Jos Luhukay asked if there's a transfer embargo on live radio just now

Just now, WatfordOwl said:

Because at the time he is being asked the question, maybe there isn't anything to publicly say on the matter or has been told not to give an answer.

The truth is nobody knows.

It won't stop the rumour mill circulating but for me I'd sooner we could maybe concentrate on more positive elements approaching the new season rather than going for the jugular on something that isn't proven - that's not a dig at you btw, I just see it as unnecessary that a 'fan' asks the same question over and over when this had already been put to Jos.

I’m a grown man I can take bad news, and I respect people that are honest enough to give it. This is aimed at the club, but whether Jos likes it or not he is the clubs public face.

Guest Willow Owl
11 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

If there was nothing in it surely he would say no. If he doesn’t actually know then we have the wrong manager. 

Or maybe we are waiting clarification from the EFL. Why do fans think they have a devine right to know everything that is going on at the club. Why show our hand, if clubs are seriously after our players do you think they are going to offer the going rate or make a derisory offer hoping for a bargain. 

1 minute ago, owls_wawaw said:

If the squad stays fit are we really thinking relegation is a possibility this season ? Surely not

You know what, I still think we’ve got a pretty strong squad that at best could even have a crack at making the playoffs IF all are major players can stay fit. Obviously we really could do with some new signings and to offload another couple but if this (give or take a couple) is going to be the squad Jos has to work with it’s not too shabby. There are clearly areas where we severely lack quality like in both full

back positions but this has been the case for quite a while now even when we had the money to spend but we still have some very good players. 

24 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

We have still got a squad of fantastic players. players that got us into automatic promotion form the back end of last season. 

People acting on here like we have the squad of Bolton or Rotherham or something and we are doomed.

Spot on. The majority of this squad had us top 6 two seasons running until an insane amount of injuries hit.

keeping the squad fit could yet result in a very good season

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I don't think it's a given at all, in fact i half expected us not to make many if any signings but if that was to be the case then I wouldn't have expected us to get rid of our first choice full back.

The manager openly stated that he wanted to bring Venancio back and the fact he played him and Hunt most of the time last season suggests they were his preferred players in those positions so I can't think he would be happy with settling for what we have now having lost them.

Maybe we are looking at loans in those positions but unless the club is doing great business behind the scenes it is very rare that this goes unnoticed with no media attention on prospective signings whatsoever. Also, if we are focusing primarily on loans then fair enough given the financial situation but surely it would be better to try and do this business as early as possible and have new players training with the way we play and their colleagues ready for the season rather than leaving it late when the price will be forced up in terms of loan fee and wage requirements.

Completely fair points.

Depends on where we are looking at loans from, I'd assume that it's young PL players and if so the delay will have been from the World Cup, clubs making sure they have their targets before letting players go out.

With Venancio, we don't know for sure if he was either offered terms or the Portugese side he signed for just was a more attractive option. You'd also have to think maybe Jack Hunt was on a decent wedge and the deal from Bristol City was a good one to consider given we have less wiggle room to work with in regards to wages, fees etc.

If we are under an embargo then obviously it will come out in the next week or two but I personally don't believe it's altering too much of how we were going to approach this season in any case. 

Chansiri has made some bad mistakes since he has been here i accept but its current form, the Football League's financial rules are not fair, Chansiri probably wants to spend more money as do villa and one or two others and it won't bust them,  it's just a cliche that it prevents  another club to crash. The way Stoke and WBA are going to spend it makes it a very unlevel playing field 

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I am sure everyone would rather do that! Care to list the positives?

So why are you bothering in that case mate? lol

Ok...........2 positives.

We've got arguably one of the best young players in Joao looking like he could do some damage this season.

We have FF, fit and looking like he has something to prove.

13 minutes ago, Owlin' Wolf said:

Its not a conspiracy, it’s not people making up stories (not on this particular subject anyway!). The rumours of an embargo started, the club hasn’t told anyone and even now they know it’s becoming public knowledge they seem to be just telling the manger he’s not allowed to answer owt about it. The handling of it deserves a bit of criticsm IMO. 

