7 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Has anyone consideeredseveral other, perfectly good, reasons for our apparent lack of movement in the transfer market.

1. The type of player Jos wants is NPT available

2. If he is, the club and his agent cannot agree on a figure of either his value or his terms.

3. The player himself DOES NOT WANT TO COME TO SHEFFIELD ,particularly Wednesday.

On this last point, this has happened in the past. Not everyone thinks, as we do, Wednesday is 'football heaven'.

If a player does not want to sign, that is it for me.

The thing to me is not so much Wednesday have not signed anyone but Wednesday don't seemed to be getting linked with anyone either. 

Yes 50% if these rumours normally have nothing in them but the other 50% normally do and the vibe I get is Wednesday are not going to sign anyone before the end of the transfer window.

Our lack of recruitment is ridiculous, we've needed gaps filling in the squad for 2 years, unlikely that we'll see many of the long term injured players for any sustained period. ..so we start with the squad that finished last season minus Loovens,  Wallace,  Venancio, Hunt and Rhodes.

If we are developing the youth players to fill gaps, would be right behind that with revised expectations but dont ask me for £42 to watch it. 

Wasn't there talk of discussions with the FL re FFP/P&S a few months ago - I'm guessing there's a gentleman's agreement that we show evidence of getting our spending under control before we can recruit again rather than an official embargo.

To all intents and purposes though I suspect we cannot recruit until we've demonstrated to the FL we're operating with in the guidelines.

58 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I don't think Wednesday are otherwise it would be in the press.

My hunch is we are close to breaking the rules on FFP and Chansiri has had his fingers burned a bit with his losses and doesn't want to fund £20m losses each year forever.

My guess is we are and so are a few other championship clubs. But maybe FL want to keep it quiet? 

24 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

My guess is we are and so are a few other championship clubs. But maybe FL want to keep it quiet? 

If you have rules and penalties for breaking the rules, the last thing you want to do is keep the punishments secret.

The idea is that they act as a deterrent.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Chansiri has had his fingers burned a bit with his losses and doesn't want to fund £20m losses each year forever.

Which is fair enough. I just wish we could get some transparency from the club.

Either Mr Chansiri has reached the limit he's prepared to invest in the project and spending has stopped as a result or we are close to P&S (FFP) and he doesn't want to 'cheat' success because he considers himself as an honourable man (I can't see any other reason why he would be concerned with P&S given the number of clubs who have breached it and won promotion/have promotion-quality squads).

Have to admit, I'm not sure too many multi-millionaires can claim to have always done things the right way and without pushing/stepping over the boundaries once or twice, so the P&S option seems less likely than the "I've invested all I wanted to" route...

I honestly don't care which one it is, and can fully understand both reasons, I'd just like the truth.

9 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

If you have rules and penalties for breaking the rules, the last thing you want to do is keep the punishments secret.

The idea is that they act as a deterrent.

Other clubs will know when people have been embargoed or warned. Telling the public is not a deterrent issue.

Irony being a lot of the players that we have bought that have put us close to FFP haven't done anything that helped in our success. 

Talk about wasting money we must be european champions at that 

11 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

In a similar worry I heard that the earth is going to be hit by a giant asteroid and it's really frightening because the government haven't said anything.

Don't you know the earth is flat and covered in about 70% water, so it'll just skim across the surface, hopefully destroying, London, Manchester and Liverpool as it merrily skips across lol

19 hours ago, wiseoldowl said:

Does anyone know if we are under a transfer embargo. It's worrying because of no incoming transfers.

What, so you joined just to stir it a bit? 41 posts in 12 years? 

Edited by pgmetcalf

Guest mkowl
54 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I do also think there is a genuine desire from within the club to reduce our squad size before we add to it - for football reasons as well as financial.

Hasn't Jos publically stated that he wants a 24 man squad supplemented by the development players. Why would you buy more when you still want to ship 6 out ?

Also for Jos there are about 8 players that for him are effectively new signings.

It is the psyche of a football fan to want new signings but our success rate percentage has been rubbish recently.

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Hasn't Jos publically stated that he wants a 24 man squad supplemented by the development players. Why would you buy more when you still want to ship 6 out ?

Also for Jos there are about 8 players that for him are effectively new signings.

It is the psyche of a football fan to want new signings but our success rate percentage has been rubbish recently.

I think pretty much every manager in the world talks about two players for each position.

Theres a thread on here complaining about lack of investment. It’s so short-sighted it’s actually quite remarkable. The investment being made to retain our top players at the club is significant.

This year will be a fallow year for us