I want our owl back

Have kept stum until now ....

But I want our owl back. Beautiful, unique, classic, recognisable. Had it on out in Russia a people who have never even watched a Wednesday game on TV recognised it straight away. Why do clubs insist on a rebrand and a so called move forward. Our new badge does nothing for us. Previous iterations such as on the orange 2000's kit were better even. It's old news but I dont care. Blinded by nostalgia maybe but it's just fact, if it aint broke don't fix it and actually I am ashamed to be part of the masses who rolled over and had their belly tickled with a tuna and said nothing about it. New kits are rank  (not that I buy them anyway) and the owl on pills hand sewn by a one armed 90 year old thai factory worker is just the cherry. 

Phew, gonna go and sit down. Season probably needs to start soon

The logo you're talking about was only 40 years or so old.  It wasn't the original crest for the club. 

Now I know the current one isnt the original either but its a closer representation.

Im not fussed about the new (old) badge but it looks like its here to stay for now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UDMURT said:

But I want our owl back. Beautiful, unique, classic, recognisable. Had it on out in Russia a people who have never even watched a Wednesday game on TV recognised it straight away. Why do clubs insist on a rebrand and a so called move forward. Our new badge does nothing for us. Previous iterations such as on the orange 2000's kit were better even. It's old news but I dont care. Blinded by nostalgia maybe but it's just fact, if it aint broke don't fix it and actually I am ashamed to be part of the masses who rolled over and had their belly tickled with a tuna and said nothing about it. New kits are rank  (not that I buy them anyway) and the owl on pills hand sewn by a one armed 90 year old thai factory worker is just the cherry. 

Bit harsh but I agree with your point, I preferred the previous crest.

Go to a fans forum and tell Chansiri, he listened on the stripes 

1 minute ago, mike84 said:

The logo you're talking about was only 40 years or so old.  It wasn't the original crest for the club. 

Now I know the current one isnt the original either but its a closer representation.

Im not fussed about the new (old) badge but it looks like its here to stay for now.

I would have been shocked if they had come up with that design in 1867 

I am not bothered that it's not original, badges evolve but devolving some piece on nonsense when you have something totally marketable and unique is bad business and bad design. An Oldham light badge does nothing compared to something which would have , in my opinion spanned the test of time as something really interesting. 

1 minute ago, Pulsar said:

I normally neg flounces, however, i love the 70's Owl as it has been the crest since i started going so I'm going to flounce with you.

I reckon it would be hard to find someone who genuinely thinks this one is better. Almost everyone alive sees that as our badge and the reasons for changing it were not valid. Constant harking back to a bygone era is pointless. If anything simplifying the design back to the bukta kits would have been symbolic and celebratory of our history rather than this startled thing on a twig 

Guest Maxine

I agree with you on the owl, the new one is horrible but I don't think the kit is rank not perfect because of the plain back but still pretty decent.

It's ironic that when the 70's owl was introduced it received a VERY mixed reception. No badge was worn on the kit then anyway and no replica kits were on sale at extortionate prices (Suggs sold a few shirts now and again) and no social media then of course but The Star's Letters Page had a number of disgruntled fans commenting on our tradition being washed away. I must be getting old when we have come full circle and the 70's design is now a classic not to be messed with.

Edited by wilfsmith
pell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wilfsmith said:

It's ironic that when the 70's owl was introduced it received a VERY mixed reception. No badge was worn on the kit then anyway and no replica kits were on sale at extortionate prices (Suggs sold a few shirts now and again) and no social media then of course but The Star's Letters Page had a number of disgruntled fans commenting on our tradition being washed away. I must be getting old when we have come full circle and the 70's design is now a classic not to be messed with.

I forgot all about Suggs Sports!

1 hour ago, UDMURT said:

But I want our owl back. Beautiful, unique, classic, recognisable. Had it on out in Russia a people who have never even watched a Wednesday game on TV recognised it straight away.>>>>> Why do clubs insist on a rebrand and a so called move forward<<<<<<. Our new badge does nothing for us. Previous iterations such as on the orange 2000's kit were better even. It's old news but I dont care. Blinded by nostalgia maybe but it's just fact, if it aint broke don't fix it and actually I am ashamed to be part of the masses who rolled over and had their belly tickled with a tuna and said nothing about it. New kits are rank  (not that I buy them anyway) and the owl on pills hand sewn by a one armed 90 year old thai factory worker is just the cherry. 

you do realise that the badge/logo you're refering to was a REBRAND don't you ????