Embargo?

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

The irony as I see it is FFP (P & S) is creating the very problem it is designed to avoid namely clubs taking major financial gambles. With the money to be gained from reaching the Premier League as the incentive, I can see more and more clubs taking the Wolves/Forest/Bournemouth lead and just fecking off the rules. The whole concept of FFP needs an urgent rethink otherwise it will create a far worse mess than it is designed to avoid.

I agree with this, but then the other irony is that the fear of FFP is driving us to get our house in order, trim the squad and bring through youth, and subject to not having another injury crisis will probably result in us having a great chance of promotion this year. 

18 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

Anybody who thinks everything is hunky dory regarding FFP P and S whatever it's called is burying their head in the sand.

You've just come up with a great idea for the Wednesday carpark Andy

incorporating a new bike park !!

There will be loads of bike  parking opportunities there !!

66eedee2a031b1f7cb966a5564cd0b91.jpg

• Haha 9

It’s funny how people think it’s an absolute absurdity that we’d currently be under an embargo.

On the face of it...

We've sold our first choice right back.

Several Key Players only have a year left to run on contracts.

We’ve only moved players out, and seemingly are now teeing up others to leave.

We don’t have sufficient cover in defence, yet passed up the opportunity to sign Venancio.

Local Media seem to feel we’re under one, and are definitely under the impression we aren’t in a position sign players regardless.

It'd be incredibly naive to be surprised if we are in one considering the above, and even more naive to think we’re fine.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NeonLeon said:

It’s funny how people think it’s an absolute absurdity that we’d currently be under an embargo.

On the face of it...

We don’t have sufficient cover in defence, yet passed up the opportunity to sign Venancio.

Local Media seem to feel we’re under one, and are definitely under the impression we aren’t in a position sign players regardless.

It'd be incredibly naive to be surprised if we are in one considering the above, and even more naive to think we’re fine.

It's not absurd.

Please show me in the regulations where an embargo can be placed above and beyond any other sanctions?   

I'd also like to have it explained to me any precedent that has been set on this, and if not why are we the first?

What is absurd is posts like yours which do nothing other than try to make something out of nothing.

Turdface.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

The irony as I see it is FFP (P & S) is creating the very problem it is designed to avoid namely clubs taking major financial gambles. With the money to be gained from reaching the Premier League as the incentive, I can see more and more clubs taking the Wolves/Forest/Bournemouth lead and just fecking off the rules. The whole concept of FFP needs an urgent rethink otherwise it will create a far worse mess than it is designed to avoid.

Totally agree. I posted along these lines recently.. FFP was not thought through properly.. it’s got huge flaws

8 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

On the face of it...

Okey-Dokey... 

I believe some more measured posters have stated clear facts on the situation already.

But don't let them affect hearsay...

:duntmatter:

I read a couple of months ago (can't find the report now) that 3 championship clubs had been contacted regarding possible FFP breach's in the coming season.

All 3 clubs had responded to show how they expected to cut costs in the coming season to negate some losses.

In light of this no penalties had been placed on any of the clubs and it would be reviewed again in December.

No clubs were named in this report.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I read a couple of months ago (can't find the report now) that 3 championship clubs had been contacted regarding possible FFP breach's in the coming season.

All 3 clubs had responded to show how they expected to cut costs in the coming season to negate some losses.

In light of this no penalties had been placed on any of the clubs and it would be reviewed again in December.

No clubs were named in this report.

Tell that to those who wish to cause issues within our fanbase.     i don't know how someone who wishes to destabalise the club can call themselves a fan, but the world is a strange place full of strange people.

• Thanks 1

It wouldn’t matter on here if he did. He can do things Wednesday fans would have railed against in the past - hike prices of tickets and season tickets way above the divisional norm, give us the most expensive shirts in the country, run perhaps the shoddiest commercial division in World Football, wee wee off sponsors and corporate customers, take away the stripes, stick a rimming owl on the back of the Lep, squander cash on an unbalanced lop-sided squad, launch the most ridiculous money making club anyone had have ever heard of. 

It’s a touch Trumpesque - beyond criticism because we almost got promoted, we’ve got a big telly and a pitch like the rest of football. All good things for which he deserves and gets praise. 

But if we did fall foul of FFP it would probably be spun as a good thing - evidence of a noble effort to get promoted and a good chance to “get our house in order”. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Jack the Hat
3 hours ago, modboy said:

Tbf he is a Rotherham fan so probably just winding me up. 

But you started a thread anyway.

1 hour ago, Stokey said:

hes the manager not the owner, ceo or chairman why would it be his place to say owt about it?

some of yous need to chill out.

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Frig me, here we go again another conspiracy theory a bit like the players not playing because they were due bonuses and not injured! 

As as I said in a previous thread we are very close to FFP, biut have not broken it. There are 6 other clubs in this state the biggest of which is Villa. Mandaric will have to pay the taxman before he’s allowed to buy the club think Glasgow Rangers.

There will be more outgoings both because we need to trim the squad and the wage bill, but talk of an embargo is pure click bait from Radio Sheffield

I'm calm, I'm chilled. What's your problem?

Who's place is it to say there is no embargo if there isn't one? Anyone at the club would be 'authorised' to say there isn't one (assuming they could reasonably expect to be in the know about such things - as JL would), I would've thought, because they'd be merely be setting the record straight. To confirm there is one, if there is, would however be something JL would want to avoid having to talk about if it's not already been confirmed officially by the club.

This logic is pretty straight forward and reasonable in my view. Of course, it's only reasoning, and JL may merely have been concerned with wanting to communicate how his focus is on the players he has available to him anyway, and not any off-the-field issues, whatever they may be and whether they exist, which is a positive message and consistent with how JL has generally gone about his job thus far - but I do still think in that case that it would be more sensible for him to 'go off message' on this occasion and set the record straight - then neither our more highly-strung fans react to the rumour of an embargo, nor other equally highly-strung fans react to those fans reacting.

I'm not sure how much this 'fact' should add to our fans' outlook for the summer anyway. It's clear we need to move players out - every one of us knows this. I hadn't expected any signings anyway, and I'm at ease with this. I think we could do with some strengthening in various positions depending on how JL wants to set us up this season, but I don't think it's absolutely crucial at this stage. I'm also very enthusiastic about JL giving the youth players a chance to shine.

I don't expect a spectacular season, but I do expect a solid season - and for the most part fuelled by the much greater emphasis on fitness. I think if we're in and around the top six come January (and, really, why not?!), we might see DC 'roll the dice', but otherwise I think the real changes we'll see will be a year from now which is when we'll have 11 of the current first team squad out of contract. Though I hope a few of them will be offered new contracts, the majority of them will be moved then if not before.

3 hours ago, cowl said:

I'd have expected him to say we aren't under an embargo if we aren't though.

Otherwise it just fuels precisely this type of speculation.

Do you also want us to come out with statements regarding how we won't be signing Messi, Mbappe and Griezeman too just to clear up any speculation?

• Haha 3

Just not bothered...

1 minute ago, mattitheowl said:

Do you also want us to come out with statements regarding how we won't be signing Messi, Mbappe and Griezeman too just to clear up any speculation?

Statement? What are you talking about statements for? Do you know the difference between answering a question posed to you in an interview and releasing a statement?

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Even if we aren’t under one officially,

we have to get our house in order so it’s pretty much the same thing 

And I think the vast majority of our fans understand this.