Categorise the squad

Trimming the squad seems to be the priority of the summer - but who makes the cut?  Put the squad into these categories.

1. Sell at any price

Fox, Boyd, Jones, Abdi, Matias

2. Sell only at the right price

Westwood, Wildsmith, Palmer, JVA, Pudil, Thorniley, Lee, Hutchinson, Fletcher, Hooper, Winnall

3. Resist any offers for

Dawson, Lees, Reach, Bannan, Forestieri, Nuhiu, Joao, Pelupessy

• Haha 3

1. Sell at any price

Jones, Abdi,

Fox, Boyd, Matias, one from (Westwood, Wildsmith, Dawson), JVA, Thorniley, Lee, Hutchinson, Fletcher, Hooper, Winnall

3. Resist any offers for

Lees, Reach, Bannan, Forestieri, Nuhiu, Joao, Pelupessy, Palmer, Baker, Pudil, Penney

21 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

1. Sell at any price

Jones, Abdi,

Fox, Boyd, Matias, one from (Westwood, Wildsmith, Dawson), JVA, Thorniley, Lee, Hutchinson, Fletcher, Hooper, Winnall

3. Resist any offers for

Lees, Reach, Bannan, Forestieri, Nuhiu, Joao, Pelupessy, Palmer, Baker, Pudil, Penney

lollollollol

31 minutes ago, Owl in Nottingham said:

Very hard to define and even harder to achieve the right price.

It was always an issue for Leslie Crowther's contestants ...

... "Owl in Nottingham, Come on Down!!!! We've got three Wednesday lads can you name their price, this will get you the fitted kitchen and cruise in the Orkneys"

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

1. Sell at any price

Jones, Abdi,

3. Resist any offers for

Free transfer would be the right price for Fletcher.

Getting rid of his wage bill for the next 2 years would be brilliant business.

14 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Free transfer would be the right price for Fletcher.

Getting rid of his wage bill for the next 2 years would be brilliant business.

Yeah, the "right price" doesn't necessarily mean transfer fee.  So if we could shift Fletcher in a way that clears all his wages (either on loan or permanent) that is the right price.  But if someone wants to take him on loan but will only pay half his wages for example then I wouldn't take the deal.

I think in general he has played well for us whenever available, its just that he's cost us too much and his position shouldn't have been the priority at the time we signed him. 

1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

Yeah, the "right price" doesn't necessarily mean transfer fee.  So if we could shift Fletcher in a way that clears all his wages (either on loan or permanent) that is the right price.  But if someone wants to take him on loan but will only pay half his wages for example then I wouldn't take the deal.

I think in general he has played well for us whenever available, its just that he's cost us too much and his position shouldn't have been the priority at the time we signed him. 

He was brought in as an uprating of Nuhiu's position. At the time Atdhe was not scoring goals and was reviled by large sections of the fanbase.

If we wanted promotion it was a logical signing even if we disagree on the wages (whatever they were) and the length of contract.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

By that logic you'd be keeping Rhodes at any cost and selling Nuhiu?

Not at all, I think Nuhiu is a decent enough player and had a cracking end to the season but I don't think he is indispensable to the club, I don't think anyone is indispensable and firmly believe everyone has their price.

For what it's worth I do honestly believe the Rhodes deal will bite us on the arse big style.

1 hour ago, prowl said:

He was brought in as an uprating of Nuhiu's position. At the time Atdhe was not scoring goals and was reviled by large sections of the fanbase.

If we wanted promotion it was a logical signing even if we disagree on the wages (whatever they were) and the length of contract.

He was bought as an upgrade on Nuhiu, but Nuhiu's position in the squad was 4th choice striker behind Hooper, FF and Joao - and we'd been scoring goals for fun that season.

Loovens was already ageing at the point, Pudil and Hunt had done well but weren't the very best and we had no natural pacey winger CC trusted.  So if we'd invested some of that money at the back and on a top winger (you could aruge Reach got their eventually) instead of on Abdi and Loovens I think we'd have been better off.

Having said that, I think Fletcher has done well for us when he's played - its just we should've never ended up with 6 strikers in the squad and a paucity of options at the back.