Adam Reach "The #SWFC players are more humble now"

“I feel like this year the lads have come in with a bit more humility than maybe we have in the last two seasons,” Reach told The Star.

“I think we got a shock last season.

“We probably came in previous seasons and just thought ‘we will do our jobs as players and be there again.’

“But everyone has come in this year with a refreshed mentality and ready for the challenge. We are not going to take anyone lightly. “The cliche is to take one game at a time but I think that’s what we have got to do.

“We are not going to get carried away with ourselves. We are going to stay humble and work hard as a team.

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Infuriating they thought that last season. Deservedly got egg on their face if that was the attitude. Probably from the top down it was no doubt. King Carlos to blame for a lot of that.

Undoubtedly

You know what? 

After seeing how England went about their business, even if we WERE smashing the league and 30 points ahead of every other team in the Championship, I'd still want our players to be humble and down to earth anyway

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Arcadianrocket

Don't think Reach should be admitting this.They get paid in a week what most of us earn in a year and he is admitting he came in last season effectively with a crap attitude.

Reach has always struck me as slightly weak mentally and quotes like these don't help.

1 minute ago, Arcadianrocket said:

Don't think Reach should be admitting this.They get paid in a week what most of us earn in a year and he is admitting he came in last season effectively with a crap attitude.

Reach has always struck me as slightly weak mentally and quotes like these don't help.

Doesn't make any difference to most people I wouldn't imagine

Nice to see the players being humble and cracking on

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Arcadianrocket
Just now, @owlstalk said:

Doesn't make any difference to most people I wouldn't imagine

Nice to see the players being humble and cracking on

or doing their jobs?

13 minutes ago, Arcadianrocket said:

Sorry but that's a load of bull.

Reach is being honest with the fans.  We know the team under performed and weren't at the races from Preston Away onwards that was obvious for anyone to see.  Yes we suffered injuries, but Reach is right in what he is saying and I'd say there was an element of that attitude towards the back end of Carlos' second year.  We hit a good run of form, got a draw at Huddersfield and thought it was job done.  We were outworked in the 2nd leg by a much fitter, more hungry team.  The writing was on the wall going into CC's 3rd season.  The players should take some responsibility, however attitude reflects leadership and I don't think there was much going into last season.

Let's hope he is right and Jos is creating an environment where the player in form will play - regardless of cost, reputation or age.

As for Reach being mentally weak, he was the clubs record signing at the time who struggled to find his feet when he first signed.  He was played in a number of positions and never got a good run in the team in a settled role.  He was slated by some fans and many questions were asked about the fee we paid.  He showed a great attitude and worked hard through the dark times last year when everyone was dropping like flies.  Responded by being our player of the season and carrying a lot of pressure the team was under late December into January and February.

To call him mentally weak is quite frankly absurd.

Edited by DesWalker
  • Like 3

Guest Arcadianrocket
3 minutes ago, DesWalker said:

Sorry but that's a load of bull.

Reach is being honest with the fans.  We know the team under performed and weren't at the races from Preston Away onwards that was obvious for anyone to see.  Yes we suffered injuries, but Reach is right in what he is saying and I'd say there was an element of that attitude towards the back end of Carlos' second year.  We hit a good run of form, got a draw at Huddersfield and thought it was job done.  We were outworked in the 2nd leg by a much fitter, more hungry team.  The writing was on the wall going into CC's 3rd season.  The players should take some responsibility, however attitude reflects leadership and I don't think there was much going into last season.

Let's hope he is right and Jos is creating an environment where the player in form will play - regardless of cost, reputation or age.

As for Reach being mentally weak, he was the clubs record signing at the time who struggled to find his feet when he first signed.  He was played in a number of positions and never got a good run in the team in a settled role.  He was slated by some fans and many questions were asked about the fee we paid.  He showed a great attitude and worked hard through the dark times last year when everyone was dropping like flies.  Responded by being our player of the season and carrying a lot of pressure the team was under late December into January and February.

To call him mentally weak is quite frankly absurd.

Any player should go into any game with the mentality to win. If they don't they are mentally weak.

I rate Reach when he is on form, running hard at defenders and getting crosses in. Too many times though he is pulling out of challenges etc. He certainly not captain material and a player you can rely on. He is not in the same league as say Westwood, Pudil or Tom Lees at knowing what you will get before the game starts.

The Adam Reach we see depends on the first 15 mins of the game IMO

Always think it's odd saying that a team shouldn't underestimate an opponent or stay humble. Even saying it implies that you do feel you are superior to them and are doing the exact opposite. That said the correct attitude is to apply effort and work rate whether you are humble or not, if we do that then we'll be alright

The sad truth is that the team were probably correct right to think that they would be there again if they'd done their job as players.  However we were missing virtually our first 11 for much of the season - which is what really cost us.  The late season form when we got a few more (but not all) first teamers back shows we were good enough to beat virtually anyone in this division other than maybe Wolves. 

36 minutes ago, Arcadianrocket said:

I totally disagree. A player who was weak mentally would have hidden last year. Reach didn't at times he carried the team on his own. You might criticise his transfer fee, his wages but I don't think you can criticise his work rate, ability or mental strength.

Just now, prowl said:

I totally disagree. A player who was weak mentally would have hidden last year. Reach didn't at times he carried the team on his own. You might criticise his transfer fee, his wages but I don't think you can criticise his work rate, ability or mental strength.

I agree with this 100%

Owlstalk Shop