The Graph Thread 2018/19 - Looking at the bigger picture

1308595313_GraphMatch11201819.thumb.jpg.286624b5574ea395e293afeb04b76604.jpg

image.thumb.png.76fd79885a4ca817335df1613cb33060.png

Last night's result didn't just feel disappointing, it deflated me so much that I feel physically affected this morning. I haven't felt this way since I was a kid. I genuinely think we have something about us this season that gives me feeling that we can really challenge, so it's so gut wrenching to give away a solid win in such circumstances.

Up until Onomah going off we looked solid despite WBA coming close a couple of times. We even had a couple of chances to get the third and clinching goal. Without Onomah our right hand side of midfield disappeared and left us wide open. 

I am sure that lessons were learned and I hope against hope that we stop committing suicide and throwing points away as we did, WBA were nothing special. We gave away two points rather than having them taken from us.

We are now left needing a win on Sunday at Bristol to stay just a point behind where we were two seasons ago. A loss could see us starting to lose touch with the top we need the win.

2 hours ago, mark1948 said:

We are now left needing a win on Sunday at Bristol to stay just a point behind where we were two seasons ago. A loss could see us starting to lose touch with the top we need the win.

Dont worry. It’s MUCH tighter this year.

After 11 games last season...

Cardiff 24

Wolves 24

—————-

6th Leeds 20

—————

Owls 16

This season

Leeds 22

Boro 22

—————-

6th Brentford 17

—————-

Owls 16

Start = 13th

Win by 4 goals or more = 5th and will be in Play off's and 5pts from Auto's

Win by 1, 2, 3 goals = 6th and will be in Play off's and 5pts from Auto's

Any Draw = 12th and will be 1pt from Play off's and 7pts from Auto's

Any Loss = 14th and will be 3pts from Play off's and 8pts from Auto's

1092110003_GraphMatch12201819.thumb.jpg.b3cb4edf2eb31101c74356b4fd7ebf55.jpg

image.thumb.png.36ca9e57690ff13c24646d4977e77ff8.png

Still a point behind where we were two years ago but into the top 6 with the win at Bristol.

Not the greatest of games, not the greatest Wednesday performance that we have seen but a win is a win and three points. Saw the game out well in the end. 

Onomah and Hector are starting to look part of the team. With two weeks to sort things out we should come back a bit stronger.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MAL said:

Start = 13th

Win by 4 goals or more = 5th and will be in Play off's and 5pts from Auto's

Win by 1, 2, 3 goals = 6th and will be in Play off's and 5pts from Auto's

Any Draw = 12th and will be 1pt from Play off's and 7pts from Auto's

Any Loss = 14th and will be 3pts from Play off's and 8pts from Auto's

Option 2. :biggrin:

1293932338_GraphMatch13201819.thumb.jpg.b14b2ba7e786a796c9d7546d59e58b61.jpg

image.thumb.png.2b3fc3776c7276711a4da6a836f81a0b.png

On reflection the loss against Middlesbrough wasn't a disaster, sure an awful error by Lees, but despite that we could have ended up with a draw if Ayala lying on the ball had been penalised for obstruction. (N.B. I have no idea what the law is on that. I am sure that someone will enlighten me.)

We are currently 2 points behind where we were two seasons ago but we have the opportunity to catch up and overtake that season over the next four games as two years ago the next four only yielded 4 points. All four are winnable and I will be disappointed if we don't get nine points. Twelve would be fantastic as it means that we win at Bramall Lane. Lets go for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1077405297_GraphMatch14201819.thumb.jpg.383758cbe325455a2eb51db0c3cbd8c0.jpg

image.thumb.png.349ec0140b152f263dce334a285d12fa.png

With two losses in a row we are now five points behind where we were two years ago. Although that is recoverable over the next three games the nature of our play leaves me a little less convinced that we can do this. Rotherham's performance at Middlesbrough sort of put things into context.

QPR looked to be there for the taking early on, they paid us so much respect. When Mr Brolly realised that we were not following up tackles with any tenacity and simply leaving the ball for QPR to regain possession, he changed from the defensive to the offensive and got the reward. 

Its no good our moaning about injuries and unavailable players although changing out the entire defence after the Middlesbrough game I thought was extreme. The performance was almost as bad as the Brentford game with us never really troubling their back line. Let's just hope we get it together at Birmingham on Saturday, although I'm not holding my breath. 

N.B. I waited till today to post this to ensure league position is correct.

Edited by mark1948
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

The performance was almost as bad as the Brentford game with us never really troubling their back line.

I share the disappointment of all on here, although I do think overreaction can get silly sometimes

For what it's worth, I don't think the result accurately reflected the performance of either side

And rather than hark back to the Brentford game I'd say Tuesday night was an improvement on what I saw against Boro

But we lost ... again

It's how we respond at Birmingham, that's what really counts now   :mellow:

41 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I'd say Tuesday night was an improvement on what I saw against Boro

I'm sorry Ethel I have to disagree on this point. We simply didn't compete. We put in and won many tackles and instead of following up and taking possession of the ball a number of players simply stood and admired their work and let the ball be picked up by a QPR player. It happened time and again. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was just one individual doing it but it was three or four. Joao, Hector, Reach, Bannan and to a lesser extent Onomah.

I share your thoughts on overreaction as I tend to look for the positives but there was little in that performance to be upbeat about. I had hoped that Baker would become a great but I didn't see any evidence that he will on Tuesday's showing..

Edited by mark1948
  • Thanks 1