Sean Clare

52 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

As I understand it he was playing for the club when he received his injury therefore they are responsible for his treatment and also pay his basic salary for 18 months.

I don't know any different so have to believe you but having to pay his salary for 18 months even though he refuses to sign a contract to play for us don't seem right …...be a bit of bugger if fletcher breaks down just before the end of his .

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I don't know any different so have to believe you but having to pay his salary for 18 months even though he refuses to sign a contract to play for us don't seem right …...be a bit of bugger if fletcher breaks down just before the end of his .

I agree I don't think the salary bit is right, but from what I understand this is how it's done in the premiership so I assume we do the same.

I hope I'm wrong and we just pay for his medical treatment.

28 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I agree I don't think the salary bit is right, but from what I understand this is how it's done in the premiership so I assume we do the same.

I hope I'm wrong and we just pay for his medical treatment.

Are they not just gestures of good will for long serving players though carrying major injuries. And surely anything like that would all be done through insurance anyway.

One thing I am pretty certain of though is if Clare decided to leave tomorrow. We won't be paying his wages for the next 18 months.

59 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Are they not just gestures of good will for long serving players though carrying major injuries. And surely anything like that would all be done through insurance anyway.

One thing I am pretty certain of though is if Clare decided to leave tomorrow. We won't be paying his wages for the next 18 months.

Players are paid by their club whilst injured but usually the club can claim the money, or part of it back through their own insurance.

If Clare decided to leave then the club are no longer liable for his wages.

Simon Barker of the PFA (and ex-Blackburn and QPR player) was a guest at a recent AST meeting talking about the work the PFA do representing players, and this subject came up. And the answer is that all professional players in England are entitled to 18 months pay when out injured before there is a chance that it will be cut – which a massive 5 per cent of voters knew or guessed. After that clubs can theoretically cut pay by half until the player is available for selection again, but clearly if a player has been out 18 months there will be questions about whether he is likely to return at all and the club will be looking at that. If he’s back in training or on the brink of fitness then I think they’re most unlikely to try and impose a cut; if he’s still not walking then they’ll be thinking about cancelling the contract, claiming the insurance and sending the player into retirement. Obviously every case is individual with many factors involved, but actual pay cuts due to injury are pretty rare.

Edited by Hookowl
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, joelswfc said:

Sorry to go over old topics, but what’s going on with this lad? I presume his contract expired at the end of June, so why has there been no news? I’m fully aware I may have missed something so apologies if that’s the case!

Leeds, hearts and Aston Villa all interested 

Guest Arcadianrocket
On 12/07/2018 at 23:52, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Like you and your Jordan Rhodes posts 

who?

2 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

I think the club will take a similar stance to Hirst Jnr on this one - the doors remains open if he wants to sign, but if not then so be it. 

He’s left for a Belgium club based in Leicester hasn’t he?