Jos says no incoming players to #SWFC

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Spurs haven't signed anybody and have whacked their ticket prices up.

Meltdown on CockTalk?   (please don't try and google that at work...)

I think Spurs where in a slightly better starting position than us. We had a very poor season last season and we needed to improve the squad, we havent and if anything have a weaker squad.

I actually don't think there's much wrong with what Jos has said.

Losing the players we've lost isn't a problem. We all knew the squad was bloated and unbalanced. Infact personally there's another 4 or 5 I wish we could get rid of that for various reasons we can't and I'm sure most would agree with that.

There's also nothing wrong with giving some of the younger lads a shot. This squad has badly needed an injection of fresh legs and faces for 2 years. We all know the financial rewards that can come if a young player makes a mark in this league, none of us know the potential cost of us not providing a pathway to the first team for players like Clare and Hirst in the past.

That's all fine. But I also echo all the worries about the defence. I think the difference between the current panic and actually being quite positive going into this season is probably 1 good centre back. A RWB would also have been nice but unlike most I don't hate Palmer. CB is the real issue. We need Lees to stay completely injury free. We need Van Aken to be more than he was last year. We need Pudil to do the business at CB. That's a lot of question marks that I feel would have been eased substantially by the arrival of just one decent and experienced CB. That we've not done that piece of business at least is such a worry.

If we had to offload players to apply with FFP, then why nearly 10 weeks into the transfer window have we only sold 1 player and loaned 1 out.

The worrying thing for me is the 11 players entering the last 12 months of their deals to include Lee, Hooper, Westwood, Bannan, Joao, there is no sign of resigning these so will then want to resign to a club being run as badly as ours.

Then the likes of Palmer, Fox who are our only senior wing backs what ever level they are, they leave and we have no wing backs/ full backs at the whole club.

If we cannot sign anyone at least get our assets in Joao, Westwood, Bannan signed up to longer deals and if Hooper and Lee prove their fitness the same for them. If Palmer is now first choice resign him to a longer deal as whats the point in trying to improve him if he leaves on a free next summer.

For me I cannot understand why rumours on Abdi, Matias, Fletcher have not been followed through - Abdi willing to go back to Switzerland for European football - why no loan, Fletcher wanted in Greece, Matias is a wanted man in Portugal but not on the terms he is with us could we not loan him out paying 50% of his salary can you see him playing much with Reach and Fessi ahead of him in the pecking order.

OR

Do we sell an asset such as Reach, Fessi to sort the FFP issues which will also give us to wiggle room to strengthen weak areas.

You know like a well run football club would do.

32 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Anyone that thinks Jos didn't have about a dozen players he wanted to sign from the continent and available for a cheap-ish price is being extremely blinkered. He probably formulated a list with a dozen more UK-based players back in May that he wanted to bring in if money had been available too.

He's being a word that I think a few Wednesday fans forget the meaning of... professional. Getting on and doing his job. What's there to be gained about publicly stating that we haven't got the squad or resources he wants? Nothing. Let's nip this in the bud before it starts, because I guarantee it's only going to be a matter of months before the rhetoric on Owlstalk is "DC appointed a manager that didn't want to sign any players". 

There is no money for signings. No one wants this situation. We're having to grin and bear it. 

Meanwhile, let's also bear in mind that some posters, even a f*cking idiot student in his early 20's with very very little knowledge about f*cking anything, foresaw this exact situation happening nearly two years ago. So lord knows how the "successful businessman" in charge didn't. 

For a student in his early twenties, you speak a heck of a lot of common sense fella. Kudos to ya! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

The word I used was indifferent not terrible and would say someone who didn't start there 2nd game of last season until 10th April does not have the best injury record recently. 

But hes fit? Hes had one big injury throughout his whole career. That is not indifferent. That's just what happens.

Just now, DELUDED OWL said:

Wow, thats quite a talent you've got there, talkin nonsense about something you think i thought........ bravo fella. 

Sarcasm at work not mindreading!

