The 70 year old Owl

Looks forward all week to switching on the radio at 3pm to listen to his lifelong love as he can no longer physically get to games. He eats a sandwich and drinks a pot of tea lovingly prepared by his wife as he settles in his favourite chair. She potters in the garden and smiles to herself as her husband of 50 years cheers a goal for the second love of his life. 

Conjure that beatiful image in your head. Then just thoughtlessly bin it for the sake of a couple of quid. 

Share me your images and hopefully Mr C will u-turn on this selfish travesty. 

Lorry driver ?

On holiday ?

BBQ in the garden ? 

Night game in the car on way home from work ? 

Sad times. 

• Haha 2

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
19 minutes ago, FutureOwl said:

Looks forward all week to switching on the radio at 3pm to listen to his lifelong love as he can no longer physically get to games. He eats a sandwich and drinks a pot of tea lovingly prepared by his wife as he settles in his favourite chair. She potters in the garden and smiles to herself as her husband of 50 years cheers a goal for the second love of his life. 

Conjure that beatiful image in your head. Then just thoughtlessly bin it for the sake of a couple of quid. 

Lorry driver ?

On holiday ?

BBQ in the garden ? 

Sad times. 

The home games he used to go to were very rarely broadcast and quite a few away games too.

As a pensioner I'll be picking my home games to attend and supplementing that by listening/watching on ifolliw.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

I have a season ticket and go to home games, on away days i tend to be out and about getting notifications of the scores. Many a time i have got back in the car from doing jobs, running the kids around or been on a walk and put the radio to hear how it is going. That will be going for me with ifollow. It obviously affects others more and it is sad that it is going. It's sad that the BBC bid less when there isn't much to base that on and it is sad wednesday are charging £5 to listen now.

Quite frankly DC aint getting a penny out of me until he starts to run the club so that it matches and reflects the ethos and the spending power of its fanbase.

Not having i follow, Not paying 39 quid to sit on the kop, not paying 90 for membership, not sponking 99 sheets for a match wearable shirt or any of the other plain daft unworkable schemes or pricing structures designed to milk the maximum out of the fanbase and corporate supporters of the club. We are being made to suffer for the bad decisions made by the club owner.

Appreciate the sentiment, mate,  but I’m 70 on Tuesday and I’m not pottering or incontinent yet.

70 is the new 60, or summat.

Most of us don’t spend our days huddled round the radio phoning Rony wrapped in blankets. Some  of us can work our way round t’internet and I follow every match on the wonderful, thought provoking medium of the OMDT. 

I gave up on RS coverage of away matches about 4 years ago cos it’s so bloody depressing. I blame Russ Wilcox for that.

You have to remember that when we started going the teleprinter on Grandstand was ground breaking technology and full match commentary on the radio was a pipe dream.

Im sure we’ll cope somehow though it does seem a pretty rubbish decision 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FutureOwl said:

Why don’t we all get a bit more passive and let this pr1ck completely ruin the club. 

Passive aggressive may be his modus operandi, but he's pretty innocuous and definitely unlikely to ruin our club with his posts.

Hang about - you mean the chairman, don't you? 

:duntmatter:

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, FutureOwl said:

Lorry driver ?

On holiday ?

BBQ in the garden ? 

Sad times. 

I realise your post is well meant, but I am of a similar age that you're implying.

Rather than agreeing with you I feel patronised.

Hey, I turned 70 a couple of years ago, We’re not all decrepit old farts huddled by the cats whisker. (don’t suppose you know what that is).

I still have a season ticket and get to all the home matches and can easily use the internet thanks very much.

70 is the new 50. Don’t class us all as incompetent.

ps I don’t agree with stopping Radio Sheffield free commentary by the way, even though I can’t get reception where I live.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Hey, I turned 70 a couple of years ago, We’re not all decrepit old farts huddled by the cats whisker. (don’t suppose you know what that is).

I still have a season ticket and get to all the home matches and can easily use the internet thanks very much.

70 is the new 50. Don’t class us all as incompetent.

ps I don’t agree with stopping Radio Sheffield free commentary by the way, even though I can’t get reception where I live.

Cats whiskers ? Crystal sets ?

Remember your first transistor Radio. Diabolical reception.

Always thought Hilversum was somewhere near Luxembourg??

The description fits my dad exactly. 

Except my my dad is signed upto iFollow so this will have zero impact on him. 

I find it odd that all ‘old’ people are assumed to be incapable of using the internet. 

70 and still playing footy - and no not that walking garbage .

Point is there are those who cant make it to footy for one reason or another and for away games what's the max allocation we get - 4500 at Villa . So there are potentially another 20,000 who would normally go to home matches hanging on to the transistor for the away games .I just dont get D C . Piggies must be loving all this . I've mates who came to Sheffield to work , Uni etc , love footy , but choose to go to the Lane now and then because it is cheaper and in their eyes provides better football and facilities . Despite their disputes at Board level they still seem to be better able to run a club than we are at the moment . Sad.