Stability

There's some truth in that if any of our long term injuries come back fit and return to anywhere near their best i.e Hooper, Lee, Abdi and Fletcher.  They are all (or were) excelllent players at this level and have not been involved for ages on a regular basis.

Hooper and Fletcher were on fire as a partnership early last season, Lee needs no words and Abdi was signed with the best intentions and came with a good reputation.  Any 2 from the 4 returning and hitting form would be a huge boost having been out for so long.  

The enigma that is Matias could also yet feature.  Jones has been a fringe player who if not sold could also have something still to offer.  His run in the team last year coincided with a decent run of results too.

When you think about it, we were incredibly unlucky (as fans) to have so many potentially decent players missing for such long periods.  The cause will have been a mixture of stuff but surely some will be fit and be involved in the clubs and Jos' new plan for moving us forward.

I remain positive, expectations seem lower and some of the entitlement has wained.  A decent start following a good finish to last season could see a buzz around the place again and selling a few is now taken by most as a given.

A couple of decent loan signings with the potential to excite (pace) will lift the spirits and a horriblebastard (Hutch if he stays fit?) to drive and organise would be a boost.

• Like 1

Any player that Jos is yet to work with because of injury is effectively a new player for him.

Correct me if wrong.

Is it Westwood. Van Aken. Hooper. Lee and Fletcher. 

Nice range of players in all 3 areas of the field there for him to work with and all potential first 11 players when fit.

Might be another reason as to why there is a lack of signings and it could not be just down to lack of funds.

4 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

Teams signing lots of player all have to settle in and gel, if we don't sign anyone we still have the players to do well and we might get off to  a good start for a change

Whats this signing players all about ? 

Never heard of this practice. 

A lot to be said for a settled squad - certainly in a few of our last starts I feel the new players hadn't gelled and became a bit of a running joke. Hoping this time round we can get off to a flier and hopefully build on from that. 

Lets be right about it, at times last season we had 14 first team members out injured including:

Westwood - Best keeper in league

Lees - Our best defender, certainly looked more solid once he was back

Lee - IMO our best player - makes us tick and is our engine

Bannan - Our biggest provider of creativity, his return last season certainly lifted the style and chances we were creating

Fessi - One of best players in league - before his comeback I had always said Lee was more important, after seeing him in a very average team at end of season I'm not so sure of that anymore! If he's that hungry this season he could have his best year yet.

Hooper - Our best striker, proved he can play a 9 or 10 role I think and despite missing more than half a season still up there in top scorer charts

Fletcher - Best number 9 at club

Forest seem to have signed a new team but debatably I'm not sure if the players they are signing are better than that spine of Westwood, Lees, Bannan, Lee, Fessi & Hooper? Certainly don't know each other and unproven together!  

12 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

There's some truth in that if any of our long term injuries come back fit and return to anywhere near their best i.e Hooper, Lee, Abdi and Fletcher.  They are all (or were) excelllent players at this level and have not been involved for ages on a regular basis.

Hooper and Fletcher were on fire as a partnership early last season, Lee needs no words and Abdi was signed with the best intentions and came with a good reputation.  Any 2 from the 4 returning and hitting form would be a huge boost having been out for so long.  

The enigma that is Matias could also yet feature.  Jones has been a fringe player who if not sold could also have something still to offer.  His run in the team last year coincided with a decent run of results too.

When you think about it, we were incredibly unlucky (as fans) to have so many potentially decent players missing for such long periods.  The cause will have been a mixture of stuff but surely some will be fit and be involved in the clubs and Jos' new plan for moving us forward.

I remain positive, expectations seem lower and some of the entitlement has wained.  A decent start following a good finish to last season could see a buzz around the place again and selling a few is now taken by most as a given.

A couple of decent loan signings with the potential to excite (pace) will lift the spirits and a horriblebastard (Hutch if he stays fit?) to drive and organise would be a boost.

Good points.

Your view on Jones goes against popular opinion on here, but you are right. Our record when he plays is really good.

Quiet but highly efficient. A second-tier Gareth Barry.

2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

A lot to be said for a settled squad - certainly in a few of our last starts I feel the new players hadn't gelled and became a bit of a running joke. Hoping this time round we can get off to a flier and hopefully build on from that. 

Lets be right about it, at times last season we had 14 first team members out injured including:

Westwood - Best keeper in league

Lees - Our best defender, certainly looked more solid once he was back

Lee - IMO our best player - makes us tick and is our engine

Bannan - Our biggest provider of creativity, his return last season certainly lifted the style and chances we were creating

Fessi - One of best players in league - before his comeback I had always said Lee was more important, after seeing him in a very average team at end of season I'm not so sure of that anymore! If he's that hungry this season he could have his best year yet.

Hooper - Our best striker, proved he can play a 9 or 10 role I think and despite missing more than half a season still up there in top scorer charts

Fletcher - Best number 9 at club

Forest seem to have signed a new team but debatably I'm not sure if the players they are signing are better than that spine of Westwood, Lees, Bannan, Lee, Fessi & Hooper? Certainly don't know each other and unproven together!  

United lost their best midfielder last season and that was it...if they had lost 10 players like we did they would have been relegated

16 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

Teams signing lots of player all have to settle in and gel, if we don't sign anyone we still have the players to do well and we might get off to  a good start for a change.

A good start is a distinct possibility but any injuries and that's where we might suffer.

22 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

Teams signing lots of player all have to settle in and gel, if we don't sign anyone we still have the players to do well and we might get off to  a good start for a change

Agreed.So long as we stay well clear of injuries to key players like FF and BB because that proved to be very costly indeed. :luhukay:.

All our players know one another inside out, their strengths, their weaknesses. That is a bigger plus point than what Forest are doing. They have signed a full side. Keeping all them happy, integration etc. Don't assume they will hit the ground running. That could come back and bite them big style. Sooner be in Wednesday position provided we get all the key players back from injury.