That survey

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

Not at all, investments are id have thought plain and simple, just because you’ve had your money in one for 1year, 2years or 30 years they are still investments. 

Yeah but you talk about a few houses, bonds and shares like it's something every Owls fan who read that survey does. Not as straight forward and means DC doesn't know his fan base.

21 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

So, it looks very highly unlikely we'll be spending any money this transfer window. We are on the brink of FFP and have sold our best right back and most expensive player in an attempt to balance the books. Winnall looks likely to be next out. 

For me, that's all good business. Hopefully they won't come back to haunt us (although you just know Rhodes will turn into a goal scoring machine again at Norwich, you just know).

My gripe is the survey which was distributed to fans earlier this year which asked the question which went something along the lines of-

'Do you want ticket prices to stay high to keep us investing heavily into the playing squad in order to reach the Premier League'

The majority voted in favour of that question. 

That seems to be a straight lie from the club. I don't mean to be negative when we really need to get behind the players, but for me that question was out of order at the time. And it's even worse now because the promise has not been kept. 

It seems to me it was a veiled intimidation tactic to keep prices high when the intention was to never invest in the squad. Because the club knew that we are in a financially tricky way. 

The club has done a lot of good since sacking Carlos, but this shouldn't just be brushed under the carpet. After all, Chansiri calls us a family and that was a complete breach of honesty and trust in my opinion.

"Something along the lines of" doesn't cut it. It's advisable to quote the reference if you intend to call the club out on this...

Owls survey.png

• Thanks 1

Let's wait until the window closes shall we.  For all we know we might be saying screw FFP and about to spend a fortune.  I doubt that's going to happen, but judgement can only be made once we know what has happened during the entirety of the transfer window.

• Like 1

At the start of this transfer window, if reports are to be believed, the club were right at the limits of what's allowed under FFP rules. Given this context, to keep all our existing players and continue to add to new signings would in all likelihood have invited catastrophe on the club.

In order to maintain our previous levels of investment, we needed to shift some players on in order to allow us to bring some in. None of Loovens, Wallace, Hunt or Rhodes could be considered key players for us over the past six months, and I'd much rather lose them than the likes of Bannan, Lees, Hooper or Forestieri, all of whom are still on our books.

We've now got the opportunity to reinvest some of the money we've freed up (within FFP regulations) in order to reshape our squad as Luhukay sees fit.

If Chansiri were cutting his investment and looking to recoup some of his cash, I could understand the grumbles, but he's not. Assuming we make a couple of signings before the end of the transfer window, then he's continuing to invest right up to the very limits of what's allowed.

I'm not sure what more we could realistically expect?

1 minute ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Yeah but you talk about a few houses, bonds and shares like it's something every Owls fan who read that survey does. Not as straight forward and means DC doesn't know his fan base.

I used the word few as to show you could sell some without all. 

I think most people realise that an investment lives for life of when you have cash INVESTED in it. It doesn’t become a retention as you put it. 

2 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

If you've not read the survey.  How do you know how it was presented?  

Because of what the OP said. I don't read EVERY post of EVERY thread, still doesn't stop me being able to post a comment, surely? I'm not being funny, just my interpretation of investment in a football team is different to yours, doesn't make it right or wrong or you right or wrong - that's why they are opinions. I'm sure some supporters will agree with me and some with you. That in itself probably suggests the survey was a little grey on investment.

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

I used the word few as to show you could sell some without all. 

I think most people realise that an investment lives for life of when you have cash INVESTED in it. It doesn’t become a retention as you put it. 

I think in a football club sense and from an everybody day fan perspective investment in a football club means bringing in players or improve the infrastructure. Most fans will probably agree?!

Just now, Junk Smuggler said:

I think in a football club sense and from an everybody day fan perspective investment in a football club means bringing in players or improve the infrastructure. Most fans will probably agree?!

Maybe I may not most fans then. I can’t see that the biggest outlay of a club like most businesses I see salary. I suppose he could do a Bolton, stop paying wages, sign a player... keep you happy? 

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Maybe I may not most fans then. I can’t see that the biggest outlay of a club like most businesses I see salary. I suppose he could do a Bolton, stop paying wages, sign a player... keep you happy? 

I think you didn't read my post earlier. I said I'm happy with the way the club are going and am also happy if we don't sign anyone permanently. My only query was the interpretation of the word investment and how a number of fans would see that. Clearly the OP thought the same or he wouldn't have opened the thread!

Im done with this now, it's all about opinions and ours differ. No right or wrong answer, it's just interpretation.

6 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

I think you didn't read my post earlier. I said I'm happy with the way the club are going and am also happy if we don't sign anyone permanently. My only query was the interpretation of the word investment and how a number of fans would see that. Clearly the OP thought the same or he wouldn't have opened the thread!

Im done with this now, it's all about opinions and ours differ. No right or wrong answer, it's just interpretation.

Fair play, let’s agree to disagree. Just trying to highlight that an investment is more than just the transfer fee. Ronaldo will cost Juve a lot more than £100m as his wages, bonus, sign on fee.... well you get the idea, I hope. 

