Membership Pricing 2018/19

2 minutes ago, Trawdenowl said:

I feel the same as most on here and even trying to take all of the emotion out of the situation I just cannot see how this makes any business sense whatsoever. Like many on here I will not be renewing mine and my stepsons memberships, that is £100 less income for club against last year ( then multiply that by everyone else who will not be doing the same) . Then due to the fact that I will now have to pay £5 more per game I may end up attending less games, therefore more lost revenue for the club both in ticket fees and money spent on food drink etc.Someone please help me make sense of this decision.

It really is a strange one to me

It's like there's some need to pay off a massive bill or something or avoid FFP but instead of revolutionary exciting new products that fans would definitely want, instead we get a massive price hike on a membership with the chairman seemingly convinced that the discount vouchers for the megastore will be enough to warrant a membership (when you can't use the vouchers on the kit or sale items which in itself beggars belief)

Right headscratcher

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, e6owl said:

Last season there were a fair few matches that members could get tickets to - off the top of my head Fulham, Millwall, Norwich, QPR, Leeds, Reading, Ipswich, Cardiff, Sunderland, Hull - A lot of them either dead rubber games or midweeks but membership at least gave you something.

A lot of these also went to general sale, making membership even more pointless. 

Long distance observer of OT and occasional poster. To put my comments into context, I live abroad and buy a membership annually:

1. So I can get tickets when at short supply

2. To put some money back into the club despite knowing I will only get to 5-10% matches (max)

3. To follow tradition of always having had a season ticket or membership since the age of 5 years old (unbroken and dictated by where I am based  / work commitments etc).

The £90 is obviously ridiculous and I would estimate that < 5% of last seasons members will renew. This cannot be a business decision as the revenue stream will almost die and people will not pay the on gate prices for all but the big matches (where a £5 saving is neither here nor there).

My thoughts on this are that we risk ostracising junior fans and the pipeline of those who may purchase season tickets in future years but could only afford membership iin previous seasons. This is SUCH as short term measure that something else has to be the driver behind the decision....

My theory is that we will see ~XX thousand (lets say 49,000 per wiki for global employees) new members from Thailand who all receive the memberships as part of their work benefits package...all will end in the email address @thaiunionfoods.com and  all will make a bulk payment in the next few weeks to cover the membership fees.  This could then generate £4.4m in revenues overnight solving our FFP issues.

If something like the above isn't happening then I'll have a bit of whatever Chansiri is smoking as £90 is wild, more so than any other move he has made proportionally (Corporate Boxes excluded).

Guest Hillsborough Mole
1 minute ago, Oatesy2001 said:

Long distance observer of OT and occasional poster. To put my comments into context, I live abroad and buy a membership annually:

2. To put some money back into the club despite knowing I will only get to 5-10% matches (max)

3. To follow tradition of always having had a season ticket or membership since the age of 5 years old (unbroken and dictated by where I am based  / work commitments etc).

The £90 is obviously ridiculous and I would estimate that < 5% of last seasons members will renew. This cannot be a business decision as the revenue stream will almost die and people will not pay the on gate prices for all but the big matches (where a £5 saving is neither here nor there).

My thoughts on this are that we risk ostracising junior fans and the pipeline of those who may purchase season tickets in future years but could only afford membership iin previous seasons. This is SUCH as short term measure that something else has to be the driver behind the decision....

My theory is that we will see ~XX thousand (lets say 49,000 per wiki for global employees) new members from Thailand who all receive the memberships as part of their work benefits package...all will end in the email address @thaiunionfoods.com and  all will make a bulk payment in the next few weeks to cover the membership fees.  This could then generate £4.4m in revenues overnight solving our FFP issues.

If something like the above isn't happening then I'll have a bit of whatever Chansiri is smoking as £90 is wild, more so than any other move he has made proportionally (Corporate Boxes excluded).

If that was the case - they'd just do an Overseas Membership at a different price

7 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

If that was the case - they'd just do an Overseas Membership at a different price

Transaction would have to be at arms length to pass through the accounts / audit and FFP guidelines. Not that my suggestion would get through FFP anyway...i have the feeling there is more to this move than meets the eye. All will be reveled in the accounts for this season int he future!

Edited by Oatesy2001
spelling!

£90 an adult and £40 a child...

