The Graph Thread 2018/19 - Looking at the bigger picture

972022582_GraphMatch7201819.thumb.jpg.bc8ca7c84cdbe948d1d486691f3f6b4e.jpg

image.thumb.png.9a6868dd99b3ed532e84ee1f4fb528dc.png

We have the same points and the same league position as we did 2 years ago so you could say we are on track to emulate that season. The bar chart however shows that we are a little short of play off form but this early in the season one win can change things quite dramatically. 

I think that Jos is right in saying that we play too much through Barry Bannan. Yesterday magnificent though BB was we often brought play back in order to give the Bazzer the ball. Penney demonstrated that with a positive mindset and with the skills that we have, there are more options than simply giving it to Barry. I am really looking forward to the Forest game on Wednesday because I just have this feeling that Jos's message will finally sink in and we will find positive outlets all over the pitch. Defenders never have and never will like having teams running at and through. In the latter stages of the Stoke game when we did run at them suddenly Stoke looked quite shabby. I must admit that after Stoke went two up I did think crikey a cricket score coming up here.

Its about belief. I think Jos's attitude is right you only succeed if you believe you can. I think that he realised that his players really did get their belief in themselves in the second half you could actually feel it. Wednesday will be the proof.

• Like 1

1228556986_GraphMatch8201819.thumb.jpg.593e390b79ca4ed81351d5c86ebb1535.jpg

image.thumb.png.876699e2ef2a5f310a1be6f285f5a869.png

We are still level on points as we were two years ago so its not wrist slitting time yet.

Whilst Jos's team selection was strange, perhaps with an eye on the Villa game, the real difference last night was in midfield. Colback and his team-mates harried and niggled extremely efficiently. A little tug on a shirt sleeve, a tiny nudge on a runner, a slight push here and there, a toe end on a ball and a generally hard working performance totally nullified Joao, Reach, and Onomah. Only Bannan in our midfield managed some kind of a performance.

The tactics were perfect because the infringements were so marginal that most officials would consider them unworthy of a free kick. We have got to get better at dealing with this kind of incessant niggly play.

When the ball keeps coming back onto the defence sooner or later it's going to crack. Forest chased every ball until they were two up, I was amazed that we got a goal at all,, we simply didn't match their energy.