There is no way if Jos had a choice he would go into the new season without a few tweaks, in my opinion of course. Our defence looks catastrophic.  My worry is that means we may well revert to ultra defensive football to cover the cracks. So we'll end up with boring mid-table drudgery.  A fine reward for paying top dollar. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If everyone could calm down a bit that would be appreciated

Feels like a load of middle aged angry men all ranting at each other

It's a football forum ffs

lol

Honestly. I'm sat here in my pants throwing stuff at the wall.

It's mad Thursday.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If everyone could calm down a bit that would be appreciated

Feels like a load of middle aged angry men all ranting at each other

It's a football forum ffs

lol

think the only thing that will calm the angry middle aged men down is a win at Wigan, dread to think what it will be like if we lose

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

If we had to offload players to apply with FFP, then why nearly 10 weeks into the transfer window have we only sold 1 player and loaned 1 out.

The worrying thing for me is the 11 players entering the last 12 months of their deals to include Lee, Hooper, Westwood, Bannan, Joao, there is no sign of resigning these so will then want to resign to a club being run as badly as ours.

Then the likes of Palmer, Fox who are our only senior wing backs what ever level they are, they leave and we have no wing backs/ full backs at the whole club.

If we cannot sign anyone at least get our assets in Joao, Westwood, Bannan signed up to longer deals and if Hooper and Lee prove their fitness the same for them. If Palmer is now first choice resign him to a longer deal as whats the point in trying to improve him if he leaves on a free next summer.

For me I cannot understand why rumours on Abdi, Matias, Fletcher have not been followed through - Abdi willing to go back to Switzerland for European football - why no loan, Fletcher wanted in Greece, Matias is a wanted man in Portugal but not on the terms he is with us could we not loan him out paying 50% of his salary can you see him playing much with Reach and Fessi ahead of him in the pecking order.

OR

Do we sell an asset such as Reach, Fessi to sort the FFP issues which will also give us to wiggle room to strengthen weak areas.

You know like a well run football club would do.

Pudil today and Bannan last week stated they want to end their careers here so yes some will want to sign 

6 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

But hes fit? Hes had one big injury throughout his whole career. That is not indifferent. That's just what happens.

Yes but his 1 big injury was last season not 5 years ago with 40 games a season under his belt since.

Started something like 3 games since, what will his reaction be to 2 games a week coming up? 

Edited by matthefish2002

On the bright side - we have a settled squad who know and trust each other with a history of relative success and, after last season and the build up to this, something to prove. Many of them are also able to play in multiple positions and we also have a talented crop of youngsters behind them waiting to make a name for themselves. We aren't in anybody's thinking to challenge the top so we have no pressure and the element of surprise. The team are fitter, more organised & now look like a Wednesday side in the new kit. We all expect the worst, hope for better but we are absolutely capable of challenging for the playoffs IF the things fall in our favour. It's new seasons eve, let's enjoy it & hope for a good one.

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Sarcasm at work not mindreading!

There is no way if Jos had a choice he would go into the new season without a few tweaks, in my opinion of course. Our defence looks catastrophic.  My worry is that means we may well revert to ultra defensive football to cover the cracks. So we'll end up with boring mid-table drudgery.  A fine reward for paying top dollar. 

This is the difference between me and this place, i take what the manager/coach says at face value, don't go looking for reasons to berate/belittle the fella, cest la vie. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Two words my good man, and they rhyme with "Dig" and "Pages". 

As for a club paying 50% of a salary for the duration of a loan period, anyone remember how over the last couple of years, a stream of posters with various reputations on here have come in and stated that DC isn't interested in loaning players out unless all expenses are paid by the club we're giving them to? And remember how the general consensus from these posters is that DC can be quite stubborn?

I think we've got the answers. 

21 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

Come on mate you know the elite few on here know better than the owner, manager, coaching staff  

Yes, there were fools on here who even suggested it would be a mistake to sign Jordan Rhodes Good job we left it to the professionals 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Yes but his 1 big injury was last season not 5 years ago with 40 games a season under his belt since.

Started something like 3 games since, what will his reaction be to 2 games a week coming up? 

You seem to be missing the point. Doesn't matter when his injury was. He has had one. That is not indifferent.

He'll be fine. He may pick up slight injuries as they all do. But he'll play 75% at least next year as long as we don't sell him.