Remember THIS? (this is for all you oldies out there)

Just now, Lichfield alien said:

There’s mumbling of a reunion for the wino express..I know a few of passed away but still plenty goin strong from old ball mob and timbertop

See a couple of lads pre match in forty foot ...laugh about it now...our sons say we are making it all up !!! Ha ha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, erowl said:

Jack came over to calm things down and ended up in the firing line lol

Ended up doing an about turn and leaving us to it!

Remember a copper catching one full on from back of that away end ... Was full of rubble (ammunition) WTF:

Think you are getting mixed up with the snow balling v Arsenal 

He left the pitch in tears at the Oldham game 

1 hour ago, S A Andy said:

Also on the Oldham end before the game, when it kicked off, we were persuaded by the local PC's to walk around to the away end.   The smirk of Stainrods face says it all.  If I remember rightly Big Jack threatened to resign after the game.  3 away match bans, Derby away was amusing with our lads singing "We're not here...etc". Happy days.  And cheers Rob, my round in Dronfield next time I see you.

4 games, I thought. Grimsby, Derby, Bristol Rovers and Swansea? I only went to the Grimsby and Derby games but it was easy to get in.

I was on the away end,it was my birthday.Owls fans overan the home end and took their kop,but the OB begun leading off groups of owls and re locating them to the away end,which was a building site due to chelsea fans having ripped up the old wooden stand and burning it down the season before.As the game wore on it became noticeable that the OB had left behind a small contingent of owls,around a 100 or so on the kop end and they were getting tonked as the oldham lads now had the larger numbers,this caused obvious concern among the away end who begun a rescue mission,tearing down the fencing and using it as weapons against the OB who were trying to keep us where we were,but the numbers prevailed and owls fans begun to stream down both sides of the ground to help their commrades,around this time Curran tackles stainrod who falls like currans got a gun,and Tyson sends him off,in an already tense atmosphere the away end erupts into a volcano of hate,and the obvious targets are the OB,who are hopelessly outnumbered,the ground emptied pretty quickly,but once order was restored the game continued in eary sort of calm after 40 minutes or so of absolute mayhem.We lost 0-2,I think young Phil Campbell made his debut as a sub in a strange subdued atmosphere,prety sure Wylde was playing as he made the move the season before and had a decent game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roaminowl said:

4 games, I thought. Grimsby, Derby, Bristol Rovers and Swansea? I only went to the Grimsby and Derby games but it was easy to get in.

I was at Oldham and remember the police cordon set up on the goal line, well within range of the Wednesday artillery. I also vaguely recall the dogs being let loose on the wrong end and on the side terrace where there were families with young kids. Anybody remember that?

A youth in front of us joined in the barrage of concrete blocks only to be met with a thump from my mate who summarily stopped him. There was no cctv then so, basically, the lad got away with chucking lumps of broken terracing at Plod and my mate got away with a possible assault charge albeit with mitigating circumstances.

We also got tickets for Grimsby, which must have been their biggest attendance of the season, and a midweek match, too.

Pubs between Sheffield and Grimsby had been warned to stay closed because of travelling fans and many did do so. Fortunately, another mate had one of those new CAMRA Guide books so we were able to find a pub off the beaten track on the way home.

Just another day at the office for the times. Glad we've all grown up a bit since then.

• Like 1

I was as far away as was possible to be  in the stand diagonally opposite the Owls fans and the TC/SS spat. Watched it bubble for a minute or two. Then the small section of stand set aside for us owls fans started getting showered with missiles (Stones etc). Not too many but enough to keep us on our toes.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

8 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

TBH I was under the impression he was a Wednesdayite as well.

was there that day.

just our luck we got separated after the game and 3 of us bumped into their only (about a dozen) hardcases.  Didn’t realise they were Oldham fans at first as they have Owls on the their scarves.

The trouble was blown up out of all proportion and the tannoy was repeatedly pleading for everyone to get off the pitch when there was only police on it.

TV news crews were there before the end of the match.

went to two of the games we were banned from.

Yep I remember the tannoy announcements to clear the pitch and thinking if the police got off it then there’d be nothing to throw at and it’d all die down. It was only that that caused the match to be stopped for so long.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Yeah my mistake.

