That survey

So, it looks very highly unlikely we'll be spending any money this transfer window. We are on the brink of FFP and have sold our best right back and most expensive player in an attempt to balance the books. Winnall looks likely to be next out. 

For me, that's all good business. Hopefully they won't come back to haunt us (although you just know Rhodes will turn into a goal scoring machine again at Norwich, you just know).

My gripe is the survey which was distributed to fans earlier this year which asked the question which went something along the lines of-

'Do you want ticket prices to stay high to keep us investing heavily into the playing squad in order to reach the Premier League'

The majority voted in favour of that question. 

That seems to be a straight lie from the club. I don't mean to be negative when we really need to get behind the players, but for me that question was out of order at the time. And it's even worse now because the promise has not been kept. 

It seems to me it was a veiled intimidation tactic to keep prices high when the intention was to never invest in the squad. Because the club knew that we are in a financially tricky way. 

The club has done a lot of good since sacking Carlos, but this shouldn't just be brushed under the carpet. After all, Chansiri calls us a family and that was a complete breach of honesty and trust in my opinion.

But is it? Investing as heavily as they can, they can make a loss of 39m over 3 seasons, if we lose any more we are up shittcreek. 

As far as I can see he’s not looking to spend any less than the max allowed, just not spend more than that. 

If he turns a profit this year, then I can understand the gripe, but losing upto 9m of his money and us moaning seems a tad ungrateful. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

So, it looks very highly unlikely we'll be spending any money this transfer window. We are on the brink of FFP and have sold our best right back and most expensive player in an attempt to balance the books. Winnall looks likely to be next out. 

For me, that's all good business. Hopefully they won't come back to haunt us (although you just know Rhodes will turn into a goal scoring machine again at Norwich, you just know).

My gripe is the survey which was distributed to fans earlier this year which asked the question which went something along the lines of-

'Do you want ticket prices to stay high to keep us investing heavily into the playing squad in order to reach the Premier League'

The majority voted in favour of that question. 

That seems to be a straight lie from the club. I don't mean to be negative when we really need to get behind the players, but for me that question was out of order at the time. And it's even worse now because the promise has not been kept. 

It seems to me it was a veiled intimidation tactic to keep prices high when the intention was to never invest in the squad. Because the club knew that we are in a financially tricky way. 

The club has done a lot of good since sacking Carlos, but this shouldn't just be brushed under the carpet. After all, Chansiri calls us a family and that was a complete breach of honesty and trust in my opinion.

If we retain the rest of the squad.  It could reasonably be argued that we are investing heavily.  That is how I interpreted the question at the time. 

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

If we retain the rest of the squad.  It could reasonably be argued that we are investing heavily.  That is how I interpreted the question at the time. 

You’d think making as big a loss as allowed to be considered giving it a good go. Nope, some want more! 

4 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

But is it? Investing as heavily as they can, they can make a loss of 39m over 3 seasons, if we lose any more we are up shittcreek. 

As far as I can see he’s not looking to spend any less than the max allowed, just not spend more than that. 

If he turns a profit this year, then I can understand the gripe, but losing upto 9m of his money and us moaning seems a tad ungrateful. 

Why couldn't the chairman be clear and transparent with us then?

Most people at the time believed this still meant we'd be investing in the playing squad. I saw that as making new additions. For me we are still very short in a few areas for a promotion push. If promotion is the aim, we've not invested adequately to get there since January 2017 for me. 

If you tighten it up for 1 or 2 seasons then we can start to spend again as the FFP loss is rolling. Chansiri has always stated he will be here long term. He'll invest again but doesn't want to risk breaking the rules. 

How many clubs have spent spent spent without selling anyway. Even Wolves had raised millions before they had their spree. Forest the same before this season. 

2 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Not sure it can to be fair, that's retention not investment.

Personally I think a successful window is to get one or two high earners off the books, a fit squad that's raring to go and two or three loans in.

In answer to the OP survey was a bit of a weird thing to do, especially if you then go against the results. The window hasn't shut yet so plenty of time fir things to change.

Have you ever thought we’re selling players that aren’t part of Jos’s plans?

Do you want the club to keep these players anyway just because people have paid an extra few quid for a season ticket? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Junk Smuggler said:

Personally I think a successful window is to get one or two high earners off the books, a fit squad that's raring to go and two or three loans in.

In answer to the OP survey was a bit of a weird thing to do, especially if you then go against the results. The window hasn't shut yet so plenty of time fir things to change.

Go back and read the survey again.

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Why couldn't the chairman be clear and transparent with us then?

Most people at the time believed this still meant we'd be investing in the playing squad. I saw that as making new additions. For me we are still very short in a few areas for a promotion push. If promotion is the aim, we've not invested adequately to get there since January 2017 for me. 

We’ve spent as much as we are allowed to. Not allowed to spend anymore, have to reduce costs to reinvest. 

Is he asset stripping at moment or trying to keep us out of an embargo? 

I could see your point if we didnt currently have lets say 7 forwards capable of playing mid table championship football or higher. But we do, the investment is huge and ongoing. 

2 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

If you bought a few houses, bonds, shares and didn’t sell all of them, would you still have an investment or would you call it a retention? Do banks ask you for list of retention’s when assessing your assets or your retentions? 

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

We’ve spent as much as we are allowed to. Not allowed to spend anymore, have to reduce costs to reinvest. 

Is he asset stripping at moment or trying to keep us out of an embargo? 

I could see your point if we didnt currently have lets say 7 forwards capable of playing mid table championship football or higher. But we do, the investment is huge and ongoing. 

None so blind.....

Just now, Sham67 said:

Go back and read the survey again.

Never read it in the first place, things like that don't interest me. I thought it was a weird thing to do. My point is still the same though in that retention and investment are two completely different things.

I'm actually quite happy in the direction the club are going. I like the manager, the work ethic and the balance of the squad although a couple of decent loans would be nice as it's a long season.

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

None so blind.....

You can argue the investments bad? Poorly spent, that’s a debate. But as we seen today even players many on here say are worthless other teams are willing to spend money on. 

But to say investment has ceased when the clib/chairman lost 20m last season strikes me as a tad bit ungrateful. 

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

If you bought a few houses, bonds, shares and didn’t sell all of them, would you still have an investment or would you call it a retention? Do banks ask you for list of retention’s when assessing your assets or your retentions? 

So you think that's how it was presented to us by DC? Very misleading to the man on the street and every day football fan.

Just now, Junk Smuggler said:

So you think that's how it was presented to us by DC? Very misleading to the man on the street and every day football fan.

Not at all, investments are id have thought plain and simple, just because you’ve had your money in one for 1year, 2years or 30 years they are still investments. 

1 minute ago, Junk Smuggler said:

If you've not read the survey.  How do you know how it was presented?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1