Question re: transfer window

One thing has always puzzled me about the transfer window and I just can't understand. How on earth has it never taken to the courts under restraint of trade? There is no other industry or area of employment that you could only join a rival during 2 specific times of the year, it simply wouldn't be allowed so why is it in football?

Just now, damianb1 said:

One thing has always puzzled me about the transfer window and I just can't understand. How on earth has it never taken to the courts under restraint of trade? There is no other industry or area of employment that you could only join a rival during 2 specific times of the year, it simply wouldn't be allowed so why is it in football?

Good question that needs an answer..............................anybody ?

Players are allowed to sign for new clubs if they are currently out of contract.

The transfer window only really applies to transfers between two clubs where a contract is being terminated or broken.

For example, if Clare continues on a weekly contract into September he can still sign for another club, at the end of the "week".

Or if Wigan don't sign Wallace, he can sign for someone in Sept / Oct. etc.

But if Panathaniakos (?) find some money for Fletcher, but find it after the window shuts, he can't move, because he is under contract.

12 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

All junior doctors on rotation change their role/employer on only two specific days each year.

It's called self-regulation. Many sectors of the economy do it to a greater or lesser degree.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Players are allowed to sign for new clubs if they are currently out of contract.

The transfer window only really applies to transfers between two clubs where a contract is being terminated or broken.

For example, if Clare continues on a weekly contract into September he can still sign for another club, at the end of the "week".

Or if Wigan don't sign Wallace, he can sign for someone in Sept / Oct. etc.

But if Panathaniakos (?) find some money for Fletcher, but find it after the window shuts, he can't move, because he is under contract.

But the question is why transfer windows at all,why two specific windows ?,why not an all year thing.

1 minute ago, DELUDED OWL said:

But the question is why transfer windows at all,why two specific windows ?,why not an all year thing.

Sorry, but it wasn't.

The question was about restraint of trade. Essentially, it was: why can't a player change employer at any time? Answer, he can, unless he's under contract.

And it's never (in my lifetime at least) been an all year thing.

Just now, Tamworthowl said:

Sorry, but it wasn't.

The question was about restraint of trade. Essentially, it was: why can't a player change employer at any time? Answer, he can, unless he's under contract.

And it's never (in my lifetime at least) been an all year thing.

Ok,bit pedantic but,the second part of his question was why only 2 specific times of a year...........that better ?

How on earth has it never taken to the courts under restraint of trade?

There is no other industry or area of employment that you could only join a rival during 2 specific times of the year

1 hour ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Probably to prevent tactical transfers. If a team is doing well in the league, they might try to buy or even unsettle players in rival teams to put them at a disadvantage...

1 hour ago, Watson said:

Even The football league have to bow to the law.

When a club sign up to the rules of the game you have to abide by them.. So a buying club who want to buy a player out of the window will be breaking those rules and subject to very harsh sanctions.

1 minute ago, lanzaroteowl said:

When a club sign up to the rules of the game you have to abide by them.. So a buying club who want to buy a player out of the window will be breaking those rules and subject to very harsh sanctions.

They could challenge the FL rules if they thought they were outside of the law. 

1 minute ago, Watson said:

They could challenge the FL rules if they thought they were outside of the law. 

But any organization can set up any rules it deems fit

Like the first rule of fight club

To join this organization you must first agree to the rules

Players sign contracts knowing and agreeing with theses rules 

So no conflict with other laws

1 minute ago, lanzaroteowl said:

But any organization can set up any rules it deems fit

Like the first rule of fight club

To join this organization you must first agree to the rules

Players sign contracts knowing and agreeing with theses rules 

So no conflict with other laws

If the law says you have to pay a certain level of wage to a person then an organisation can't pay less even if you agree to the lower wage.  The law has to be respected. 

Presumably a club has to adhere to rules of league and transfer dealines have always been in football. I can understand why they are present but now it has gone too rigid and think it hampers young player development. I can not see why a club could not loan out an U/21or U/23 for month or 2 quite away into season. It would allow them chance to gain experience even if only for a short period. Its possible you will have a player on cusp of first team nad after first month realise not quite ready yet needs a few games and no option to send out to get them until January.