Jos says no incoming players to #SWFC

On a positive, Jos is right that effectively 7 youth players does refresh the squad and gives us new options and youthful, feisty competition.

Not expecting much this season but hopefully a few of the new first teamers can develop and show why many managers have been successful combining youth with experience. 

Guest Bulgaria
53 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Is that really the case?

I think the bigger problem that the fans have is regarding why they were consulted on the price approach, were given the implication that prices would remain high because the strategy to achieve promotion was remaining the same and are now left wondering why we are going to start the season with a weaker squad than finished the last campaign and the seeming impending departure of another 1st team player or 2.

I expected this to be a frugal summer but perhaps not to this extent based on what the club stated about the approach. 

I certainly didn't renew my season ticket based on the club stating the approach would continue but at the same time fans don't like seemingly being told something that appears not to be the case and being charged more than most other clubs for the privilege. 

we have a winner.

12 minutes ago, CadTheOwl said:

On a positive, Jos is right that effectively 7 youth players does refresh the squad and gives us new options and youthful, feisty competition.

Not expecting much this season but hopefully a few of the new first teamers can develop and show why many managers have been successful combining youth with experience. 

Thus giving him roughly the same number of players that he had in the squad previously, a squad that he himself said, was too big Bizarre

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Thus giving him roughly the same number of players that he had in the squad previously, a squad that he himself said, was too big Bizarre

The youngster's on the whole will most likely still be playing much if their football in the U23's and used sparingly in the first team so not so bizarre really. Would be a bonus if one or two could really push on and become first team regulars.

21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

They will all be on small wages and  have less expectation of playing which makes the squad size less important when they account for a reasonable proportion.

48 minutes ago, Watto said:

1. Wigan have just been promoted and will be up for it big time 

2. Don't agree man for man we have a  better team ie ...van aken, fox, Palmer , pelupessey etc are no better than there players 

3. Confidence is at an all time low with our fanbase 

4.ITS THE WEDNESDAY WAY 

In answer to your Number 3,its a good job fans aren't in charge, surrender monkeys, christ almighty,bit of adversity and out they come !!! 

'I didn't renew my season ticket for us not to invest more etc etc etc' 

What is it people don't understand about where we are at the moment? 

Continued investment as asked by DC in that survey could mean the ability to hold onto Bannan, Forestieri etc etc. It's not guaranteed we were going to then go and buy 3 more players on 40k a week - we're already at the limit. 

Yes, it's the first time in a few years we've not done any transfer activity and myself included - I am pessimistic on how this season will pan out. But we aren't given the divine right to a Top 6 finish by simply investing in a season ticket. 

Simple way forward scrap Parachute payment and each season a club restructuring fund is put to one side.

If a team ala Sunderland is saddled with big debts and unable to pay their own players this fund can be used to help out but under no circumstances are teams allowed to use the fund for signing players.

Every club coming down have to adhere to FFP from season one but if teams are aaddled with players on large contracts that they cannot shift the Football league use a bit of common sense with these.

The current structure gives teams rewarded for failure an extra £30m to spend on getting promoted. 

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Simple way forward scrap Parachute payment and each season a club restructuring fund is put to one side.

If a team ala Sunderland is saddled with big debts and unable to pay their own players this fund can be used to help out but under no circumstances are teams allowed to use the fund for signing players.

Every club coming down have to adhere to FFP from season one but if teams are aaddled with players on large contracts that they cannot shift the Football league use a bit of common sense with these.

The current structure gives teams rewarded for failure an extra £30m to spend on getting promoted. 

I actually agree with you that something needs to be done on parachute payments (I'll let you get your breath back now!). 

Not sure a fund would work as some clubs would just factor this in. Think reduced pay on relegation should go into players contracts.

1 minute ago, Triple O said:

I actually agree with you that something needs to be done on parachute payments (I'll let you get your breath back now!). 

Not sure a fund would work as some clubs would just factor this in. Think reduced pay on relegation should go into players contracts.

I know but the only real way is to scrap the whole think and writing into every players contract a relegation clause but teams would never sign the better players.

3 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Well at least those who paid for long term season tickets got half of the seasons filled with excitement of reckless spending. The rest is back to normal of nothingness. 

Its it’s like buying a cinema year pass then realising Hollywood are taking 6 months off apart from films like free Willie 5 and serendipity 3

Gonna be box office smashes them .....

Two great franchises .....lol

• Haha 1

Guest Kameron

There is no point in bringing in players for the sake of it, that's what got us in this mess.  We're in a no win situation, advertise the fact we need to offload players and we devalue you them instantly and in doing so hand our competitors quality players for far less than their worth.

A good start to the season is needed to ease some of the concerns that appear to be growing by the day.

1 hour ago, Watto said:

2. Don't agree man for man we have a  better team ie ...van aken, fox, Palmer , pelupessey etc are no better than there players 

4.ITS THE WEDNESDAY WAY 

Be the  Wednesday was to beat Wigan 4-0, everyone saying how brilliant we played. Pressure off and all problems don't seem as bad.
Then lose 1-0 in a dreadful performance next week at home.

1 hour ago, Watto said:

4.ITS THE WEDNESDAY WAY 

All time low? 

Did you start supporting us in 2015?

:duntmatter:

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Anyone that thinks Jos didn't have about a dozen players he wanted to sign from the continent and available for a cheap-ish price is being extremely blinkered. He probably formulated a list with a dozen more UK-based players back in May that he wanted to bring in if money had been available too.

He's being a word that I think a few Wednesday fans forget the meaning of... professional. Getting on and doing his job. What's there to be gained about publicly stating that we haven't got the squad or resources he wants? Nothing. Let's nip this in the bud before it starts, because I guarantee it's only going to be a matter of months before the rhetoric on Owlstalk is "DC appointed a manager that didn't want to sign any players". 

There is no money for signings. No one wants this situation. We're having to grin and bear it. 

Meanwhile, let's also bear in mind that some posters, even a f*cking idiot student in his early 20's with very very little knowledge about f*cking anything, foresaw this exact situation happening nearly two years ago. So lord knows how the "successful businessman" in charge didn't. 

Don't think slagging off a young lad 

helps matters, you should be ashamed. 

Let's hope he doesn't see what you wrote, could end up up with a complex. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brommers said:

Hmmm. Don't think we have actually been under an embargo, we have simply taken steps to avoid one being enforced upon us.

I thought the people who make that decision met yesterday? I’d rather the club just came out and said either way, it’s not like it hadn’t been hidden from the media. Yes I know the owner doesn’t have to come out and say anything but he’d be held in higher regard if he was a bit more transparent. Come out and say we’re holding tight on the purse strings because of x, y and z rather than nobody knowing anything outside of the boardroom.

2 hours ago, Brommers said:

Hmmm. Don't think we have actually been under an embargo, we have simply taken steps to avoid one being enforced upon us.

By enforcing one on ourselves, one has to wonder if its worth it! :)