Getting the best out of FF

Whilst he divides opinion, he's on his day one of the best players in the league and I hope Jos is planning how best to utilise him next season. He really needs to be the focal point with the team built around him.

I've always thought he plays best from the left but that's never going to happen in a 3-5-2. Then again I don't think he really suits playing as an out an out striker in a 2 man attack. I'd love to see him in a free role 'number 10' behind 2 strikers. Sounds very attack minded but in a 3-5-2 with 2 players sitting it should afford us that luxury. For me it means that Reach doesn't start or plays at left wing back which I'm sure won't prove popular but personally I think it would suit the balance of the team.

Something along the lines of:

Westwood

New RWB, New CD, Lees, Pudil, Reach

Bannan, Hutch

FF

Fletcher, Hooper

No doubt the starting forwards would also divide opinion and are very much fitness dependent.

Fletcher and Hooper were our best partnership but coming back from injury under a new manager they need to prove worthy of ousting the incumbents, Nuhiu and Joao.

Not sure we are going to see any "new"s

Edited by OxonOwl

You need strikers who are capable of running behind defences . 

Joao was awesome for us during that winning streak . 

Big, strong and pacy he frightened defenders to death.

As Rowett said when we unexpectedly beat Derby , Joao was unplayable that night against some very experienced defenders.

He needs to be in the team 

Guest Arcadianrocket

Some of the posters on here are quite hard to understand - Joao played very well last season and nuhiu and yet it still appears most are waiting for them to fail yet other strikers who have been consistently crap for 2 years are being willed on to come good. It's an odd one.

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

You need strikers who are capable of running behind defences . 

Joao was awesome for us during that winning streak . 

Big, strong and pacy he frightened defenders to death.

As Rowett said when we unexpectedly beat Derby , Joao was unplayable that night against some very experienced defenders.

He needs to be in the team 

Agreed. Joao and FF either side of a central striker is the way to go. 4-3-3 will allow us more control in midfield but we will be vulnerable defensively. 3-4-3 will provide us with a solid base defensively but less control in midfield. 

However, I really want us to go with a front 3 as it will get the best out of Joao and FF and we will definitely be a threat going forward. I’d like us to sign a pace option to challenge Joao.

• Like 1

Thought he looked the happiest I’ve seen him for a while on Friday. Back to his cheeky smiling self. Taking people on and making things happen. Maybe just needs the right manager to get the best out of him. 

Guest Arcadianrocket

Getting the best out of FF is simple. 

Show him love, appreciate he is the best player at the club and stop bringing up the past.

14 minutes ago, Arcadianrocket said:

Some of the posters on here are quite hard to understand - Joao played very well last season and nuhiu and yet it still appears most are waiting for them to fail yet other strikers who have been consistently crap for 2 years are being willed on to come good. It's an odd one.

All a matter of opinions. With those 4 strikes you can easily make a case for each. I still maintain Hooper is our best striker, when fit. I also think Fletcher is harshly perceived. He was excellent in the second half of his first season and his partnership with Hooper was excellent. Last season he was dogged by injuries, so it's hard to even consider last season.

There's certainly an argument that Joao and Nuhiu have the shirt to lose on recent form. But I'm not sure you can raise the consistency argument about Fletcher and Hooper, when you're in support of Nuhiu and Joao. Credit them for the last 3-4 months of last season but if we're honest Nuhiu was consistently awful for 4.5 years and Joao, whilst dangerous at times, remains inconsistent from minute to minute, never mind game to game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Arcadianrocket
1 minute ago, bazapeps said:

All a matter of opinions. With those 4 strikes you can easily make a case for each. I still maintain Hooper is our best striker, when fit. I also think Fletcher is harshly perceived. He was excellent in the second half of his first season and his partnership with Hooper was excellent. Last season he was dogged by injuries, so it's hard to even consider last season.

There's certainly an argument that Joao and Nuhiu have the shirt to lose on recent form. But I'm not sure you can raise the consistency argument about Fletcher and Hooper, when you're in support of Nuhiu and Joao. Credit them for the last 3-4 months of last season but if we're honest Nuhiu was consistently awful for 4.5 years and Joao, whilst dangerous at times, remains inconsistent from minute to minute, never mind game to game.

