How to watch games next season online if you've been priced out

Hey all

Quick one from me, been crazy busy recently. I've just seen the prices for membership, tickets etc. and after vomiting from the shock of it all, have decided "enough's enough" as it were. There's no point me going on about how much of a rip-off it is etc.... it'll be done to death in other threads. However, it's very safe to say that I think Chansiri has instigated one of the most disgusting pricing policies in all of football. So, f*ck him, I'm literally proud to be sticking two fingers up to him and letting everyone know an alternative way to watch Wednesday if you've been completely priced out.

So, for the less tech-savvy fan out there, here's a quick guide on how to watch every Wednesday game online next season

You're required to do to things

1. Get a VPN

2. Buy a matchday pass on iFollow to watch games

What's a VPN

A VPN, or "Virtual Private Network", is basically a way to reroute your internet traffic to an anonymous server. Put simply, instead of your computer communicating directly with the website you're visiting, what happens instead is your computer communicates to a 'neutral' server, which then communicates to the website you were initially trying to communicate with. It's a bit like instead of phoning someone directly, you phone an operator who then patches you through to that person. There are a few benefits to a VPN, including increased internet security as it effectively anonymises your internet connection once it reaches this neutral server or "operator". However, the most useful thing as far as we're concerned is that a VPN allows you to prentend you're somewhere you're not. Which means even if you're based in the UK, you can watch games on iFollow because you can circumvent the fact that it blocks UK viewers from watching games... as far as iFollow is concerned, you are in a different country. 

How to get and use a VPN

There are both free and paid subscriptions to VPN services. While I can't comment on how good all of them are, I can recommend the one I use. It's called NordVPN and is linked at the bottom of this post. A one-year subscription is $69 (about £50), while a two-year is $79 (about £60). It's super easy to use... it will install a little button in the top right-hand corner of your browser which you can click on to connect to the VPN. There's then an option to change your location to a different server in a different country... hey presto, as far as the internet is concerned you're somewhere you're not. You can tell if it works or not because when you do a google search, you get search results that you'd get as if you'd typed it into the google search for that country and not the UK. For example, if I were to search google right now, I'd get a load of French results because the internet thinks I'm in France. NordVPN also comes equipped with an integrated ad-block that you can choose to enable or disable as you wish (It's off on Owlstalk Neil :biggrin:). At any time you can turn the VPN off. You use the internet in exactly the same way regardless of whether it's on or not, and it doesn't seem to effect performance or speed of internet connection (providing you use Western European servers!). 

And that's it. All you've got to do is pay for a matchday pass

They were five quid last year. Don't know if the price has gone up, but it'll still be fairly economical I'm sure. Best bet is to turn on your VPN and changing country before you visit swfc.co.uk and go through the rigmarole of making an iFollow account and buying a matchday pass. But then you're completely secure, neither the club nor iFollow will be able to tell that you're not in the country that you're pretending to be in. Bish bash bosh... every Wednesday game live on iFollow. 

I appreciate it sounds like I'm trying to sell y'all stuff... but if you've been priced out of Hillsborough but still want to see games, this is the way to do it. At least the club get some money from you too via your iFollow subscription, as opposed to jack and or sheeeiiite because you can't afford to go at all. 

NordVPN link: https://join.nordvpn.com/order/?_ga=2.27090874.641724635.1532449719-2127881826.1532449719

EDIT: For sake of fairness, here's a list of the supposed best VPN services out there

https://www.techradar.com/vpn/best-vpn

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for posting a how to instruction manual for ifollow to go about about blocking people.

The rules of fight club should apply.

Number one rule DON'T TALK ABOUT HOW TO CIRCUMVENT IFOLLOW

FFS

Admin please delete this. If people want help they should keep it to PMs

Edited by agentwalker

7 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

Cheers for posting a how to instruction manual for ifollow to go about about blocking people.

FFS

iFollow know how it's done. They physically can't block you because your web-traffic is anonymised. The only way they can stop it is if they remove the service all together... which they won't do because they're making good money from it. The only way they'd know how to block you is if you post your Email on here and then say "I use a VPN". But hopefully you haven't done that... I sure as hell haven't.  

4 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I think this approach stopped working at the back end of the season. 

It worked fine for me, used it all of last season

Edited by StudentOwl

Just now, StudentOwl said:

iFollow know how it's done. They physically can't block you because your web-traffic is anonymised. The only way they can stop it is if they remove the service all together... which they won't do because they're making good money from it

No they CAN stop you. VPN providers have a limited list of IP ranges they use. Depending on the provider they might have 10 - 20 ranges or expensive providers might have 100's.

I follow can easily get these ranges by just creating an account themselves then black list those ranges.

That's why some people for locked out last season and some didn't. 

4 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

No they CAN stop you. VPN providers have a limited list of IP ranges they use. Depending on the provider they might have 10 - 20 ranges or expensive providers might have 100's.

I follow can easily get these ranges by just creating an account themselves then black list those ranges.

So what you're saying is is that iFollow are aware of this regardless of whether I put this on here or not? Doesn't sound like this thread will impact much on things then :biggrin:

Plenty of VPN providers out there, plenty of possible locations... I'm sure it'll be reyt

2 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

When you say range I think you mean ip address? Vpn services are constantly changing their ip address so it's very difficult for ifollow to keep up, it's a game of cat and mouse but trust me, nothing in that OP is anything ifollow don't already know. 

