Jos says no incoming players to #SWFC

2 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Hunt - Meh, not bothered

Venancio - Did ok. Just another Sasso for me. We have Hutch and Thornily fit? Better than like for like i'd say

Yes our full backs are weak, have been for years

We also lack pace, have done since JJ and Antonio

And we also lack bite in the form of a real beast at the back, have done for years.

I think all in all we are probably slightly stronger than last year and we'll be fitter.

That puts us mid table IMHO

Both played more than Palmer and Thorniley in the successful end of season spell you referenced and we all know what relying on the continued fitness of Hutchinson is worth.  

33 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

The worrying thing for me is the 11 players entering the last 12 months of their deals to include Lee, Hooper, Westwood, Bannan, Joao, there is no sign of resigning these so will then want to resign to a club being run as badly as ours.

Pudil today and Bannan last week stated they want to end their careers here so yes some will want to sign 

Apparently, if we are in breach of the New P&S rules, one of the sanctions the EFL can impose is to refuse to register 'new' contracts to existing players.

If we are under any restrictions imposed by the EFL, maybe this is the reason we haven't been able to secure the futures of our best players.

34 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Two words my good man, and they rhyme with "Dig" and "Pages". 

As for a club paying 50% of a salary for the duration of a loan period, anyone remember how over the last couple of years, a stream of posters with various reputations on here have come in and stated that DC isn't interested in loaning players out unless all expenses are paid by the club we're giving them to? And remember how the general consensus from these posters is that DC can be quite stubborn?

I think we've got the answers. 

Understand what you are saying but DC policy ain't working we are up poo creak without a paddle.

If we can find team that will take big earners but only pay 50% of their salaries then we need to do these deals, if we could offload half of what Jones, Abdi and Matias are on - off the wages this would save us millions. This sort of thing could be the difference to getting a couple of loans in or having 4 or 5 players sat in the stands all season on £20,000+ a week ala Abdi and Matias.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

The 3rd option would be to just tell it as it is and answer the question straight. Not saying it would be the right thing to do, might result in him getting the boot but not sure that would be a good move by DC.

Agree, and were I in charge I'd strongly consider doing that.

But I'm no football manager or expert... maybe in his shoes he doesn't see the point in poo-pooing his employer and poo-pooing his squad. Would be a heck of a motivator that wouldn't it "Well, if it were down to me you wouldn't be playing, but I've got no choice but to start you so go out there and fill your boots as best you can son". 

See no evidence he's a yes man yet. 

6 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

He would have known the score before he came

Would he? Remember a couple of weeks after he joined us he said something along the lines of "Things are happening at this club that I've never seen happen anywhere else before"? I reckon he didn't know the full story until well after he signed on the dotted line.

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

Nice spin Jos but really ?

In my 39 years of watching us I don't remember a worse summer than this.

Not one player after last seasons disaster  ?

Jog on. We aren't buying it.

What can the club do if they aren't allowed to sign anyone?  Genuine question.

9 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Hunt - Meh, not bothered

Venancio - Did ok. Just another Sasso for me. We have Hutch and Thornily fit? Better than like for like i'd say

Same regarding Hunt, though my concern is what's left in the squad to play in Hunt's position. Palmer and a kid, that leaves me pretty bothered.

Losing out on Venancio and letting Loovens leave, so we are two centre halves down on last season - and we didn't have many to pick from to start with!

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

13 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Every squad needs freshening up. 

Palmer at first choice right back? Defence weaker than last season? Still not addressed the issue of pace in the side?

So we've lowered our aspirations. I don't mind that if we're promoting youth and trimming the wage bill. What stinks is the fact the club expects fans to pay ridiculous prices for a half arsed attempt at going up. 

This 100%

4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Agree, and were I in charge I'd strongly consider doing that.

But I'm no football manager or expert... maybe in his shoes he doesn't see the point in poo-pooing his employer and poo-pooing his squad. Would be a heck of a motivator that wouldn't it "Well, if it were down to me you wouldn't be playing, but I've got no choice but to start you so go out there and fill your boots as best you can son". 

See no evidence he's a yes man yet. 

Would he? Remember a couple of weeks after he joined us he said something along the lines of "Things are happening at this club that I've never seen happen anywhere else before"? I reckon he didn't know the full story until well after he signed on the dotted line.

Fair enough on the morale thing. 

