Why the negativity

About the negativity, I can't say I've seen much either. Less than what I would've expected actually.

It's the close-season though, after all, and we did end last season in a good way so you can see where the quiet optimism comes from.

Even the belt-tightening seems not to have cast the gloom over Hillsborough it could've done.

It's clear for some though that any expressed criticism of the club, DC, JL, or the players is immediately set upon and labelled as 'negative'. It goes a long way to foster the polarized atmosphere on here at times.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This will be the first season we've had where that squad is 100% fit and fighting 

It's like a free spunk up the wall cash fest.

Get 10 new players who are worth millions for nothing.

Spunktastic.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

The trouble is with having the same squad as what finished 4th and 6th is that other teams have improved a lot and spent money. We havn’t

It's possible that this will be a problem. It stands to reason anyway. Forest will clearly be much stronger this season, for example. I don't think there's such a long list of such teams that are improving so drastically though, and every season the fear that the relegated Prem teams will dominate never quite comes entirely to pass.

We do need a right back and centre back with hunt and venancio going.

I don't think it's being negative to mention that.

I can't believe we won't strengthen the defence and there is still time. Not seen a lot of movement at other clubs yet.

38 minutes ago, swfctc1 said:

What’s up with some people !! Just because we haven’t spent millions and millions on players we don’t actually need , Agreed we need a commanding centre half but other than that we have everything we need in our squad to be challenging, the young lads coming through, the injured players coming back , a manager with no favourites, oh and fit players playing in their proper positions , the way we finished the season under Jos gives me plenty of optimism and that was with 4/5 senior players missing and a under fit team due to the car crash that Carlos created . I really can’t wait 

Cause it's basically the same squad that started last season , minus Wallace,loovens,Hunt and probably Rhodes ,only addition is van aken and Joey.

We need more pace out wide and like you say a commanding centre half.

The players you mention that were missing at the end of last season Hooper, Lee, Westwood , Fletcher,Hutch and Abdi have all been injury prone in the last couple of seasons , so not likely to have a full season between them.

The concern for me is we have an over bloated squad , some that are shirt fillers and some that are crocks, we need players that can be relied on for a 46 game championship season and one's that are good enough aswell

3 minutes ago, Eightace said:

I can't believe we won't strengthen the defence and there is still time. Not seen a lot of movement at other clubs yet.

Every pre-season over the last few years I've lost my head screaming for the club to sign players during the close season

Thing is it's my age that makes me think that way, when in reality football has changed and signings just aren't made at this time of year and (like last year) we'll probably see signings once the season has started

It's just changing times that's all

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Watto said:

Cause it's basically the same squad that started last season , minus Wallace,loovens,Hunt and probably Rhodes ,only addition is van aken and Joey.

We need more pace out wide and like you say a commanding centre half.

The players you mention that were missing at the end of last season Hooper, Lee, Westwood , Fletcher,Hutch and Abdi have all been injury prone in the last couple of seasons , so not likely to have a full season between them.

The concern for me is we have an over bloated squad , some that are shirt fillers and some that are crocks, we need players that can be relied on for a 46 game championship season and one's that are good enough aswell

To be fair that's quite a negative way of looking at it.

I guarantee you now Calamity Carlos has gone, we wont have the same injury issues we had last season.

If we do, I'll rub Hendersons into Neils shiny head with my man boobs live on Owlstalk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

The trouble is with having the same squad as what finished 4th and 6th is that other teams have improved a lot and spent money. We havn’t

We have a far better coach who has actually improved players so we could  achieve more with less.

Just now, Quist said:

We have a far better coach who has actually improved players so we could  achieve more with less.

100%

I stand by my views that Carlos is the worst coach in our history, who not only shamefully wasted resources, he negatively impacted on their value and effectiveness through his blatant disregard for fitness.

It's like a speedboat trying to race towing a corpse. We've put a concrete body warmer on the corpse and sank it.

We will fly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can honestly say I ain't seen much much negativity about either.

What's there to be negative about at the moment. missing out on a few players we probably didn't even want anyway.

We need to make some cuts financially and so for we are doing it the right way.

Only way I see this place going into a negative meltdown is if we sell Bannan or Forestieri. Which I don't think will happen.

UTO.

I have seen some panic about not getting Fred, the fact we haven't signed people yet and selling Hunt. But the majority seem positive. For anyone who is in a panic, Keep Calm like Jos and Sir Gareth of Southgate. I think this season might be good if we keep expectations down.

9 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

I have seen some panic about not getting Fred, the fact we haven't signed people yet and selling Hunt. But the majority seem positive. For anyone who is in a panic, Keep Calm like Jos and Sir Gareth of Southgate. I think this season might be good if we keep expectations down.

Spot on.

No secret that England have excelled on the back of lower expectations and youth.

Sounds remarkably like our plan for this season.