Wasn’t Wylde nvolved in something in another match that kicked off, which possibly made me think of him??

My advancing years mean my memory is as fuzzy as yours my friend, and i wasnt there that day as i was playing in Wales in a sister company challenge match weekend type thing but,.............................i could have sworn that Rodger Wylde played for Oldham on the day of the riot..............i thought him and Stainrod were their front two that day, and a pretty good front two as well.

Stainrod was a wind up merchant, but also a really good player, and i remember being pleased when we signed him , but Wilko never gave him a chance.

I went to the first "banned" game at Derby and remember seeing TC never get a kick against an ageing Roy Mcfarland.................what a centre half he was.

4 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

My advancing years mean my memory is as fuzzy as yours my friend, and i wasnt there that day as i was playing in Wales in a sister company challenge match weekend type thing but,.............................i could have sworn that Rodger Wylde played for Oldham on the day of the riot..............i thought him and Stainrod were their front two that day, and a pretty good front two as well.

Stainrod was a wind up merchant, but also a really good player, and i remember being pleased when we signed him , but Wilko never gave him a chance.

I went to the first "banned" game at Derby and remember seeing TC never get a kick against an ageing Roy Mcfarland.................what a centre half he was.

I’m sure you’re right, mate.

I think Wylde did play that day and it’s that that’s thrown us.

Ive been trying to think of a match where Wylde got sent off since rob mentioned it and just can’t recall one.

Perhaps it was having our one time hero playing for them that added to our disgruntlement on the day ?

Funny how some things are as clear as day and other memories are just a blur

9 hours ago, Hughdowd said:

Simon stainrod struggled to get in Ecclesfield comprehensive school team !!!... great away days then ....all for one ..one for all....fat sid ..bathtub..weeny....loved it !!!

No he didn't. He was on United's books and him and Nick Mallinder were the best players at Ecco in those two years..think Mallinder went to Rovrum but he was a big lad at an early age who didn't develop. Stainrod was a much better all-round player...still a 'Blade' though. 

I was there...the away end at Oldham would never have been allowed to be open if it had been given a safety check. There was concrete and rubble all over the bloody place. 

Was also there.. one of my first away games with my dad, his mate and his son.. 12 year old on the open away end.. poo scared when the stones / concrete was getting

chucked around. 

Never ever seen scenes like it.. was like a warzone.. we left after what felt like hours of waiting for the game to be re-started.

Guest The Claw
11 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

No we didn't.  We lost 2-0, and your spelling is rubbish.

o yes we did mr spellin polismun

10 hours ago, Lichfield alien said:

There’s mumbling of a reunion for the wino express..I know a few of passed away but still plenty goin strong from old ball mob and timbertop

Saw a load of the old faces at a stag do and wedding in Ecclesfield a few weeks ago  ,I was asked by Stuart to mention the idea everyone I asked was up for it.

11 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

I was on the away end,it was my birthday.Owls fans overan the home end and took their kop,but the OB begun leading off groups of owls and re locating them to the away end,which was a building site due to chelsea fans having ripped up the old wooden stand and burning it down the season before.As the game wore on it became noticeable that the OB had left behind a small contingent of owls,around a 100 or so on the kop end and they were getting tonked as the oldham lads now had the larger numbers,this caused obvious concern among the away end who begun a rescue mission,tearing down the fencing and using it as weapons against the OB who were trying to keep us where we were,but the numbers prevailed and owls fans begun to stream down both sides of the ground to help their commrades,around this time Curran tackles stainrod who falls like currans got a gun,and Tyson sends him off,in an already tense atmosphere the away end erupts into a volcano of hate,and the obvious targets are the OB,who are hopelessly outnumbered,the ground emptied pretty quickly,but once order was restored the game continued in eary sort of calm after 40 minutes or so of absolute mayhem.We lost 0-2,I think young Phil Campbell made his debut as a sub in a strange subdued atmosphere,prety sure Wylde was playing as he made the move the season before and had a decent game.

From what I recall there was a tangle between Curran and stainrod near the touchline , Curran feigns to knee stainrod in the rounduns and he goes down like he's been hit