Team for Wigan picks itself...surely

4 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Don’t think Fletcher is up to 90 minutes yet, so Nuhiu and Joao up top and Fletcher sub, otherwise that’s the best we have at present.

Correct, Fletcher showed some class, but also showed he's not played in nearly a year also with some heavy first touches 

13 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Not saying it will work. I ain't picking my own team. I am picking what Jos will probably go with and that's it.

Didn't do to bad actually got worse second half with change of formation but that was as much down to the lack in quality of the players in second half then anything else.

I know and that’s my worry because if Jos has that down as his ‘best’ team I think Wigan will have a easy start to the season unless he can work some magic in 7 days.

5 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Unfortunately I think Pelupessy and Hutch will be in the same midfield.

Nobody will enjoy watching that 

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I think last season was his last chance to do that. 

I think reality is Jos will have to try and succeed where Carlos failed with the same players less transfers if anyone wants to buy Bannan, Fletcher, Reach or Forestieri. 

If we keep the four above then Mr C will be throwing the kitchen sink at it for three years in a row. If he does then I wish them well, if we see the sales above we've got to look at the bigger picture as a club and ignore the Piranhas at Radio Sheffield. I can feel there negative scheming already. There is a disturbance in the force. 

WTF:

9 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

I know and that’s my worry because if Jos has that down as his ‘best’ team I think Wigan will have a easy start to the season unless he can work some magic in 7 days.

He goes like that we probably get beat. he goes 3-4-3 things may be different.

5 minutes ago, s8owl75 said:

I think reality is Jos will have to try and succeed where Carlos failed with the same players less transfers if anyone wants to buy Bannan, Fletcher, Reach or Forestieri. 

If we keep the four above then Mr C will be throwing the kitchen sink at it for three years in a row. If he does then I wish them well, if we see the sales above we've got to look at the bigger picture as a club and ignore the Piranhas at Radio Sheffield. I can feel there negative scheming already. There is a disturbance in the force. 

WTF:

Yep the Radio Sheffield boys are the real villains. Why would they want to travel to Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge when trips to Spotand and Oakwell potentially beckon? 

Edited by rickygoo

5 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Yep the Radio Sheffield boys are the real villains. Why would they want to travel to Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge when trips to Spotand and Oakwell potentially beckon? 

I wish they would all go to Old Trafford and not come back. I'm sure there is no one at SWFC who doesn't want to see us in the Premier.

Traditionally Wednesday don't get handed success on a silver plate, and that's how it should be. They will have to fight for success. 

Dawson

Hutch.     Lees.    JVA

Palmer.                                Reach

Pessy

Bannan.            FF

Joao.      Nuhiu

6 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Love the way the OP said the team picks itself and put Boyd in at RWB, a position he's never played even for 5 mins and ignores Palmer who is clearly first choice RWB and scored today!

Boyd has played there, not much but him and Reach swaped occasionally last season.

Boyd also played a lot on the right for Burnley and a bit for Hull so he can play there.

Boyd is much better technically than Palmer and Baker is not ready.

47 minutes ago, s8owl75 said:

Correct, Fletcher showed some class, but also showed he's not played in nearly a year also with some heavy first touches 

Exactly my point. Just after he hit the post when he should have scored, he made a great run, beat the off side trap then ruined it with a heavy touch.

Given a few games as sub to sharpen up some more he be scoring those.

1 hour ago, Box_Man said:

Boyd has played there, not much but him and Reach swaped occasionally last season.

Boyd also played a lot on the right for Burnley and a bit for Hull so he can play there.

Boyd is much better technically than Palmer and Baker is not ready.

Thats an opinion.  One that some share and many don't and one I'm 99.9999999999999% certain Jos will not follow.  So how in that case does the team "pick itself"?!?!?!

3 hours ago, handworth52 said:

I agree ,do we need to lose 5-0 there to convince some of our support and jos that our defence is nowhere near good enough, van aken looks miles off 

I've actually got a horrible feeling about this season.

3 hours ago, Box_Man said:

Got to be....

Dawson

Lees.          Pudil.        Van Aken

Boyd            Hutchinson.         Bannan.         Reach

Joao.       Fletcher.      Forestieri

Wildsmith

Palmer

Fox

Pelupessy

Jones

Matias 

Nuhiu

Defence is majorly suspect, but we may as well go to Wigan and try to win :sad:

Not far off.

Thornley for van Aken and Lees in the center - yes having Pudil RCH isn’t ideal but Lees is too slow on the ball to do it, needs to play Central. Also Baker at RWB Boyd is rubbish and I wouldn’t play Fletcher I’d play Matias, basically a bank of 3 and bank of 4 with those three using there pace and free roles to score. 

Until we can address the needs of the team we just have to make do.

3 hours ago, Box_Man said:

Got to be....

Dawson

Lees.          Pudil.        Van Aken

Boyd            Hutchinson.         Bannan.         Reach

Joao.       Fletcher.      Forestieri

Wildsmith

Palmer

Fox

Pelupessy

Jones

Matias 

Nuhiu

Defence is majorly suspect, but we may as well go to Wigan and try to win :sad:

I thought Jos picked it ? 

Hopefully Jos surprises us on Saturday and picks the team most of us would like to see throughout the season, so we get off to a flier.

Based on what he has tried pre-season it doesn’t look likely. However I expect he will quickly learn some lessons as follows:-

That Hutch is a far better CB than CM.

That FF is wasted in a front 2

That Reach is a wing-back not a midfielder.

and therefore go back to the 343 that worked so fantastically for us at the end of the season. 

Edited by Holmowl

I'm actually genuinely baffled by the midfield he's playing at the moment with Hutch and Joey when it's abundantly clear that Hutch is our best replacement for Venancio.   

We were winning games back end of season:  this is clearly our best team, gives us width in attack but with the two wide forwards tucking in when we're in defence to give solidity in midfield.

Dawson

Hutch               Lees               Pudil

Lee/ Palmer            Joey            Bannan             Reach

Joao          Fletcher           FF

Boyd can do a job at LWB but isn't mobile enough.  He could take the left forward role with FF starting out right.    Matias could also take a wide forward role.

Boyd RWB though = recipe for disaster.

Crying shame we missed out on Fred as I genuinely believe that with him at RCB and with a fit Hutch replacing Pelupessy we would have been top 6.