Embargo?

Guest Hillsborough Mole

I don't know how anybody can moan at £23 a game to be completely fair. Although that is the Kop price which is one of the most antiquated stands in football, awful toilets, poor refreshment facilities etc.

But I go for the football - which without a doubt has improved hugely under our Chairman.

13 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Do you understand the concept of a 'rolling 3 years?' 

The football league do. The club has to supply a forecast for the years accounts at the end of March - then actual accounts at the end of May. To the EFL. So they know now (and have done since the end of May) whether we are in breach of FFP - as well as all the other clubs in the Championship

Actual rounduns mate. 

The club was making a margin of 45% on boxes at £25k - and sold over 20 a season. 

Nope - also rounduns

The club were making 45%. 

I respect your opinions on the corporate side, especially the exec boxes - you clearly have experience of this. Do you have any evidence to support your figures? 

This is not me having a dig at you as you usually accuse me of, I would genuinely be interested in where these figures came from, it is so far removed from what DC has stated on this, though again it is difficult to prove that the exec boxes were loss making. If we were making 45% on them and still losing £5M plus a year without any significant input into the playing side then money had to be generated from somewhere. 

I do know someone whose firm used to have a box and he attended the very heated meeting with DC which resulted in people walking out.

1 hour ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I don't know how anybody can moan at £23 a game to be completely fair. Although that is the Kop price which is one of the most antiquated stands in football, awful toilets, poor refreshment facilities etc.

But I go for the football - which without a doubt has improved hugely under our Chairman.

Has any of that improved in recent years? Not been on the Kop since the Irvine era.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Has any of that improved in recent years? Not been on the Kop since the Irvine era.

If anything the refreshments are much worse than they were - still no hot water in the toilets - and the cold water literally trickles out making it pointless to wash your hands.

11 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

If anything the refreshments are much worse than they were - still no hot water in the toilets - and the cold water literally trickles out making it pointless to wash your hands.

Bit disappointing that, those issues aren't really a great financial burden to put right and would improve supporter satisfaction.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Bit disappointing that, those issues aren't really a great financial burden to put right and would improve supporter satisfaction.

Hopefully - given they've now had a summer to sort it - the refresments with the new in-house catering will be much improved this coming season

Guest Hillsborough Mole
30 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I respect your opinions on the corporate side, especially the exec boxes - you clearly have experience of this. Do you have any evidence to support your figures? 

This is not me having a dig at you as you usually accuse me of, I would genuinely be interested in where these figures came from, it is so far removed from what DC has stated on this, though again it is difficult to prove that the exec boxes were loss making. If we were making 45% on them and still losing £5M plus a year without any significant input into the playing side then money had to be generated from somewhere. 

I do know someone whose firm used to have a box and he attended the very heated meeting with DC which resulted in people walking out.

Yes that meeting hastened the departure of some of our long term staff

Yes, I do have evidence

8 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Yes that meeting hastened the departure of some of our long term staff

Yes, I do have evidence

Prior to that meeting I was critical of the exec box holders, I still think there were some that may have been happy to enjoy the corporate days without really worrying about the expense but the price rise quoted at that time was too high and they should have been able to try and meet in the middle and discuss without it turning into a shouting match where clearly nobody came out the winner.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Prior to that meeting I was critical of the exec box holders, I still think there were some that may have been happy to enjoy the corporate days without really worrying about the expense but the price rise quoted at that time was too high and they should have been able to try and meet in the middle and discuss without it turning into a shouting match where clearly nobody came out the winner.

Many of the box holders were infuriated at the Chairman insisting he wanted payment in full for the whole season - he even said "why should I give you credit facilities?"

One of the box holders insisted that by paying in 3 chunks IN ADVANCE of the games - they weren't getting any credit terms at all.

Thats when it all kicked off.

5 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Many of the box holders were infuriated at the Chairman insisting he wanted payment in full for the whole season - he even said "why should I give you credit facilities?"

One of the box holders insisted that by paying in 3 chunks IN ADVANCE of the games - they weren't getting any credit terms at all.

Sounds like bad business sense by Chansiri to me. Soon as you get into an argument with a customer they will take they money elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I don't understand that to be honest. It's not as if immediate cashflow was an issue for us at that time and surely by signing up for a seasonal corporate box they would have been legally obliged to pay the installments anyway so no real risk involved other than the companies going bust?

Guest Hillsborough Mole
2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Sounds like bad business sense by Chansiri to me. Soon as you get into an argument with a customer they will take they money elsewhere.

The thing with most companies is they are Wednesday fans - so elsewhere isnt an option. But for those where they have split loyalties - they'll take their money to Bramall Lane. I know of one company who has done that - and the owner is a Wednesday fan. He doesnt go to the box he has staff to do that while hes usually away watching Wednesday games.

Guest Hillsborough Mole

I know a few former Hillsborough box holders who now have season tickets at Hillsborough who now go to away games with clients - the corporate facilities at Derby for example are light years ahead of ours and Ive been in there 3 times - for much less than it would cost for a single game at Hillsborough

3 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

The thing with most companies is they are Wednesday fans - so elsewhere isnt an option. But for those where they have split loyalties - they'll take their money to Bramall Lane. I know of one company who has done that - and the owner is a Wednesday fan. He doesnt go to the box he has staff to do that while hes usually away watching Wednesday games.

If I was ever in a position to buy a corporate box I don't think I would take my business to a rival football club but would certainly consider other corporate options away from football. I would still attend our games as a season ticket holder but the club would have missed out on a bigger corporate sale and the potential for attracting future revenue through clients that might have then returned themselves. 

Just now, Hillsborough Mole said:

(Apologies - this is moving away from being a discussion over an embargo)

Don't think there's much more to be said on any potential embargo at this stage. The speculation has been discussed with nobody able to offer anything definitive either way so we'd just be going round in circles. Be nice if we could rule it out due to a new signing though!

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Don't think there's much more to be said on any potential embargo at this stage. The speculation has been discussed with nobody able to offer anything definitive either way so we'd just be going round in circles. Be nice if we could rule it out due to a new signing though!

If the club did have an Embargo how on earth would you keep it quiet.

Surely the FA, Football League would have to issue a statement regarding this.

This is not to say we might be close to an embargo soon. My guess is not but you get the impression Sheffield Wednesday is going to have to cut its cloth according next couple of seasons.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

If I was ever in a position to buy a corporate box I don't think I would take my business to a rival football club but would certainly consider other corporate options away from football. I would still attend our games as a season ticket holder but the club would have missed out on a bigger corporate sale and the potential for attracting future revenue through clients that might have then returned themselves. 

Or as Ive said (you were probably typing) - spend it at other grounds watching us

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Although it would be nice I can't see that happening. I don't really think we are under an embargo but believe we are too close to falling foul of FFP to allow any major signing without off loading some more players.

• Like 1