Not sure about him not knowing much of what he was walking into though. Having walked out on his previous job you would have thought he would do a fair amount of work on due diligence when taking his next job in a new league in a new country. 

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

Nice spin Jos but really ?

In my 39 years of watching us I don't remember a worse summer than this.

Not one player after last seasons disaster  ?

Jog on. We aren't buying it.

Lower no table at best this season is my guess. We have no pace , no power we are missing a commanding centre half . 

No one really knows how we'll get on, but we look weak in midfield and full back areas, but we may still get in some loans in these areas.

I'm hoping we go out like Keegans' Newcastle and attack like crazy knowing we may concede 2 or 3 every game.

1 minute ago, thebizzle said:

The club is extremely bad at everything.

This is the starting points

Improve the numbers of fans that POTG - this is by reduce say £5 a game run with int for 5 or 6 games and see what effect it has on the overall income on match days (this includes food, drink etc)

Corporate areas the prices are a joke for each game and for the season, across the board cut these 30% and see what upkeep they get - ADVERTISE  the changes

Sponsorship of the shirts - get rid of the Elv8 sponsor tag they make the shirts not sponsor them, DC putting in more money for his sponsorship due to the increasing exposure of the team and the league or we find an external sponsor who will pay the going rate.

Stadium naming rights - every other team in the division does it we don't why not - even if we only get £100,000 that £100,000 more than we had without it.

The tickets packages are too rigid - lets have half season ticket packages, week end package, mid week packages, 5 game package etc other club do this again we don't why not. 

How much of Hillsborough is in use on none match days, is the Dooley lounge and other areas book up daily for event, functions meeting if the answer is no then why not - RUFC have a very good no match day income and we have been so bad at this for years.

Finally if marketing come up with anymore stupid ideas sack the lot of them and save on their salaries.

If any of my ideas are taken up the club will increase its income without ripping off the fans and local business and we have not even got to the selling players.

1 hour ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Grow up.

If there is no money available and he has no budget he can do nothing.

No manager would do anything different.

Partially right from both sides /your opinions guys. If we could do some wheeling and dealing getting 2/3 fringe players out, then we should have room to bring some  bargains back in other managers do do it. 

That said if nobody wants any of those players, due to lack of  form, injuries etc.. it's rather  hard to do. 

10 minutes ago, thebizzle said:

Be a little bit more open and honest, and dont bullshiiit the fans. We are a lot mdon'tore clued up, then we get credit for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

So we pay premier league ticket prices yet cannot bring in one single player to strengthen the team. 

I think it's called building on the current level of investment, maintaining the pricing structure, and extending our ongoing strategy geared towards promotion to the Premier League.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

He's no fool. He's been dealt the cards and is getting on with it without moaning.

I have the utmost respect for how he conducts himself.

Agree 100%.  He's on a hiding to nothing as if we are lingering near the bottom come October we'll all be baying for blood.  1 or two injuries again to key players (E.g. Fessi and Bannan) and we're deep in the brown stuff again, with no funds to bring in cover either.

58 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

The worrying thing for me is the 11 players entering the last 12 months of their deals to include Lee, Hooper, Westwood, Bannan, Joao, there is no sign of resigning these so will then want to resign to a club being run as badly as ours.

Pudil today and Bannan last week stated they want to end their careers here so yes some will want to sign 

I wouldn’t re-sign Lee

I wouldn’t re-sign Hooper

I wouldn’t re-sign Westwood 

I wouldn’t re-sign Hutchinson

I would offer Bannan a years extension now

I would hold off with Pudil until Christmas 

I would offer Joao a years extension now

Abdi please leave ASAP

Jones please leave ASAP 

6 minutes ago, OWLS about that? said:

Agree 100%.  He's on a hiding to nothing as if we are lingering near the bottom come October we'll all be baying for blood.  1 or two injuries again to key players (E.g. Fessi and Bannan) and we're deep in the brown stuff again, with no funds to bring in cover either.

100% this

If we struggle with the team with no signings and relying on kids then guaranteed Jos will be the one to pay the price despite having done nothing wrong

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

We must be one of the only teams in the league that hasnt strengthened their team yet we probably charge the highest amount for tickets, shirts etc. Well run club and all that.

Would have thought the tickets would come down a bit during these lean periods as, well we are supposed to be operating off the principle “you get what you pay for” now.