What?

The manager has been asked about it by a local journo and a few fans on a public forum have said they think we're under an embargo.

I don't think the club need to make a statement until there is something to say on the subject.

The likely hood ( only my completely made up opionion) is that like Birmingham the club are trying hard to please the football league by trying to reduce its debt and ongoing costs. If I’m this period of consultation we appear to be still spending without reducing massively the club will be hit with and embargo and fined. If the football league appear happy then there might be room for movement on the loan market or January window. If we say we are on hold until the football league are satisfied basically admitting an embargo it will be easy pickings for our players we don’t want to sell and a bargain basement price which we don’t want to attract.

I can understand the not declaring our situation.

if we declare and then start attracting fees of say £2million for players like our bannans are we allowed to refuse? I’m not sure or does that put us in trouble if we go refuse?

either way unwanted bids are bound to unsettle the team surley 

He doesn't know. Read Birmingham's statement, they're still in dialogue with the FL, chances are we are too. Therefore not definitely under embargo, but headed that way if they're not happy with what we've done and what we have planned. Westwood out tomorrow, may just be the decider, who knows? 

18 minutes ago, BeverleyOwl74 said:

A touch unfair.  Bearing in mind judging by your moniker you're of the same age, we've been supporting the team the same amount of time.  My point being this, we went and spent a shedload in the last three seasons failing to get where we wanted to, now thanks to FFP we're stuck somewhere between mid-table and potential bottom three, the gamble failed and now we're paying for it.  Unless Luhukay works miracles, we're playing mid-table football until we get out of the FFP trap which will only involve selling off assets to get the gap down.  You can only get out of things what you pay in and bar Sheffield becoming one of the richest cities in the North and them miraculously all supporting SWFC, then we're stuck in no man's land unless someone can buy Chansiri out.

1. Load of absolutebollox.

2.  That wouldn't change our situation one iota.

2 minutes ago, fpowl said:

The likely hood ( only my completely made up opionion) is that like Birmingham the club are trying hard to please the football league by trying to reduce its debt and ongoing costs. If I’m this period of consultation we appear to be still spending without reducing massively the club will be hit with and embargo and fined. If the football league appear happy then there might be room for movement on the loan market or January window. If we say we are on hold until the football league are satisfied basically admitting an embargo it will be easy pickings for our players we don’t want to sell and a bargain basement price which we don’t want to attract.

I can understand the not declaring our situation.

if we declare and then start attracting fees of say £2million for players like our bannans are we allowed to refuse? I’m not sure or does that put us in trouble if we go refuse?

either way unwanted bids are bound to unsettle the team surley 

Thats the worry - Clubs will get wind of what’s going on and they will come in with bids for Lees, FF and Bannan. 

6 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

So why are you bothering in that case mate? lol

Ok...........2 positives.

We've got arguably one of the best young players in Joao looking like he could do some damage this season.

We have FF, fit and looking like he has something to prove.

I bothered when we had Kim Olsen up front and Ola Tidman in goal - I'm a Wednesday fan.

If we had kept hunt or brought in a couple of defenders or at least showed an intent to do so before the season kicks off then I would be optimistic about us having a far better season than last time. As it stands I still thing we could do OK but worryingly things are pointing to us losing more before then end of the window.

I like Joao and FF is a quality player but as is the Wednesday way a spanner has been thrown into the works with the latter.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Clubs already know the score at SWFC - nailed on guaranteed

True. I hope we keep all our players and we manage to get the green light to bring in some loans.

However, what happens if we can’t bring anybody in? The negativity will start to grow.  I tell you now, I bet you bids will come in for the 3 above. They are top players for this division. What happens then? I would guess that their agents would want to talk to those clubs given what’s going down at Wednesday. It will be interesting to see how things pan out over the next 10 days or so.