The Westwood problem

Kieran Westwood is for me the best goalie we've had in my lifetime, I go back to the  chris woods days to the present .But if we keep holding these youngsters back them what's the point in this academy .Is wildsmith better than Westwood right now ?probably not,  but he's a talented keeper who needs a chance . Not the biggest issue  in the world but I was bored and fancied a chat 

5 minutes ago, Beholder said:

If Westwood is staying he should compete with Dawson for first team spot with Wildsmith going out on loan. 

This IMO is what should happen. Wildsmith to League 1 for experience, at one of the bigger clubs if possible, Bradford or Barnsley maybe

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beholder said:

If Westwood is staying he should compete with Dawson for first team spot with Wildsmith going out on loan. 

I agree. For me Wildsmith, while talented, makes too many errors. I'd like to see him play a 46-game season ideally at League One level and see if he can produce consistent good form and cut out the mistakes. Plus I suspect Dawson would be happier sat on the bench here than Wildsmith would.

Perhaps more importantly I still think Westwood is the best keeper we have right now and we need our best players if we're to mount any kind of challenge.

It's a problem with the keeper position you don't get elsewhere in a team because there's other ways you can shoehorn an outfield player into a side, or also there's more than one such position (centre back, centre midfield, striker) in a team such that it's never obvious that a player is standing in the way of another.

If we've got any expectations of finishing top 6 this season, I think we should be going with Westwood because he'll gain us points.

Beyond this I personally think Dawson looks a better prospect than Wildsmith, although I'd argue that perhaps both would benefit greatly from a season as first choice at a League One side. For their development that would be ideal, but according to JL last night, he doesn't envisage loaning any of his keepers out.

Barnsley need a good keeper tbf as Davies isn’t much good, a season long loan for Joe or canmie with recall option should it be needed, I would say wildsmith on loan personally as Dawson just has that presence about him but both top top keepers going forwards 

12 minutes ago, ka58 said:

We need to Sell Westwood for a reasonable fee ASAP.

for me, as of last season's form i wouldn't want to go into a promotion push without westwood, dawson needs time, he will be an adequate replacement, and perhaps even before the season is over become first choice, but to lose westwood now (for me) would be an admission of 'lack of intent' and at that point open to discuss the sale of FF. bannan, hooper etc.

Westwood is our best keeper and unless we need to sell for FFP reasons he'd be my number 1, loan Wildsmith out for a season and Dawson becomes no 2. Personally feel Dawson is better than Wildsmith at the moment so the loan move for Wildsmith would be a good one for him.

• Thanks 1

If you remember Chris Woods, you already have a problem.   Westwood is not the best keeper you have ever seen.

Add to that Pressman, Srnicek and Grant

Give it a couple of seasons you'll add Dawson or Wildsmith to that list too, but probably not both of them.

3 minutes ago, HubristicClapper said:

If you remember Chris Woods, you already have a problem.   Westwood is not the best keeper you have ever seen.

Add to that Pressman, Srnicek and Grant

Give it a couple of seasons you'll add Dawson or Wildsmith to that list too, but probably not both of them.

Srnicek???

You've got to be kidding!

Let Westwood move on if we get a £1.5M plus offer and go with the youngsters to fight for the place in the team. Westwood is by far the best out of the Three but it would be an easy call to make as the Two excellent youngsters are only going to get better and Westwoods value will only decrease as his contract runs down.

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

I get the impression Jos favours Dawson (slightly) and although he didn't suggest directly in his interview, would be a backward step to keep three GK's on the books without regular football. It is an important stage in their development and Wildsmith/Dawson need to be playing games.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Westwood leave though if an offer comes in.

It would be quite easy to sell Westwood, there would surely be lots of teams ready to sign him. It could be quite tempting for the club to do so because we have two good replacements, although not finished articles yet. We did quite well in the keeper department last season despite Westwood not playing much.

I would keep Westwood. The defence looks much better when he plays. Wildsmith is a good shot stopper but prone to make mistakes. I think Dawson is the better goalkeeper out of the two. I’d send JW out on loan and keep Dawson for the bench. Nice to have three good keepers, eh

2 hours ago, Craig enock said:

Kieran Westwood is for me the best goalie we've had in my lifetime, I go back to the  chris woods days to the present .But if we keep holding these youngsters back them what's the point in this academy .Is wildsmith better than Westwood right now ?probably not,  but he's a talented keeper who needs a chance . Not the biggest issue  in the world but I was bored and fancied a chat 

Three into two dosnt go, so someone will leave in my opinion. Do we go down the route of letting one of the youngsters go out on loan ,or will that pesh them off after playing first team football in the championship last season ? 

Or do we flog Westwood and make some money ,and remove another big earner from the wage bill knowing we have two of the best young keepers in the country to fight for the jersey ? 

Difficult one ,as you cannot buy experience ,which Westwood has, but one the other hand , do we want to see one of the young lads ask for a transfer because they know they wont get first team football if westwood stays . 

Difficult one to call. 

• Like 1