Just now, owlZfan84 said:

Palmer has played plenty at this level, over the course of the past couple of seasons.

It's clear he isn't good enough.

However, the way JL turned Nuhiu around there is a glimmer of hope for Palmer.

I'm not counting on it though.

Every season is different for every player

Like you say hopefully Jos can do the same for Palmer that he did with Nuhiu

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I'd love him too, I really would.

Unfortunately though, IMO, I just don't think he's cut out for it at this level.

27 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'm saying is it not  conducive to applaud and encourage moments of good play? 

Good play of course

I'm saying we applaud anything that resembles normal human behaviour  - as a fanbase we are very supportive 

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Jos doesn't need to, Palmer is already the best full back in the world according to @Beholder

I'm more worried Jos will be able to find a replacement once Palmer is on that flight to Paris to play alongside Neymar.

6 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

You're wrong. See above.

No you are. 

You said the first time he will first choice is this coming season. 

That is incorrect. 

I said he was part of a record winning clean sheet defense two on the trot. I was right. 

The first one with him being first choice. 

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah I know

But this preseason seems to have injected everyone with mass panic disease

lol

I see were you are coming from with it. Not exactly been a great pre-season but we did well at the end of last season and Jos now has Westwood, Hutchinson, Fletcher and Van Aken to add to that team as wll as hopefully having Lee and Hooper back soon. I think this gives us a pretty decent side. I think it will do us good to have no real pressure on as well. No one else thinks we will do anything this season..

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Jos doesn't need to, Palmer is already the best full back in the world according to @Beholder

I'm more worried Jos will be able to find a replacement once Palmer is on that flight to Paris to play alongside Neymar.

image.jpeg.8e6cbbfaaa5cd26463e528c15277aea4.jpeg
A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man."

Just now, Beholder said:

No you are. 

You said the first time he will first choice is this coming season. 

That is incorrect. 

I said he was part of a record winning clean sheet defense two on the trot. I was right. 

The first one with him being first choice. 

Buxton was first choice, and probably injured. Palmer was his back up.

Palmer was also back up to Hunt.

Hunt was first choice under Carlos' record equaling defensive record - you said he wasn't.

You think Palmer has no faults, which by default makes him the best full back in the world.

Palmer has never been first choice right back at Sheffield Wednesday.

Palmer is first choice now (for now) because we literally have NO OTHER SENIOR RIGHT BACK as Hunt has been sold.

The facts and stats back that up.

You're wrong, as you usually are.

10 minutes ago, torres said:

Good play of course

I'm saying we applaud anything that resembles normal human behaviour  - as a fanbase we are very supportive 

I often applaud a player even of they might have skanked a ball out of play on the far side....if I thought the idea, the decision to attempt it was the right one...

Often I find myself applauding a players through process , even his his technique let him down whilst the groans ring out around me!

All part and parcel I suppose. 

Are we supportive. I don't know.

I think many of the cheers I've heard , especially in the last 18 months have been ironic ones. 

I'm not sure if that is worse than the often deafening silence!

34 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Talking of rubbish, you're missing the point.

Palmer lacks those qualities at our level, I'm sure he'll be capable of doing better against lesser quality players or in a team that has lesser ambitions than ours.

I can run against and compete with other people at my running club, but against Usain Bolt people would say I'm no runner.

Now, see the point?

Nope, because the difference in standard between you and Usain Bolt is bigger than that of Palmer and 'the best' right back at our level. 

Your basically saying that Palmer can't defend or attack at a standard fitting of this level, and that is rubbish. An opinion shared by a lot of fans, and more importantly several professional football managers and coaches. 

10 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Nope, because the difference in standard between you and Usain Bolt is bigger than that of Palmer and 'the best' right back at our level. 

Your basically saying that Palmer can't defend or attack at a standard fitting of this level, and that is rubbish. An opinion shared by a lot of fans, and more importantly several professional football managers and coaches. 

No, I'm saying Palmer can't do those jobs properly for a team looking to be challenging at the top end of the table. You really do need to learn to read. Indeed, you're right about professionals having the right opinion - that's why he's been a back up until he's 26 years old, and now only first choice as we have no other senior option.

I'm sure a club like Rotherham, with their ambitions, won't mind Palmer's faults and limitations and might be an upgrade on what they have, but I'm afraid we won't be where we want to be with that standard of first team player.

I hope Jos can help Palmer become a suitable first choice right back for us, he did wonders with Nuhiu last season, guess we'll have to wait and see.

PS, I'm only 3.6 seconds slower than Usain Bolt over 100m!!

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

I don't think Palmer has shown anything to suggest that he's anywhere near good enough as a first choice defender for a team with ambitions at the right end of the table. My opinion of his abilities has largely been formed by the memory of his showing in our Carabao Cup defeat at Bolton last season. He was by no means the only player who had a bad game that night, but he was the only one who looked like he'd given up at 2-0. Have a look at their 3rd goal if you're wondering what I'm on about. I'm not one to get on a players back during a game, but nor would I ever agree with anyone who claims that he's good enough for a team with ambitions to contend. I'd love to be proved wrong as he looks likely to be a regular statrer this campaign, but he's a significant downgrade on Hunt for sure. 

It got that bad last season i was sat on the south watching Palmer and thought to myself, if only he swapped his boots to the opposite feet,  his crosses might swing into the box instead of out for a goal kick. Worth a try?