49 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

So, it looks very highly unlikely we'll be spending any money this transfer window. We are on the brink of FFP and have sold our best right back and most expensive player in an attempt to balance the books. Winnall looks likely to be next out. 

For me, that's all good business. Hopefully they won't come back to haunt us (although you just know Rhodes will turn into a goal scoring machine again at Norwich, you just know).

My gripe is the survey which was distributed to fans earlier this year which asked the question which went something along the lines of-

'Do you want ticket prices to stay high to keep us investing heavily into the playing squad in order to reach the Premier League'

That seems to be a straight lie from the club. I don't mean to be negative when we really need to get behind the players, but for me that question was out of order at the time. And it's even worse now because the promise has not been kept. 

It seems to me it was a veiled intimidation tactic to keep prices high when the intention was to never invest in the squad. Because the club knew that we are in a financially tricky way. 

The club has done a lot of good since sacking Carlos, but this shouldn't just be brushed under the carpet. After all, Chansiri calls us a family and that was a complete breach of honesty and trust in my opinion.

The alternative option was to lower ticket price and be forced to offload players and yet we are doing that anyway.

I have to say I agree with your assessment but think we need to let the next month play out before we can conclude we were lied to.

Just now, Junk Smuggler said:

Well we've sold our first choice right back and let our record signing leave on loan. I suppose you could quite easily argue that we are now implementing the first stages of going down the road of the first option on the survey but without the cheaper tickets. I think we will have to give it a bit of time to see which direction we are going in.

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Fair play, let’s agree to disagree. Just trying to highlight that an investment is more than just the transfer fee. Ronaldo will cost Juve a lot more than £100m as his wages, bonus, sign on fee.... well you get the idea, I hope. 

Yes but Ronaldo will also generate an awful lot of merchandising income, an awful lot. It's partly relative in that respect and one of the reasons they're prepared to spend that much on a player over 30. 

Dont get me wrong, I haven't criticised our club. You're well a

schooled in investment clearly but is the man on the street? The ones being asked to pay the most in the league. It's that part I'm questioning. Nothing sinister just I imagine most people who answered the survey expected that if they were being asked to shell out money they believed this meant signings.

I'm not stupid and am happy with a quiet Summer and if it leads to a mediocre season again I'm happy with that too as it gets us a year closer to getting big earners off our books and into another 3 year FFP cycle.

26 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

"Something along the lines of" doesn't cut it. It's advisable to quote the reference if you intend to call the club out on this...

Owls survey.png

Thank you for quoting the survey as it makes it much clearer.

If we finished the transfer window with the squad we have now then the promise to build on current level of investments would not have been reached, given that our wage bill would have been noticeably reduced.

But there is a month to go yet and most likely the money saved on Rhodes, Hunt, Wallace, Loovens erg will be reinvested.

If that doesn't happen though then the point is valid.

8 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

The alternative option was to lower ticket price and be forced to offload players and yet we are doing that anyway.

I have to say I agree with your assessment but think we need to let the next month play out before we can conclude we were lied to.

We've not sold 'key senior players' though, have we? Only Hunt could be argued to fit into this category, but if we want to progress, then he really shouldn't be a key player going forward.

And assuming we make a couple of signings, then I doubt we'll have reduced the level of investment by anything other than what was necessary to fall in line with FFP regulations.

Edit: Just seen the above post in which you say most of this.

:duntmatter:

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I really don't understand why fans think everything they are told by Mr Chansiri is the truth .

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Thank you for quoting the survey as it makes it much clearer.

If we finished the transfer window with the squad we have now then the promise to build on current level of investments would not have been reached, given that our wage bill would have been noticeably reduced.

But there is a month to go yet and most likely the money saved on Rhodes, Hunt, Wallace, Loovens erg will be reinvested.

If that doesn't happen though then the point is valid.

The point isn't valid as there is no promise of investing heavily, the words were chosen very carefully.

"Build on current level of investments" doesn't mean the building will be investment based...

Guest Ash76
14 minutes ago, Walt said:

Well we've sold our first choice right back and let our record signing leave on loan. I suppose you could quite easily argue that we are now implementing the first stages of going down the road of the first option on the survey but without the cheaper tickets. I think we will have to give it a bit of time to see which direction we are going in.

Not sold one single key player 

When we sell our best players and by that I mean our best players.Not players that people moan aren't fit enough to wear the shirt every other week, then we can start asking questions. Until then let's just see what happens.

How do we know we ain't going to spend some money on a decent player.

We don't. Remember when we had no money then we found 10 million for Rhodes.

My point is nobody knows what chansiri's plan is, but I can be as sure as I can be that it ain't to flog off all our best assests. 

What happens if we manage to sell off Jones, Fox, Winnall next week. what more lies from the chairmen as all our players are being sold off.

Cuts had to be made. We all knew that. And selling your record signing means nothing when he is 5 choice.

Considering our predictiment with FFP if Forestieri and Bannan are still our players come the end of the transfer window then that's job done by chansiri in my opinion.

JOB DONE!!