is less important but it feels of a piece with some other things he has done ie followed a point of principle as he has defined it, with no obvious chance of reward. If it was realistic to think the lost BBC revenues could be replaced, in my view other clubs would have done so.

On the pitch I think there is an outside chance of a sensational season. If we've picked a winner in Jos, then there is enough there with reasonable luck with injuries. His reluctance to play three up front (w FF or even Matias behind a front two) make me wonder if he is indeed the man, but I would wish him all the best, no doubt at all about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Seems that no fun can be had on OT these days without either "side" taking everything too seriously. 

As fans we used to enjoy a bit of (hate the word) banter on here and in fanzines. 

Now you have to tow the party line according to many on here. When did it all become so serious for so many on here? 

• Like 1

Overall, I try to give Chansiri benefit of the doubt. Fair play to him he’s put in enough cash and allowed us to flirt with promotion. The bed wetting can be tiresome, over the top and overly pessimistic. That said, Chansiri does seem to have a habit of making decisions which I simply don’t understand. The bbc decision is the most recent example. Why bother upsetting the fans? The money involved is short change when placed in context: prob around what abdi earns in a week or fortnight? I think he just doesn’t get the emotion/routines/traditions/sacrifices of being a fan.

Anyway, the main thing for me is that tomorrow at 3pm the owls are kicking off their season and they will have my full support. Over the season I’ll be going to hillsborough for each game, some will be good, some will be crap, I’ll still get the same butterflies when I think about going to the game as I did as a kid, it will still give me something to look forward to when work is sheet on a damp Wednesday in October. And that’s why, overall, the bbc, FFP, Chansiri etc won’t get me posting much. They’re not as big or as important as my love of following the owls. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, modboy said:

Seems that no fun can be had on OT these days without either "side" taking everything too seriously. 

As fans we used to enjoy a bit of (hate the word) banter on here and in fanzines. 

Now you have to tow the party line according to many on here. When did it all become so serious for so many on here? 

100%

There's not much room for banter and laughs anymore sadly as everything gets shut down by either extreme side

Owlstalk Shop

As usual a topic is started and people go off at tangents and some just like to drag in the same old boring subjects. As someone said earlier this site can be funny and informative but at the moment everybody is suicidal and a ball hasn’t been kicked yet.

It’s a good thing that people can air their differences and vent their spleen but to change every topic to do this is tedious. I don’t agree with slagging off our own players as some seem to do all the time and I also don’t like the lack of respect shown at times but this may be an age thing. I have supported my team for over fifty years and so do my sons and daughter and have disagreed with lots of things and like a good moan but with-in reason. I’m a season ticket holder but can’t get to most midweek matches due to work but when I have tried to get Radio Sheffield on line it does not work so I won’t miss it.

Can Bambi not do a commentary like he does for the videos as I love his enthusiasm and most people have internet access now? If we are as bad as some people are saying who is going to miss the radio commentary it could stop them getting depressed until they see the score the next morning. I personally think we will do alright this season but will wait until we have had at least ten games before I make a judgement on how good a season, hope all who want us to do well get their wish and enjoy our team this season.

In Jos we trust. WAWAW.

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

When did we "lead" before?

I think its a self defeating f.ook up

We have a rich history in English football. Admittedly we have lost our way in recent history but I truly believe the Chairman is trying to rectify this. If you are of the opinion that we have played no part in the formation of football and how it is played and conducted worldwide today then of course that is your prerogative, I believe otherwise.

As for aggressive swearing and attempted intimidation of an infrequent poster is your goal then I'm afraid it won't work. I have an opinion and thought I'd share it.

For one whom is usually so eloquent (I read the site frequently but seldom post) I am bitterly disappointed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Ok so we've heard from the extremes of both sides of the current debates from memberships to the BBC Commentaries being taken away from Radio Sheffield and brought inhouse to a £5 a month pay site thing

I'd really like to hear from those fans who don't normally speak up or post on here about what their thoughts are on the current state of play.

Could those who don't normally post or comment please post their current thoughts on things?

Moderate Wednesday fans lol I'm more of a Wednesday Taliban :tongue:

I always attempt to listen to the match via bbc radio sheffield online but only for it to told some licensing is preventing it. I imagine I'll go onto the local radio station when Weds are away and listen to it that way or just via soccer saturday. I feel sorry for the folks that have listened to it via bbc radio sheffield for the last few years.

38 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

100%

There's not much room for banter and laughs anymore sadly as everything gets shut down by either extreme side

the problem that follows Neil / @OWLSTALK is that long standing posters will be driven away.