All 4 of those strikers no issues with if they play.

For me Joao and Nuihu proved last season that they want the shirt with goals, for the other in Hooper and Fletcher to get in the team they need to be match fit and scoring goals something that for Fletcher seems a real problem.

If we can get rid, I don't think we will miss him with the improvement of Nuihu we don't need him and we will also save a fortune on the medical expenses we had with him at the club.

35 minutes ago, room0035 said:

For me Joao and Nuihu proved last season that they want the shirt with goals, for the other in Hooper and Fletcher to get in the team they need to be match fit and scoring goals something that for Fletcher seems a real problem.

If we can get rid, I don't think we will miss him with the improvement of Nuihu we don't need him and we will also save a fortune on the medical expenses we had with him at the club.

Spot on.

Hooper has been injured since boxing day.

No way can he be relied on to play a full season. Fletcher will be gone.

56 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Westwood

K. Lee, Lees, Van Aken, Pudil, Reach

Bannan, Hutch

FF

Joao, Nuhiu

If we keep this team fit for 46 games we win league! simples

I'd swap Hutch for Joey and find a decent CB for JVA

Otherwise looks good

I get why people say build a side around FF, I really do.  He's our most gifted player, the one who can turn a game, the one you want on the pitch.  However, I've said this on numerous occasions and I still stand by it.  FF is too unpredictable to build a side around.  I don't think he knows what he's going to do next, let alone his team mates.  I used the example last season against Reading when he scored that worldy from the edge of the box after nearly losing it.  If you freeze the play when he receives the ball and turns toward goal, he has an overload with two runners to his left who are clear, Joao running into the box, plus himself to join.  On this occasion he scores, but if he picks that option 10 times, I reckon he scores once and probably get hit on the break 4-5 times.  If he picks the easy 3 yard pass to his left and joins in the box, I reckon we end up with a shot on goal maybe 7-8 times.  Judge for yourself....pause at 7m 48/49s and see the options. 

Now I'll admit, he attracts 3 defenders which is the very least you'll get from FF.  However, over the course of a season those situations mount up and its the ability to carve chances out that ultimately decides games.  I'm not basing my argument on one piece of footage.  There are many occasions when FF receives the ball, checks, feints, turns, checks out again, drops the shoulder and then plays a pass etc.  If you are Nuhiu, Joao, Hooper, Fletcher or the midfield runner, you are ready to punch him in the face.  As a striker, you might get one opportunity to get the run on your marker and its usually when an attack is happening at pace. 

I'm squarely in the FF playing left of either a front 3, or the left of 3 in a 4-2-3-1 column.  This is where he can pick the ball up, square up defenders, drift in on his right and shoot, cross, play a 1-2, tuck it in for the overlapping full back or whatever else.  As I said above, he attracts defenders, so if his starting position is further out wide that creates lots of space for midfielders and strikers.  He's not even the sort of player you can crowd out because he can go either way and skin a defender. Options, lots of options.  The likes of Brighton, Middlesborough, Wolves, Cardiff even Newcastle weren't the most exciting teams to watch but they just did the basics very very well and their flair players like Knockaert etc made good choices and were played in there most effective positions.

The one aspect of Jos that I really like is that he seems to back himself to coach, not manage players.  Maybe we might see FF make better choices under Jos.  There is no doubt about ability or talent with FF. 

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Agreed. Joao and FF either side of a central striker is the way to go. 4-3-3 will allow us more control in midfield but we will be vulnerable defensively. 3-4-3 will provide us with a solid base defensively but less control in midfield. 

However, I really want us to go with a front 3 as it will get the best out of Joao and FF and we will definitely be a threat going forward. I’d like us to sign a pace option to challenge Joao.

Agree with this. 

433 was excellent for the team and suited FF down to the ground.

442 was successful when FF played wide left. The results bettered any other formation over the past 3 seasons.

However, played as a twin-striker in a 442 or 352 hasnt worked. It’s possible Jos will get something different out of FF in a front two, but I doubt it.