It'll be reyt. 

There were some stories going around at the end of last season about IFollow accusing people of using VPNs and suspending accounts. One I read was somebody living abroad who had their account suspended even though they proved they were living abroad. So maybe not as foolproof.

9 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Hey all

Quick one from me, been crazy busy recently. I've just seen the prices for membership, tickets etc. and after vomiting from the shock of it all, have decided "enough's enough" as it were. There's no point me going on about how much of a rip-off it is etc.... it'll be done to death in other threads. However, it's very safe to say that I think Chansiri has instigated one of the most disgusting pricing policies in all of football. So, f*ck him, I'm literally proud to be sticking two fingers up to him and letting everyone know an alternative way to watch Wednesday if you've been completely priced out.

So, for the less tech-savvy fan out there, here's a quick guide on how to watch every Wednesday game online next season

1. Get a VPN

What's a VPN

A VPN, or "Virtual Private Network", is basically a way to reroute your internet traffic to an anonymous server. Put simply, instead of your computer communicating directly with the website you're visiting, what happens instead is your computer communicates to a 'neutral' server, which then communicates to the website you were initially trying to communicate with. It's a bit like instead of phoning someone directly, you phone an operator who then patches you through to that person. There are a few benefits to a VPN, including increased internet security as it effectively anonymises your internet connection once it reaches this neutral server or "operator". However, the most useful thing as far as we're concerned is that a VPN allows you to prentend you're somewhere you're not. Which means even if you're based in the UK, you can watch games on iFollow because you can circumvent the fact that it blocks UK viewers from watching games... as far as iFollow is concerned, you are in a different country. 

How to get and use a VPN

There are both free and paid subscriptions to VPN services. While I can't comment on how good all of them are, I can recommend the one I use. It's called NordVPN and is linked at the bottom of this post. A one-year subscription is $69 (about £50), while a two-year is $79 (about £60). It's super easy to use... it will install a little button in the top right-hand corner of your browser which you can click on to connect to the VPN. There's then an option to change your location to a different server in a different country... hey presto, as far as the internet is concerned you're somewhere you're not. You can tell if it works or not because when you do a google search, you get search results that you'd get as if you'd typed it into the google search for that country and not the UK. For example, if I were to search google right now, I'd get a load of French results because the internet thinks I'm in France. NordVPN also comes equipped with an integrated ad-block that you can choose to enable or disable as you wish (It's off on Owlstalk Neil :biggrin:). At any time you can turn the VPN off. You use the internet in exactly the same way regardless of whether it's on or not, and it doesn't seem to effect performance or speed of internet connection (providing you use Western European servers!). 

They were five quid last year. Don't know if the price has gone up, but it'll still be fairly economical I'm sure. Best bet is to turn on your VPN and changing country before you visit swfc.co.uk and go through the rigmarole of making an iFollow account and buying a matchday pass. But then you're completely secure, neither the club nor iFollow will be able to tell that you're not in the country that you're pretending to be in. Bish bash bosh... every Wednesday game live on iFollow. 

I appreciate it sounds like I'm trying to sell y'all stuff... but if you've been priced out of Hillsborough but still want to see games, this is the way to do it. At least the club get some money from you too via your iFollow subscription, as opposed to jack and or sheeeiiite because you can't afford to go at all. 

NordVPN link: https://join.nordvpn.com/order/?_ga=2.27090874.641724635.1532449719-2127881826.1532449719

EDIT: For sake of fairness, here's a list of the supposed best VPN services out there

8 hours ago, agentwalker said:

FFS

too late Bro, screen shotted it already.

8 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

So what you're saying is is that iFollow are aware of this regardless of whether I put this on here or not? Doesn't sound like this thread will impact much on things then :biggrin:

Plenty of VPN providers out there, plenty of possible locations... I'm sure it'll be reyt

top man. don't get to many but have the time to watch a few. great info and thanks.

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

iFollow know how it's done. They physically can't block you because your web-traffic is anonymised. The only way they can stop it is if they remove the service all together... which they won't do because they're making good money from it. The only way they'd know how to block you is if you post your Email on here and then say "I use a VPN". But hopefully you haven't done that... I sure as hell haven't.  

Hold on a minute!

First you say today’s announcement was the final straw and you were “vomiting from the shock” and then you go on to say it worked for you all of last season???

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rickygoo said:

I think this approach stopped working at the back end of the season. 

Yes they started blocking some VPN’s mine included.  Some were still ok I switched and managed to get back through. Bit of a cat and mouse game 

2 hours ago, owls101 said:

Unless they are forced to, why would iFollow give a poo if folk are using a vpn? They're making money out of it

Exactly right. iFollow likely would want no restrictions. The restrictions are enforced by the EFL due to the licence agreement with Sky.

3 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Hey all

1. Get a VPN

What's a VPN

How to get and use a VPN

Completely agree with the OP.

Whoever at the club seems to think we are going to continue to swallow these ridiculous price increases each season need to give their head a wobble.

A lot of people already know about VPNs etc, but haven’t set this because of the hassle of setting it up. By setting these crazy prices it makes the worth it.

Edited by Stevelknievel