Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, torres said:

 

Eh??

 

 

I'm saying is it not  conducive to applaud and encourage moments of good play? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


I've not seen any evidence to suggest that either Palmer or Fox will be permanent first choice wingbacks yet though

I think there's a lot of assumption going on

  • Agree 1

 


Amazon | Broadband | AirBnb

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

 

That's absolute rubbish, sorry .

 

He wouldn't be a professional footballer if those were his ingrained faults.

 

 

 

 

Talking of rubbish, you're missing the point.

 

Palmer lacks those qualities at our level, I'm sure he'll be capable of doing better against lesser quality players or in a team that has lesser ambitions than ours.

 

I can run against and compete with other people at my running club, but against Usain Bolt people would say I'm no runner.

 

Now, see the point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

 

I've seen all those with my own eyes, they are most definitely true. If you don't think they are true, then we have the world's best full back at the club - just don't tell PSG!

I never said he was the world's best full back. 

 

And you may have identified one example in a game. But to then go and generalise it turns it into confirmation bias. 

 

I could find examples of poor play from every player we have if I were so inclined. Doesn't make it 'the truth' about that player. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Beholder said:

I never said he was the world's best full back. 

 

And you may have identified one example in a game. But to then go and generalise it turns it into confirmation bias. 

 

I could find examples of poor play from every player we have if I were so inclined. Doesn't make it 'the truth' about that player. 

 

 

If Palmer doesn't have ANY of those faults, which you said, then he has to be the world's best full back...

 

These are frequent faults, and that's why the first time he's considered our first choice full back is at the age of 26 and because he's the only senior right back at the club after selling Jack Hunt, and have no money to strengthen. Or is that just a coincidence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

Very true

 

I remember Darko Kovacevic being one of them, Lee Chapman, Chris Morris etc

Chris Morris got HORRENDOUS stick from the fans, he was the standout boo boy of the 80's for me (Colin West wasn't far behind).

Unfortunately, there's always scapegoats at every club so wouldn't hold out much hope that this season will be any different.

- Even one of the best midfielders we've ever had - John Sheridan,  got booed from a section of our fanbase !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

 

If Palmer doesn't have ANY of those faults, which you said, then he has to be the world's best full back...

 

These are frequent faults, and that's why the first time he's considered our first choice full back is at the age of 26 and because he's the only senior right back at the club after selling Jack Hunt, and have no money to strengthen. Or is that just a coincidence?

Absolute hogwash again. 

 

He was first choice two seasons on the spin when he was part of a record clean sheet defense both seasons. 

 

Very consistent. 

 

Stop making things up. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr Mercury said:

one of the best midfielders we've ever had - John Sheridan,  got booed from a section of our fanbase !


Yes he did!

I've posted that before and got slated by everyone who said he wasn't but I distinctly remember it happening

  • Agree 1

 


Amazon | Broadband | AirBnb

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Absolute hogwash again. 

 

He was first choice two seasons on the spin when he was part of a record clean sheet defense both seasons. 

 

Very consistent. 

 

Stop making things up. 

 

 

 

You do realise you're talking about Jack Hunt?

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

 

You do realise you're talking about Jack Hunt?

Nope. 

 

Before Jack hunt arrived. 

 

Remember? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:


Yes he did!

I've posted that before and got slated by everyone who said he wasn't but I distinctly remember it happening

100% did. I recall he scored a goal in the next game at Hillsborough (can't remember the opponents) and ran toward Kop giving some stick back with arm aloft.

He confirmed it in an interview after the game & said the goal was for the fans who had backed him, not booed him (or words to that effect)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure baker is ready for the step to play first team football week in week out should Palmer get injured for a month. So that tells me that a new right wing back or cover if Jos believes in Palmer will be on our list of priorities before the window shuts.

I am sure Jos knows he needs proper competition for Palmer for the season and will get it.

 

As for Fox. Chill out. The guy is a back up player for us. He will be behind Van aken, Pudil and Thorniley for the left side of the three centre backs position as that's the only position he will play along the back line and he will be behind Reach, Boyd and maybe even Penney for the left wingback stop. 

 

Seriously what are you all expecting from him. Yes he may not be good enough at this level. But that is the reason he is 3rd or 4th choice in each of his positions.

Be surprised if he gets 5 games all season.

Edited by pazowl55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Beholder said:

Nope. 

 

Before Jack hunt arrived. 

 

Remember? 

 

At least one, if not both, can't remember, came under Carlos...

 

Under Carlos, Palmer made 15 appearances and 21 appearances in those first two seasons. Hunt made 34 and 32 appearances. So, yeah, Jack Hunt was first choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

 

At least one, if not both, can't remember, came under Carlos...

 

Under Carlos, Palmer made 15 appearances and 21 appearances in those first two seasons. Hunt made 34 and 32 appearances. So, yeah, Jack Hunt was first choice.

It was before Jack hunt so it was before carlos.. 

 

Then under carlos hunt was main man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

It was before Jack hunt so it was before carlos.. 

 

Then under carlos hunt was main man. 

 

Carlos was responsible for at least one of those clean sheet equaling seasons, and Hunt was here and was first choice.

 

Even before Hunt came along, Buxton was first choice - and that is when we were absolutely potless!

 

EDIT: Carlos manager... https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2016/may/resilient-owls-equal-club-record/

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played 39 games then 35 the next season before hunt became main man. 

 

Feel free to copy and paste the wiki stat and apologise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Played 39 games then 35 the next season before hunt became main man. 

 

Feel free to copy and paste the wiki stat and apologise. 

 

You're wrong. See above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:



My guess is that they'll get absolutely mullered, booed and slated

I'm trying my hardest to look forward to this coming season and get excited but dont' think I've ever been as depressed.

Losing to Villareal on Saturday is gonna fire up the loonies innit

I really wish the silent majority would post more, post more positives and help people get excited for the new season instead of all the panic we're seeing on social media at the moment

Surely your memory goes back more than 3 years? We've had a garbage championship team for years apart from about 3. The team we have now might not be top 2 material but can more than hold it's on in this league. Think you are also forgetting we have players like Fessi and Bannan who are miles better than we've had for years. Hardly all doom and gloom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, beef said:

Surely your memory goes back more than 3 years? We've had a garbage championship team for years apart from about 3. The team we have now might not be top 2 material but can more than hold it's on in this league. Think you are also forgetting we have players like Fessi and Bannan who are miles better than we've had for years. Hardly all doom and gloom.

 

 

Yeah I know

But this preseason seems to have injected everyone with mass panic disease

 

lol

 


 


Amazon | Broadband | AirBnb

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

We've not played any Championship games yet


I think it's unfair to hammer any of our players

 

Palmer has played plenty at this level, over the course of the past couple of seasons.

 

It's clear he isn't good enough.

 

However, the way JL turned Nuhiu around there is a glimmer of hope for Palmer.

 

I'm not counting on it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...