Strength of the squad

I expect we'll be switching between 3-5-2 and 3-4-3. Just don't think we've got good enough players to play a back four (at present it'd be Palmer, Lees, Pudil, Fox - ouch!) and 3 at the back covers for some of that.  A bit like with England where there wasn't really a reliable centre back duo to select on their own. 

Goalies: Westwood would still be my number one.  I think Dawson is the second best and apparently Wallis in the under 23s is a great prospect too.  So would try to loan out Wildsmith to a League One club if at all possible. 

Defence: If we could only sign one player this summer I'd probably make it a CB (James Collins still not found a club after leaving WHU?) as I none of the CBs we've got - Lees, Pudil, Thorniley, Van-Aken - are would be what you would call dominant.  All good players but none of them monsters you might need to withstand an aerial assault in the Championship.  

In the meantime I'd try Hutchinson there as when he plays CB he is less likely to get injured and gets fewer bookings.  He'd also be perfect for the "John Stones" role in the centre bringing the ball out and starting passing moves, IMO.  Thats why I'm surprised he played in CM against Lincoln the other night. Should at least try it whilst we've got friendlies.  He would also by my new club captain even if he can't play every match.

Wing backs: I can understand why we sold Hunt, he had a year on his contract, is certainly not indispensable and someone was actually willing to pay 7 figures in cash for him.  But it does leave us short in that position as I don't think Palmer or Baker are good enough for a play off push.  On the training video from yesterday Lee seemed to be playing on the right in that position and I think he would be the best option as things stand but if we can get someone like Byram on loan that would be ideal.

On the left I don't rate Fox at all, especially as an attacking wing back.  Boyd could do a job there but I think Reach would be a natrual for the position as had bags of energy and is not really a winger or full back, in fact he said in an interview last year this was his favourite position.  I understand he did well in CM last season and Jos only played him at LWB on the final day, but as we've got Bannan back in CM I don't think there is room/need for another left footer there.

Centre mid: I'd imagine we'll sometimes play 3 in there away from home, but more often you could go 3-4-3 with Pelupessy and Bannan sitting and starting play with three further forward.

Forwards: We've still got too many.  If Fletcher does got to Panathaniokos then this will help resolve this and hopefully give us the cash to invest in the CB and RWB I've prioritised above.  If playing 3-5-2 then we just choose two up top.  Otherwise we could have two from Forestieri/Joao/Matias playing wide of Nuhiu, or Forestieri/Hooper more free in a 3-4-1-2 behind the other strikers.  Doubt we can get rid of Winnall as he won't be fit until after the window has closed but this could be like a new signing for us if Jos can get the best out of him.

So I don't think we need loads of incomings, which is good as we can't afford it! Maybe just a RWB and a CB.

So my preferred starting line up for Wigan as things stand is:cleardot.gif

Westwood
   Lees     Hutchinson    Van Aken
Lee   Pelupessy    Bannan      Reach
     Joao                        Forestieri
                   Nuhiu 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:
I expect we'll be switching between 3-5-2 and 3-4-3. Just don't think we've got good enough players to play a back four (at present it'd be Palmer, Lees, Pudil, Fox - ouch!) and 3 at the back covers for some of that.  A bit like with England where there wasn't really a reliable centre back duo to select on their own. 

Goalies: Westwood would still be my number one.  I think Dawson is the second best and apparently Wallis in the under 23s is a great prospect too.  So would try to loan out Wildsmith to a League One club if at all possible. 

Defence: If we could only sign one player this summer I'd probably make it a CB (James Collins still not found a club after leaving WHU?) as I none of the CBs we've got - Lees, Pudil, Thorniley, Van-Aken - are would be what you would call dominant.  All good players but none of them monsters you might need to withstand an aerial assault in the Championship.  

In the meantime I'd try Hutchinson there as when he plays CB he is less likely to get injured and gets fewer bookings.  He'd also be perfect for the "John Stones" role in the centre bringing the ball out and starting passing moves, IMO.  Thats why I'm surprised he played in CM against Lincoln the other night. Should at least try it whilst we've got friendlies.  He would also by my new club captain even if he can't play every match.

Wing backs: I can understand why we sold Hunt, he had a year on his contract, is certainly not indispensable and someone was actually willing to pay 7 figures in cash for him.  But it does leave us short in that position as I don't think Palmer or Baker are good enough for a play off push.  On the training video from yesterday Lee seemed to be playing on the right in that position and I think he would be the best option as things stand but if we can get someone like Byram on loan that would be ideal.

On the left I don't rate Fox at all, especially as an attacking wing back.  Boyd could do a job there but I think Reach would be a natrual for the position as had bags of energy and is not really a winger or full back, in fact he said in an interview last year this was his favourite position.  I understand he did well in CM last season and Jos only played him at LWB on the final day, but as we've got Bannan back in CM I don't think there is room/need for another left footer there.

