The Graph Thread 2018/19 - Looking at the bigger picture

8 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

If you finish with more points than the team who comes third, then you're in second or first. It's not rocket science.

London Owl is correct......we need to get more points than the second place team for automatic not the team who comes third

look at the following scenario

Middlesboro top with 95

Stoke 2nd wth 93

West Brom third with 88

If we got 90 points (i.e. more than third placed West Brom) then we'd still be 3rd (and West Brom forth) not second

Edited by Ian
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ian said:

London Owl is correct......we need to get more points than the second place team for automatic not the team who comes third

Middlesboro top with 95

Stoke 2nd wth 93

West Brom third with 88

If we got 90 points (i.e. more than third placed West Brom) then we'd still be 3rd (and West Brom forth) not second

I agree with the point that you and LO are making, but it is only partly correct, or partly incorrect.

Consider the scenario:

Middlesboro top with 95

Sheffield Wednesday 2nd wth 93

West Brom third with 88

If, instead of our actual points tally, we got 90 points, then we would have come second.

The question that Ryan's promotion lines need to specify is whether they are the points that the team finishing second actually needed (Ryan's current interpretation), something we hope to match or better, or the points needed to finish above the team that actually finished second (LO's interpretation). 

Edit: Forgot to add. I appreciate the charts and graphs. Keep updating and posting.

Edited by Tamworthowl

14 hours ago, Ian said:

Middlesboro top with 95

Stoke 2nd wth 93

West Brom third with 88

The way I look at it (and the way I did the graphs) is that in that scenario Stoke finished on 93 points but they didn't actually need 93. Because had they finished on 89 they would have still finished 2nd. Or 88 in which case 88 would be enough for either Stoke or West Brom depending on goal difference.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RyanSWFC said:

The way I look at it (and the way I did the graphs) is that in that scenario Stoke finished on 93 points but they didn't actually need 93. Because had they finished on 89 they would have still finished 2nd. Or 88 in which case 88 would be enough for either Stoke or West Brom depending on goal difference.

Fair enough

79411199_GraphMatch2201819.thumb.jpg.fa6526b9f0d256bf1a83fd81633763a9.jpg

image.thumb.png.0bf091320c4c76f7dee8ba7aa69f0c1f.png

Well we are off the mark it was disappointing not to get the win. Fletch could have had a hat trick. Thornily was the standout performance for me. He looked extremely composed and blocked their right side completely out. With reach running riot down our left with Thornily we should win many more than we lose. Was also pleased with Ash Baker who did little wrong. He got a few crosses in but he needs to run into those spaces behind, which he could have done an a few occasions but didn't, before he makes the position his own.

Toughie next Sunday at Brentford lets hope that we continue to improve.

• Thanks 1

Starting at 20th

0 - 3 win takes us to 11th

0 - 2 win takes us to 12th

0 - 1 win takes us to 13th

1 - 1 draw takes us to 16th

0 - 0 draw takes us to joint 16th, exactly the same as Ipswich, so 17th on alphabetical order.

1 - 0 & 2 - 0 loss takes us to 21st

3 - 0 loss takes us to 22nd

1340635024_GraphMatch3201819.thumb.jpg.10ea311ec9fa1461e093a294584b94e9.jpg

image.thumb.png.a2d2be2a50930f6de1d9d01ac950e0f1.png

Terrible at Brentford. A self inflicted goal needlessly given away by a senior player. We looked competitive first half. The second half was pathetic. We could have lost by many more. 2-0 was a let off. We didn't even have a corner all game.

• Thanks 1

On 19/08/2018 at 17:13, mark1948 said:

Terrible at Brentford. A self inflicted goal needlessly given away by a senior player. We looked competitive first half. The second half was pathetic. We could have lost by many more. 2-0 was a let off. We didn't even have a corner all game

Just watched the full game replayed and hand on heart I was expecting it to be a lot worse, given some of the reaction on here

As you say, the penalty was shocking and their second goal looked offside in the build up (with my blue & white goggles on at least)

Dawson had to make a load of saves but I'd have been HUGELY disappointed if any of those efforts had got past him

I think we missed Sam's presence second half - although that doesn't excuse our lack of creativity, Brentford would've had far less room to play in

RYAN !!!

4 minutes ago, RyanSWFC said:

Update after Millwall. What a difference a game makes - if we beat Ipswich on Saturday it will be our best start to a season in the Chansiri era.

Untitled.png

We will be mathematically promoted by early Feb at this rate....:luhukay::luhukay:

• Haha 1

446970672_GraphMatch4201819.thumb.jpg.945d5b1d8b942b167558da0b0c14fd55.jpg

image.thumb.png.322f0416265f9c8030d5d676ae70ba22.png

It's amazing what a win can do. Remember in the table we are comparing with the season before last when we finished 4th. Then we had 4 points as we have now we were 21st at this point that season but we are 17th now so we get a bit og green and of course a splash of yellow too. Let's hope that we can improve a little more against Ipswich on Saturday,

Much better today I felt confident for the most part but when you give away a sloppy goal near the end it becomes a little nervy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RyanSWFC said:

Update after Millwall. What a difference a game makes - if we beat Ipswich on Saturday it will be our best start to a season in the Chansiri era.

Untitled.png

Said the same during the meltdown on Sunday Ryan. Beat Millwall and Ipswich and it’s our best new era start to a season.

Dare I tempt fate...We then play Reading and Stoke who are currently rubbish. Hopefully our season can kick on nicely now. Wonderful work ethic and team-spirit tonight. If we can repeat that v awful Ipswich surely we can get the points.

• Like 1