I don't get the benefit of being a member, though I buy one for me and my 2 year old son as a way of making a contribution - a donation if you like - to our club. I also like having a card for the wee boy so when he grows up he knows he's been an Owls member all his life (in the hope he turns to Wednesday instead of the Glasgow clubs!).

All I'll be doing this year is renewing his and won't bother with mine - I'm not donating £130! So, sadly it'll mean the club gets £40 "membership" this season from me, as where last season it was £75.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Since school I've never been able to get my head around % increases

every time I see it's 80% I think the price has gone down 20% 

lol

Think I am numerically dyslexic

Smashed my maths exam teacher just after Reb’s bird too amazingly

:Chansiri:

Edited by Rebowl Yell
  • Haha 4

Any company raising prices by 80% in one year for basically the same product deserved all it gets.

SWFC are moving into dangerous territory and i fear we could suffer long term with this type of decisions through disengagement with the fan base.

Having said that, it is DC's club and he must have thought this through and clearly wants to price POTG fans out. Membership was a half-way house solution for many fans unwilling or unable to commit to a ST. I expect that membership numbers will half as a result of this initiative.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
3 minutes ago, Animis said:

Any company raising prices by 80% in one year for basically the same product deserved all it gets.

SWFC are moving into dangerous territory and i fear we could suffer long term with this type of decisions through disengagement with the fan base.

Having said that, it is DC's club and he must have thought this through and clearly wants to price POTG fans out. Membership was a half-way house solution for many fans unwilling or unable to commit to a ST. I expect that membership numbers will half as a result of this initiative.

It absolutely ISN'T DC's club, it never will be. The club belongs to every single fan whos ever paid to go through a turnstile - collectively - without whom our club would cease to exist.

Chairmen, managers and players come and go - it is our fans collective that has kept the club afloat for 150 years. And not someone whos throwing good money after bad - then billing the fans for his incompetence.

Makes my f*****g blood boil

19 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

It absolutely ISN'T DC's club, it never will be. The club belongs to every single fan whos ever paid to go through a turnstile - collectively - without whom our club would cease to exist.

Chairmen, managers and players come and go - it is our fans collective that has kept the club afloat for 150 years. And not someone whos throwing good money after bad - then billing the fans for his incompetence.

That's a romantic view - I doubt DC shares your assessment. 

I'd like to say all football's going this way, but it appears our pricing across the board is higher than most PL clubs and all but one Championship club. Not sure what his long game is here as we will lose fans as a result of this.

51 minutes ago, Oatesy2001 said:

That won't be happening. It is what it is. Just another attempt to reinvent the wheel and a misjudgement by the club.

35 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

The 'club' ( in its most basic meaning) may not belong to Chansiri, but unfortunately the business does. The 'club' will always survive, but i do worry for the business if things go on  the way they are.

I'd be surprised if Katriene Miere was in full agreement on this one.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

What’s really annoying me is the club just don’t listen to the fans. 

I might in a lucky enough position to afford a season ticket plus travel down every game (which I have done for the last 3 years) however a change of job this buying a season ticket was rendered pointless as I would miss pretty much all Saturday games unless I put a holiday in at work. 

Plan was to buy a membership and do about 10 games. Now with the membership and ticket prices announced im not going to bother at all. 

The club really don’t care about the fans one bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oatesy2001 said:

I suggested similar to my pal. I can only presume it's a method for him to inject money into the club under the radar, then when UK based numbers are low he can backtrack "after feedback from our much valued fan base...." reduce them to £50.

Any poor sod that has bought one for £90 can have as many Jordan Rhodes subbuteo t shirts as they can carry as recompense.

Edited by supersiggi
  • Haha 1

Fans being asked to pay for DCs mistakes. Disgusting pricing and indefensible. 

The more you look at it, the more bemusing it all gets. No plan in place at all. Throw the dice in the air and see where it lands. 

I also dont believe DC has the money we all wish he had. 

Almost zero invedtment in a creaking ground that is currently restricted capacity. It’s a poor facility still suffering from neglect. There’s no FFP restrictions on investments in this area. 

Despite some training ground developments, we are still way behind our peers in terms of facility. No plans to move us away, 3.5 years after taking over. Again, FFP isn’t an issue here. 

Scandalous commercial activity, bordering on suicidal. 

An aging squad full of players nobody else wants. A ridiculous recruitment policy. 

Enjoy your football. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1