Back from Lincoln

Positives:

Forestieri's goal

Hutch played 2 very Bannanesque sublime passes in first half - put players clean through  (couldn't finish)

Boyd played well (2nd half) - looks fit

First five minutes of 2nd half we looked like Barcelona with Fessi and Bazza on

Jordan Lonchar looks a player - as small as Bannan though

Liam Palmer (dare I say it) played well 

Pudil still looks hungry in defence 

Kit looked good - even though we looked like Everton from the back

Hard to tell much from this run out - 2 different teams in each half. Mixture of first teamers and under 23s. 

Lincoln did cause us problems and our free kicks and corners were terrible. 

Work in progress - they look fit though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Didn't think Lonchar was on the pitch. Was very impressed with Alex Hunt. Never gave ball away. FF, BB and Hutch also. Nielson, Jack Lee and Van Aken all were good in a 3 man Defence. With Pudil and Lees we might just be OK in the CB area. Surprised not to see Fletch, Abdi and Hooper. Thought they might have figured after hearing about how hard they are working on fitness. No Wildsmith or Lee either. 

12 minutes ago, Semedo's ferret said:

Didn't think Lonchar was on the pitch. Was very impressed with Alex Hunt. Never gave ball away. FF, BB and Hutch also. Nielson, Jack Lee and Van Aken all were good in a 3 man Defence. With Pudil and Lees we might just be OK in the CB area. Surprised not to see Fletch, Abdi and Hooper. Thought they might have figured after hearing about how hard they are working on fitness. No Wildsmith or Lee either. 

Hooper not in full training yet,  Fletch and Lee training but not ready yet 

17 minutes ago, Semedo's ferret said:

Jos has said today that Lee, Fletcher and particularly Hooper will be struggling to be fit for start of season. 

Thought Palmer and Preston really caused them trouble with their interplay. Palmer did some very direct dribbling at times and was determined to go past people. Often cut inside to cross from within the box and they struggled to deal with him when he did that. Preston was very direct and was looking to take the ball on, meeting it rather than waiting for it to reach him and that was a very effective effective with the sorts of balls Bannan was playing to them. Bannan was doing what some would call a quarterback roll, splaying balls to them from distance. Both Palmer and Preston really attacked those passes and looked to meet them in full flight which is a very effective of dealing with such passes. Passes over distance can make play a little pedestrian if you just wait for them to come to you but the way they attacked them was very effective. Bannan is very good at picking out such long passes and if it indeed out tactic to attack them at a high tempo, I can see it working very well.

Was also impressed with Boyd, even if he was in a position that surprised me and his overlaps with Forestieri looked effective at times. If Boyd can adapt to that wing back roll full time, we might be on to something with him and Fessi.

• Thanks 3

Pudil continues to look like a natural centre half. My only concern is how he, Van Aken and Lees can work together. Today's formation suggests Van Aken will be the left centre half if he and Pudil are both in the team with Pudil in the centre. That would push Lees to right centre half. I'd argue that that moves both Pudil and Lees away from their most effective position in the three so playing all three together might not be the most effective plan going forward.

We've essentially lost two centre half off the books in Loovens and Venacio so hopefully we have the funds to bring at least one in.

You could also say that we have lost two from the midfield in Wallace and Butterfield (smirk) but with Bannan, Pessy, Hutch, Reach, hopefully Lee and perhaps even Preston I'm not sure we need to refill those positions as much.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Lincowl said:

Agree that Boyd looked fit and athletic, hopefully will have a better season.

After hearing so much about Boyd's fitness before last season, I'd be lying if I said I was anything other than gobsmacked to see a guy that for the most part ran like an old woman that had shat herself, and, in any case, had the fitness of that same old woman that was prone to sh*tting herself.

That he'd started 33 times for a Premier League team in the season prior to signing for us didn't seem even remotely believable.

• Haha 1

First half Lees, Jack Lee and Thorniley at back

Baker and Fox wing backs

Reach, Hutch and Alex Hunt midfield 

Matias and Joao up front

Second half Pudil, Nielsen and Van Aken at back

Palmer and Boyd wing backs 

Bannan, Preston and Pelupessy midfield 

Forestieri and Nuhiu up front

• Thanks 1