Why the negativity

There was talk of Bristol City being the Man City of the Championship League. What I want is for SWFC to be the team that other clubs look up to, preferably 23 of them, we can live without being compared with the best team in the land, let us aspire to support the best team in the league that it plays in, this could be classed as negativity by some or hopeful reality to others.

Edited by optimisticowl

1 hour ago, Watto said:

Cause it's basically the same squad that started last season , minus Wallace,loovens,Hunt and probably Rhodes ,only addition is van aken and Joey.

We need more pace out wide and like you say a commanding centre half.

The players you mention that were missing at the end of last season Hooper, Lee, Westwood , Fletcher,Hutch and Abdi have all been injury prone in the last couple of seasons , so not likely to have a full season between them.

The concern for me is we have an over bloated squad , some that are shirt fillers and some that are crocks, we need players that can be relied on for a 46 game championship season and one's that are good enough aswell

We know we have but we are looking to get them out. It’s not as easy as we’d like tho. As you say over bloated crocks on big money who’s gonna take them. I think a few more will leave and if we make a couple of good acquisitions then it’s a good pre season. We’re not gonna get all what we need but we might get one or two. 

Who knows Pessy may be a demon at RWB. I think Thornley will be the main stay of our defence this year.  

Westwood Fletcher Abdi Jones Fox Winnall if a couple of them can be moved out it’s been a decent pre season 

• Like 1

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Would love it if we could trim the squad to 20 exprienced pro's - topped up with academy graduates when and where necessary

Definitely happier to see players leave than arrive just now.

Not particularly negative, but not especially positive either. I don't mind the business we have done this summer moving players on, like to be optimistic but don't see us getting more than 15-20 games out of Hooper, Lee, Matias or Fletcher, Abdi is a write off, no in-comings on the horizon to address the glaring deficiencies in our squad and difficult to justify spending £40+ on a ticket to watch mid table Championship football.

Oh, it turns out I was a bit negative after all, sorry :duntmatter:

Many Wednesdayites are unhappy that we are not prominent in the tranfer market and would love us to be spending Millions on new players. A lot of these same posters are grmbling at the purchase prce and wages paid to Rhodes., yet fail to understand that is today;s 'going rate', and that any new purchases would be costing and cmmanding smilar, if not higher fees.

Jos has obviously had time to ook at a side that for two seasons finished in the play-offs. Last year saw us suffer an extraordinary spate of injuries. A lot of these payers are returning to fitness, and can be regarded almost as new signings, along with the 8 that Jos has included from a highly successful junior squad. When you have potential talent among your younger players, why spend ridiculous money on so-called proven players?

To me the future lies in these hands, and so I look forward with pleasure. Just look at the progress made by Southall with the England squad. He took over a bunch of high profile failures and was not afraid to get rid of  big 'names', and put together a side of almost unknowns, and make them into a team. He may not bring home the World Cup, but by hell, has he given English football a fillip. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

To be fair that's quite a negative way of looking at it.

I guarantee you now Calamity Carlos has gone, we wont have the same injury issues we had last season.

If we do, I'll rub Hendersons into Neils shiny head with my man boobs live on Owlstalk.

Injuries or not , weve still got no pace in the squad!

I mentioned recently that I think one or two of the "crocks" might not be so crocked this year.  A combination of new manager, coming to the end of contracts, substantial pre-season, better man management, competition for places and pressure from youngsters also coming through.  I could well be wrong but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if by May we are saying that there were significant contributions from Abdi, Matias, Fletcher, Jones or Boyd.  If Lee, Hutchinson and Hooper stay fit then I fully expect a contribution from them, but I have a feeling someone is going to prove their worth.  My money would be Fletcher or Boyd, but if Abdi and Matias stay fit and find form then at the very least they will push those already in the team to keep their spot and provide an option from the bench.

• Like 1

The world cup has put the goings on at Hillsborough in the shade. 

And any positive news has been balanced out with negative stuff so the waters have been pretty calm.

New kit looks great - Hooray!!

Costs a fortune to buy  - Boooo!!

Owls in the park was great - Hooray!!

We are not signing anyone - Boooo!!!

England are in the semi's - Hooray!!!!

Nowt to be negative about. I’m excited for a decent mid table finish. We finally have a manager with a brain and chansiri seems to have finally learned how to run a football club properly. 

Also England are gonna win the World Cup ( is it cool to get excited about that yet ) 

5 hours ago, swfctc1 said:

we have everything we need in our squad to be challenging

Who plays left wingback? Presumably Reach, even tho he'd bad defensively.
We don't really have one, let alone a backup should Reach get a knock.

We also lack depth in central midfield. With Lee possibly playing right, Hutch supporting the back line, Jones past it and Abdi never likely to show his face again. If Lee stays in the middle to compete with Bannan for a start, then we need anew right back, to play ahead of Palmer.

So we're at least 3 signings (cb, lwb, rwb/cm) away from having all the things we need.