You now see many just post in the non-SWFC sections. These were the life and blood of OT, what made it fun. Silly topics such as the un-PC Mingdom Mingers, the FF and his bike gif thread etc etc.

Its a bit like the brexit debacle where people wont change their public persona, even if deep down they know things arent quite what they thought they might be and claim its all #projectfear . You only have to see the spilt Majid is having on the city.

I don't understand the decision to be honest, the money involved is hardly going to make any difference if we're under an embargo or right up against the fence when it comes to FFP.  Without going off on too much on a tangent, at times it does seem that only two sets of fans are wanted season ticket holders or those who are willing to pay the top rate POTD prices(with the membership scheme prices seemingly to push towards one or the other).

I don't believe for one second the club is trying intentionally to alienate people, but in my mind there is no doubt that some of the decisions taken over the last couple of years have done just that. Maybe we've tried and no one is interested in naming rights to the ground(it might be unpopular, people will still call it Hillsborough) surely that would bring in more money than, trying to persuade people who can't attend all games for whatever reason to pay £90 for a membership or a fiver a month for audio coverage.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

Never been slagged before I've even opened a thread before. This is a new experience. Immoderate... Neil, how dare you?! I hope you twang your nuts against the bath next time you climb in. 

I post now and then, but my views:

Membership - Makes no difference, I wasn't buying it for £10, £50, £100, £500, so the price of this made zero difference at all. Generally I say, if it's not value for money, don't pay it.

BBC (Radio) - The quickly changing world to "on demand" and subscription, the BBC is doomed. So happening now or in a few years, the BBC will be gone. Radio as a whole will be gone too, with the introduction of things like Alexa, who can play you what you want when you want. On demand is coming and dominating, so the quicker Sheffield Wednesday move to this, the better.

Lack of Spending - I have no issues with this. Personally I'd rather see us play an 18 year old youth than an overpaid 30+ year old, so that weighs heavily, but additionally I think Jos and to some extend our fands, have no idea how a lot of our players are going to perform under Jos and his system, and some of our players we've not seen for a fair portion of a year. I'd rather Jos had a few months seeing them perform before making any judgements.

Chairman - Takes a lot of stick on here, but he's put more money into this club than any one of us, and that deserves some respect. I like that he holds fans forums, and is learning on the job. He's made mistakes and we are suffering for it now, so I can't fault him for holding onto his money for now, until we are in a position of better understanding. Average Championship players are selling for £10m at the moment, I'm glad "our" wallet has stayed in the pocket.

Fans - If OwlsTalk is any reflection of our whole fan base then it worries me a little. We all know we had a horrid season last season, changed the manager and had no end of injuries. But, we are like angry dogs on a lead at the moment. The slightest thing is "the end of the world". The sad thing though is that we don't actually ask the right question - The BBC Radio being an example, rather than calmly ask "ok, will there be another option available at no cost?" we jump to "this has lost us thousands of fans and its the end of the club!". 

I wish we'd get back to being the fanbase that spent 80 minutes at Wembley bouncing and singing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Teat-Owl said:

Hi I'm teat-owl and I'm a moderate.

Tickets are the same price as the last couple of seasons, DC has explained the reason.

Don't mind the shirt prices, they're not insanely different to most clubs. Want a pro-fit and you can afford it, go for it, it's only going towards the club. 

Already subscribe to ifollow.

Think we haven't bought any players because we're doing the right thing by p&s and I think that's the right decision.

All these accusations DC is trying to rinse the fans are rediculous. Chansiri hasn't personally made a penny from the club it's all to try and meet the p&s. Maybe he's pushed that as far as he can, maybe too far in some instances (memberships) but I think he's genuine and has the best interests of the club at heart. Yeah he's made a few mistakes but show me a club that hasn't in an effort to get promoted (at least we're not Derby fans)

We're in a better place than we were 5 years ago.

Plenty of fantastic players throughout the squad and personally I'm looking forward to the season.

Pretty much mirrors my opinion.. other than the fantastic players bit, I’m worried we’re a bit weak and vulnerable in the middle and at the back. 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Are you sure it’s not just pigs stirring it up mate?  You can usually tell who the genuine fans are because it’s a measured debate, or properly informed because they go to the games. 

Just now, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Are you sure it’s not just pigs stirring it up mate?  You can usually tell who the genuine fans are because it’s a measured debate, or properly informed because they go to the games. 

They're Wednesday fans mate - yes.

Many people on here go to games and are batshit crazy too you know

lol

Owlstalk Shop