Centre mid: I'd imagine we'll sometimes play 3 in there away from home, but more often you could go 3-4-3 with Pelupessy and Bannan sitting and starting play with three further forward.

Forwards: We've still got too many.  If Fletcher does got to Panathaniokos then this will help resolve this and hopefully give us the cash to invest in the CB and RWB I've prioritised above.  If playing 3-5-2 then we just choose two up top.  Otherwise we could have two from Forestieri/Joao/Matias playing wide of Nuhiu, or Forestieri/Hooper more free in a 3-4-1-2 behind the other strikers.  Doubt we can get rid of Winnall as he won't be fit until after the window has closed but this could be like a new signing for us if Jos can get the best out of him.

So I don't think we need loads of incomings, which is good as we can't afford it! Maybe just a RWB and a CB.

Westwood
                   Nuhiu 

Excellent post. Pretty much agree with all that. Hooper and Fletcher to challenge Nuhiu in the central striker role and Pudil to challenge Van Aken.

By the way, I’m a huge advocate for Reach to play left wing back. Perfect  for the role.

Edited by Bouncing Owl

Think Jos plays cards close to chest hence behind closed door games and both halves having players in them thinking would be in first eleven. Agree with point that defending is our weakest are in particular centre back. Think we will employ 3-5-2 against deemed stronger opponents.

Did not see Remy (assistant manager) in any of training videos was he at Lincoln? If not where is he and what is he up to.

6 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Westwood
                   Nuhiu 

Would agree with that with the exception of JVA at left centre back. He needs to prove he can handle that role better than Pudil who is a better tackler and played surprisingly well there at the end of last season.

We have not seen JVA yet in a back three, but he looked shaky in a two. Has youth on his side & should come good but feel it’s Pudils shirt to lose for now.

7 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Westwood
                   Nuhiu 

A fair assessment this One thing I would say is, I don’t think this will be the squad we start with Where I slightly disagree, as things stand, our overload is in midfield, especially if a lot of the time, we may only play two in there At present we have, Lee, Pelupessy, Bannan, Jones, Abdi, Reach and Hutchinson, plus a few youngsters, all vying for two, or sometimes, three players 

Of course Teach and Hutchinson can play elsewhere

1 minute ago, brando said:

big time,we will be overrun again and again ,as last season unless some battlers are brought in

This my worry. we have seen it time and time again in last few seasons , none more so than the play off final where Hull`s midfield steam rollered us . Its ok having the Fessi`s and Bannans ,but you need some muscle in there too ,and some pace to break at speed. We are so pedestrian where we go forward.  

11 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Westwood
                   Nuhiu 

Playing that formation takes away the concerns over the opinions of how poor our full backs are. Job done.

We've got enough to give us a decent start. Might be a wait and see what Jos can do by Xmas thing.

If we're on auto pace or top 6 we'll spend. If not we won't due to FFP.

Add a couple of youngster loans like Derby just have from Chelsea and Liverpool and we'd be set.

The squad is stronger in some areas than others. The centre defence/wing back areas are where we are arguably weak.

I suspect we’ll go with what we’ve got and hope someone emerges or re-establish themselves such as Palmer at right wing-back. It’s a gamble but one we seemingly having got much option but taking?

14 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

The squad is stronger in some areas than others. The centre defence/wing back areas are where we are arguably weak.

I suspect we’ll go with what we’ve got and hope someone emerges or re-establish themselves such as Palmer at right wing-back. It’s a gamble but one we seemingly having got much option but taking?

No goals conceded up to now in pre-season. 

9 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

This my worry. we have seen it time and time again in last few seasons , none more so than the play off final where Hull`s midfield steam rollered us . Its ok having the Fessi`s and Bannans ,but you need some muscle in there too ,and some pace to break at speed. We are so pedestrian where we go forward.  

very,very true,hopefully a more direct approach will be adopted

Unfortunately, if the rumours are to be believed, we won’t know our squad strength until the end of the window 

Think that Jos will stick with the system we have been using, and probably hopes that we WILL be active in the transfer market Why else would we play a system that requires the type of players we are desperately short of? Numbers wise, the strength of the squad is in the midfield area

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Unfortunately, if the rumours are to be believed, we won’t know our squad strength until the end of the window 

Think that Jos will stick with the system we have been using, and probably hopes that we WILL be active in the transfer market Why else would we play a system that requires the type of players we are desperately short of? Numbers wise, the strength of the squad is in the midfield area

What rumours? The ones you've just made up? 

7 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

What rumours? The ones you've just made up? 

No ones that continue to link our players with other clubs Or the one which The Star keeps peddling, where it claims we still need to move players out Those rumours