Jump to content


@owlstalk

Jos says no incoming players to #SWFC

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

I agree there is a certain amount of us against the world among our support, but this FFP system is corrupt and designed to keep the teams currently in the premier league in it and not let anyone else get in the party. Relegated teams get 40m per year for going down and are allowed to have losses of 80m while the rest of us are only allowed 30m. That's hardly an even playing field. 

Exactly, that's the way I've always seen it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Embargo upheld then?

Hmmm. Don't think we have actually been under an embargo, we have simply taken steps to avoid one being enforced upon us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Player for player our squad is better than Wigan yet we are going there expecting to be mullered. 

 

Why's that?

1. Wigan have just been promoted and will be up for it big time 

2. Don't agree man for man we have a  better team ie ...van aken, fox, Palmer , pelupessey etc are no better than there players 

3. Confidence is at an all time low with our fanbase 

4.ITS THE WEDNESDAY WAY 

  • Like 1
  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

I agree there is a certain amount of us against the world among our support, but this FFP system is corrupt and designed to keep the teams currently in the premier league in it and not let anyone else get in the party. Relegated teams get 40m per year for going down and are allowed to have losses of 80m while the rest of us are only allowed 30m. That's hardly an even playing field. 

I understand it can appear this way and it does seem to create an uneven playing field. However I'm certain that it hasn't been designed to keep the Premier League as a closed shop. Why am I so confident? Well mainly because these rules are designed and enforced by the Football League, not the Premier league. The EFL are hardly going to create rules to deliberately disadvantage their own members.

 

I expect their logic is that clubs being relegated have significantly higher costs to address/manage down. Yes, they receive parachute payments but not sure these fully cover their costs/losses unless they have players they can sell for large sums like Newcastle did. However, if you consider Sunderland, they didn't have much to sell on and look how things went for them.

 

I haven't got the time (or inclination) to perform a full study, but I suspect there are more teams that have been related to League 1 rather than have been re-promoted back to the Premier League.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fans forum on Monday is going to be a lively affair. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a positive, Jos is right that effectively 7 youth players does refresh the squad and gives us new options and youthful, feisty competition.

 

Not expecting much this season but hopefully a few of the new first teamers can develop and show why many managers have been successful combining youth with experience. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

Is that really the case?

 

I think the bigger problem that the fans have is regarding why they were consulted on the price approach, were given the implication that prices would remain high because the strategy to achieve promotion was remaining the same and are now left wondering why we are going to start the season with a weaker squad than finished the last campaign and the seeming impending departure of another 1st team player or 2.

 

I expected this to be a frugal summer but perhaps not to this extent based on what the club stated about the approach. 

 

I certainly didn't renew my season ticket based on the club stating the approach would continue but at the same time fans don't like seemingly being told something that appears not to be the case and being charged more than most other clubs for the privilege. 

we have a winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CadTheOwl said:

On a positive, Jos is right that effectively 7 youth players does refresh the squad and gives us new options and youthful, feisty competition.

 

Not expecting much this season but hopefully a few of the new first teamers can develop and show why many managers have been successful combining youth with experience. 

Thus giving him roughly the same number of players that he had in the squad previously, a squad that he himself said, was too big Bizarre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Thus giving him roughly the same number of players that he had in the squad previously, a squad that he himself said, was too big Bizarre

The youngster's on the whole will most likely still be playing much if their football in the U23's and used sparingly in the first team so not so bizarre really. Would be a bonus if one or two could really push on and become first team regulars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well you're about to be judged on this well balanced squad Jos

 

Your assessment may come back to haunt you

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Thus giving him roughly the same number of players that he had in the squad previously, a squad that he himself said, was too big Bizarre

They will all be on small wages and  have less expectation of playing which makes the squad size less important when they account for a reasonable proportion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Watto said:

1. Wigan have just been promoted and will be up for it big time 

2. Don't agree man for man we have a  better team ie ...van aken, fox, Palmer , pelupessey etc are no better than there players 

3. Confidence is at an all time low with our fanbase 

4.ITS THE WEDNESDAY WAY 

In answer to your Number 3,its a good job fans aren't in charge, surrender monkeys, christ almighty,bit of adversity and out they come !!! 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'I didn't renew my season ticket for us not to invest more etc etc etc' 

 

What is it people don't understand about where we are at the moment? 

 

Continued investment as asked by DC in that survey could mean the ability to hold onto Bannan, Forestieri etc etc. It's not guaranteed we were going to then go and buy 3 more players on 40k a week - we're already at the limit. 

 

Yes, it's the first time in a few years we've not done any transfer activity and myself included - I am pessimistic on how this season will pan out. But we aren't given the divine right to a Top 6 finish by simply investing in a season ticket. 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple way forward scrap Parachute payment and each season a club restructuring fund is put to one side.

 

If a team ala Sunderland is saddled with big debts and unable to pay their own players this fund can be used to help out but under no circumstances are teams allowed to use the fund for signing players.

 

Every club coming down have to adhere to FFP from season one but if teams are aaddled with players on large contracts that they cannot shift the Football league use a bit of common sense with these.

 

The current structure gives teams rewarded for failure an extra £30m to spend on getting promoted. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait for it lol

dummyspit.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well at least those who paid for long term season tickets got half of the seasons filled with excitement of reckless spending. The rest is back to normal of nothingness. 

 

Its it’s like buying a cinema year pass then realising Hollywood are taking 6 months off apart from films like free Willie 5 and serendipity 3

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Simple way forward scrap Parachute payment and each season a club restructuring fund is put to one side.

 

If a team ala Sunderland is saddled with big debts and unable to pay their own players this fund can be used to help out but under no circumstances are teams allowed to use the fund for signing players.

 

Every club coming down have to adhere to FFP from season one but if teams are aaddled with players on large contracts that they cannot shift the Football league use a bit of common sense with these.

 

The current structure gives teams rewarded for failure an extra £30m to spend on getting promoted. 

I actually agree with you that something needs to be done on parachute payments (I'll let you get your breath back now!). 

Not sure a fund would work as some clubs would just factor this in. Think reduced pay on relegation should go into players contracts.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Triple O said:

I actually agree with you that something needs to be done on parachute payments (I'll let you get your breath back now!). 

Not sure a fund would work as some clubs would just factor this in. Think reduced pay on relegation should go into players contracts.

I know but the only real way is to scrap the whole think and writing into every players contract a relegation clause but teams would never sign the better players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Well at least those who paid for long term season tickets got half of the seasons filled with excitement of reckless spending. The rest is back to normal of nothingness. 

 

Its it’s like buying a cinema year pass then realising Hollywood are taking 6 months off apart from films like free Willie 5 and serendipity 3

Gonna be box office smashes them .....

Two great franchises .....lol

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×