World cup 2030 England

The F.A are considering a bid to host the 2030 fifa world cup. Hillsborough was selected for the 2018 bid but do you think it'll get selected again? I'm sure the plans that were created to improve Hillsborough would need enhancing further but how?

7 minutes ago, darklord said:

Leeds who'll get any Yorkshire place. 2 in Manchester plus anfield them 3 in London then Newcastle and somewhere random liked Yeovil town. 

If is a UK bid them you'll have even less chance 

Steady Calendar and look Leeds will be quoting you on Twitter with this. 

• Haha 1

There are at least nine football stadia in England with a 40,000+ capacity and this doesn't include Twickenham or other grounds like the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff or the Scottish grounds, if it turns into a UK bid.

However, with the tournament being extended from 32 to 48 countries from 2022, the chances are that more grounds will be needed so there's a fair chance that Hillsborough and several other grounds like The Riverside and Elland Road will be considered.

The way things are going and given the likely requirements, it is possible that, in future, England will become one of only a few countries with the capacity to stage a World Cup tournament.

The Government of the day backed the bid to deflect pressure away from the mess they’re making of Brexit etc and knowing they’ll not be around for it anyway.

Let’s hope that before 2030 we have our border controls sorted out. I wouldn’t bet on it at this rate.

Edited by theowlsman

17 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

The Government of the day backed the bid to deflect pressure away from the mess they’re making of Brexit etc and knowing they’ll not be around for it anyway.

Let’s hope that before 2030 we have our border controls sorted out. I wouldn’t bet on it at this rate.

you will be collecting your pension by then Simon.....

Think of all the other discounts we will get including reduced admission charges....can't wait!!!

The usual rules for fifa is that one city can have two venues, whilst every other ground has to be in another city. This could be changed I suppose, but that does rule out many stadia.

Even if that did change I can't see them allowing more than two in one city. Maybe two in Manchester as well but that would be it imo.

Think we'd have a good chance.

26 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

The usual rules for fifa is that one city can have two venues, whilst every other ground has to be in another city. This could be changed I suppose, but that does rule out many stadia.

Even if that did change I can't see them allowing more than two in one city. Maybe two in Manchester as well but that would be it imo.

Think we'd have a good chance.

Under current rules the capital city plus one other city can have two stadiums hosting games. For the failed 2018 bid obviously London had more than one nominating Wembley, the Emirates and Olympic Stadium, and Manchester was the other with Old Trafford and the Etihad.

I guess now the new Spurs stadium would be picked ahead of the Olympic/London stadium, and with the number of teams being expanded they may need more host cities than they would have done for 2018. For 2018 the proposed venues were :

London x 3

Manchester x 2

Newcastle

Sunderland

Liverpool

Leeds

Birmingham (Villa Park)

Sheffield (Hillsborough)

Nottingham (new stadium for Forest)

Bristol (new stadium for Bristol City)

Plymouth (expanded home park)

Milton Keynes (expanded Stadium MK)

Derby, Hull, Leicester and Portsmouth were also interested but weren't chosen in the final 12 cities. I think they were trying to be geographically fair, but building huge new stadiums in Bristol and vastly expanding Plymouth and MK would just be ridiculous white elephant stadiums after the tournament and never filled again (unless they started taking England internationals around the country again after Wembley is sold). At least most of them would be expansions and improvements which would be cheaper than building a number of stadiums from scratch that will never get used again like they are in Qatar.

I really hope that England would go it alone but with the recent trend for shared hosting I'm sure Scotland and Wales would stick their oar in as well.

16 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Under current rules the capital city plus one other city can have two stadiums hosting games. For the failed 2018 bid obviously London had more than one nominating Wembley, the Emirates and Olympic Stadium, and Manchester was the other with Old Trafford and the Etihad.

I guess now the new Spurs stadium would be picked ahead of the Olympic/London stadium, and with the number of teams being expanded they may need more host cities than they would have done for 2018. For 2018 the proposed venues were :

London x 3

Manchester x 2

Newcastle

Sunderland

Liverpool

Leeds

Birmingham (Villa Park)

Sheffield (Hillsborough)

Nottingham (new stadium for Forest)

Bristol (new stadium for Bristol City)

Plymouth (expanded home park)

Milton Keynes (expanded Stadium MK)

Derby, Hull, Leicester and Portsmouth were also interested but weren't chosen in the final 12 cities. I think they were trying to be geographically fair, but building huge new stadiums in Bristol and vastly expanding Plymouth and MK would just be ridiculous white elephant stadiums after the tournament and never filled again (unless they started taking England internationals around the country again after Wembley is sold). At least most of them would be expansions and improvements which would be cheaper than building a number of stadiums from scratch that will never get used again like they are in Qatar.

I really hope that England would go it alone but with the recent trend for shared hosting I'm sure Scotland and Wales would stick their oar in as well.

Those stadiums would have been trimmed down though I'd have thought, FIFA had final say and I believe the bid committee put them all forward as they couldn't decide between them.

Ashton Gate is now basically a new stadium, the one proposed, and I can't see them expanding any further.

I think FIFA would prefer a shared bid over a single one, so Scotland and Wales would likely be involved. TBF that's probably the only way they'll ever host a World Cup, so I'd probably let them.

London (Wembley + Emirates/New WHL)

Manchester (Old Trafford)

Liverpool (Anfield)

Sunderland

Newcastle

Birmingham (Villa Park)

Sheffield (Hillsborough)
Leeds

Leicester

Southampton

Derby or Nottingham

Edinburgh (Murrayfield)

Glasgow (Celtic Park)

Cardiff (Millennium)

Swansea

That would create a fair balance. If we had the last 4 to England, we would create a lot more white elephant stadiums which FIFA would like to try to avoid again I'm sure (especially after the likely Qatar farce).

2 hours ago, Lombado said:

you will be collecting your pension by then Simon.....

Think of all the other discounts we will get including reduced admission charges....can't wait!!!

An elderly, portly, wife pole dancing whilst wearing nipple tassels. I can hardly wait.