Team for Wigan picks itself...surely

7 minutes ago, jack whitham said:

Think he would be ok at left wing back.

His best surely left back.

Left back in the dressing room.

He is not the answer at CB or LWB simply not good enough, we could loan him out to Sheffield Sharks might do a job there.

This is a difficult one as we are so unbalanced. I want us to go 4-3-3 but we haven’t got good enough defenders.

If I was the Manager, I would go with this team for Wigan;

Westwood

Lees

Hutch

Pudil

Palmer

Pelupessy

Bannan

Reach

Joao

Dave 

FF

I think Fletch is better than Dave but given his run in the second half of the season, it’s his shirt. He was brilliant, no one can deny that. I don’t rate Palmer but he got a goal yesterday, so let him take that confidence with him for the game. By the way, I think Westwood will leave and Dawson will start.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Westwood 

Hutchinson    Lees     Pudil

Palmer                                 Reach 

Pelupessy   Bannan 

Forestieri 

Joao              Nuhiu

Subs

Dawson

Thorniley

van Aken

Boyd

Matias

Preston

Fletcher

Wildsmith 

reach 

boyd 

van aken 

pudil 

lees 

bannan 

hutchinson 

pelupessy 

forestieri 

joao 

i think Wigan will come at us from the off, so we need to keep it tight, would have Joao up top forestieri just off him, probably our quickest players to try and break and catch them out. 

22 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Westwood 

Hutchinson    Lees     Pudil

Palmer                                 Reach 

Pelupessy   Bannan 

Forestieri 

Joao              Nuhiu

Subs

Dawson

Thorniley

van Aken

Boyd

Matias

Preston

Fletcher

Id like to see this with Joao slightly right and Fessi slightly left. It was our best formation at the end of last year when we looked decent and had a good run. At RCH Hutch is as good, if not better than Fred in my opinion. Plus, it’s been said many times, CB is the position Hutch can play without as much risk to his injuries.  I also think Fletch is a better target man, but Dave has earned the shirt for now. 

Jos saw this team play well, but on the evidence of pre-season it seems he’s not going to start Hutch at CB so I can’t see it happening. I fear he’ll put Hutch in midfield and not play Joao, a system that just doesn’t seem to suit Dave and Fessi.  I’ve always thought both of them are at their most effective when there’s another frontman nearby.  Last season was evidence of that and in Carlos’s first year we looked very dangerous with the three on, our when it was Hooper, Fessi and Dave. I know 3 more attacking players can leave us leaky, but that’s the point of 3 at the back surely, with Pessy in front.  

Despite the fact the majority of the fan base would have you believe we’ve got the worst squad in the entire history of the club,  I reckon Jos might have a few selection headaches 

Does Reach play, Boyd did alright yesterday , if Fletcher is fit does he go straight in , Dawson over Wildsmith ?  Has Matias earnt a shirt 

16 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Not what I want, but what I reckon we'll see:

Wildsmith

Hutchinson.   Lees.      Pudil

Palmer.  Bannan.  Pelupessy.  Reach.  Fox

Nuhiu.   Forestieri

got to be fletcher instead of Nuhui on hold up play alone

Wildsmith

Hutch       Lees      Pudil

Palmer.                                            JVA

Pelupessy

Bannan        Reach

FF

Nuhiu 

Subs:

Dawson

Palmer

Boyd

Fletcher

Thornily

Matias

Joao

15 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

He goes like that we probably get beat. he goes 3-4-3 things may be different.

no disrespect to Wigan but we should easily hold our own they are favourites to be relegated,we lose here then it will be a long,long season

I think our issues are a bit more fundamental than some of the previous posters have realised. 

In all of the teams outlined above we either look very short in midfield or poor at the back. 

So Jos should try and slip a 12th man on. Create a diversion on the sideline and shove on an extra midfielder.

Sorted.

Guest wilyfox
9 minutes ago, brando said:

got to be fletcher instead of Nuhui on hold up play alone

Could be, but Jos may decide to ease Fletcher back in after so long without competitive football. My guess would be a place on the bench to begin with. 

I'd be amazed if it wasn't:

Wildsmith

Palmer

Lees

Van Aken

Pudil

Reach

Hutchinson

Pelupessy

Bannan

Forestieri

Nuhiu

Not our best line-up. Nor the most effective. But its what Jos has generally gone with this pre-season. He won't suddenly start playing players in different positions i.e Hutchinson to centre half.

For me we're poor in defence and powder puff in midfield. 

Our strongest position is up top. 

Hoping Jos realises our best chance of winning games is getting the ball forward as quickly and as often as possible, and letting a very effective frontline of Joao, Nuhiu and FF do their thing. 

Go for it every week. Teams will struggle to handle that front 3. 

If he goes with 2 up top we won't create enough imo

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

For me we're poor in defence and powder puff in midfield. 

Our strongest position is up top. 

Hoping Jos realises our best chance of winning games is getting the ball forward as quickly and as often as possible, and letting a very effective frontline of Joao, Nuhiu and FF do their thing. 

Go for it every week. Teams will struggle to handle that front 3. 

If he goes with 2 up top we won't create enough imo

This.

When Jos arrived, he had to shore things up and make us hard to beat. The 5-3-2/5-4-1 did its job when confidence was in our boots, and the players we had to select from were thin pickings. 

However, as the season progressed, and in particularly when Bannan and Forestieri returned, the switch to a 3-4-3 produced some fantastic attacking football. It wasn't perfect, we conceded far too many chances and had Wildsmith to thank for keeping us in a few games, but it looked like we had found a way that could produce results and entertain.

The shift back towards a 3-5-2, considering the lack of variety we have in midfield, is a tad concerning. Our wing backs are sub standard. By playing 3-5-2, they will be our main supply lines, and as such, Forestieri and Nuhiu will be feeding off scraps. By playing the 3-4-3 system, the wing backs, although still encouraged to go forward, are there for support, not as our main creators. Yes, we'll be as weak as pi55 in midfield with Pelupessy and Bannan, but the back five should help alleviate that issue a tad.

We aren't going to go up this system...so let's try and get the best out of the players we've got. And the 3-4-3 system allows us to do just that the most effectively.