#SWFC agree terms with Norwich for Jordan Rhodes

4 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Agree with your sentiments but I ( maybe naïvely) put more stock in the words of the Chairman than absolutely anyone on OT. 

How has his words differed? He has said he'd continue to invest to maximum allowed, that is a rolling three year loss of £39M if we are allegedly (by last two years accounts, albeit I haven't checked personally) £30m down, this years losses need to be no more than £9m. If last years losses were £20m there is some considerable trimming to be done to continue to exist while investing to the full?

5 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Not sure - I'd hope in Jan too, as that's earliest we could cash in on Winall.

Exactly, I’m just wondering as I hear that Birmingham have potentially been stung with an embargo as they’ve not shown that they are doing something about it. Whereas it’s obvious we are. But, I’m not sure (or v good at understanding) when the financial end of year is? And how all this pans out? 

Edited by AwokenGiant

We are loaning him because nobody will buy him, nothing else.

We can't afford him.

We are foooked financially due to our 3 year spunkwall extravaganza.

The sooner we accept we blew our chance and now have a few years of recovery, and learning from our mistakes, the easier it will be.

Cheers Doyen.

4 hours ago, Blue and white said:

This is coming back to bite us on the arse.

Why we would lend a potential promotion trivial our best striker beggars belief.

Are you being sarcastic? If not and you actually believe that Rhodes is our best striker then you either don’t attend games or your eyes are painted on. 

It’s a win/win for us if Rhodes finds form because he’ll come back with goalscoring confidence and have increased his market value. My fear is that he’ll misfire at Norwich and come back the same in the same form he showed last season. 

Edited by shandypants

I definitely think getting rid of Westwood is a sensible move, as others have said we have two good young keepers who can push each other on.

Ideally we would keep Westwood, but he would be a good sized wage off the wage bill and would get us a decent fee. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Think tank said:

I definitely think getting rid of Westwood is a sensible move, as others have said we have two good young keepers who can push each other on.

Ideally we would keep Westwood, but he would be a good sized wage off the wage bill and would get us a decent fee. 

Agreed. If we have to find another £3 million or so to get off the wage bill then flogging KW is a no brainier- as much as I think he’s a top keeper. 

26 minutes ago, Beholder said:

What Norwich have isnt our concern. 

Our only concern is getting our wage bill down by letting a surplus misfiring striker leave for a loan fee and wages covered. 

He was never gonna be in front of our other strikers in the pecking order, all of which do more than score. They all contribute in other areas of the pitch which he lacks in. 

This is a good deal for everyone. 

Agree on all counts.

Infact you can even ignore the financials. Ignore the fact we need to offload players. At the club we still have;

Hooper

Joao

Nuhiu

Forrestieri

Fletcher

Winnall

Plus the young lad, who I sincerely hope we haven't handed a contract to just to see the Hirst situ occur again.

Rhodes unfortunately hasn't done the business for us, has looked languid and immobile and is probably the least comfortable fit in what we've seen of Jos' system thus far. And to be honest having such a large quantity of "first team quality" strikers is something that's not done us any favours, really. Time to streamline. Entirely based on football reasons, this is a move that's good for us.

13 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

The failure of last season is coming home to roost. Had we been challenging again as we should have, with players fit. It would be much easier to move some players on. But if someone’s been injured for 7 months, it puts a dampener on it.

I for one can’t wait for this season to start , I personally believe we will be up there challenging 

Guest Hillsborough Mole
29 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Exactly, I’m just wondering as I hear that Birmingham have potentially been stung with an embargo as they’ve not shown that they are doing something about it. Whereas it’s obvious we are. But, I’m not sure (or v good at understanding) when the financial end of year is? And how all this pans out? 

Our financial year concludes at the end of May each year.

As you can see from the accounts our accumulated losses for the last 2 financial years is £30.5m (these are the two relevant years for FFP (P&S) as the financial year May 2018 which has just concluded is the relevant figure to be added in the rolling 3 year period... 

Certain expenditure is allowable, as has been covered at length. 

But given the Rhodes fee from Boro (if £8m will be in accounts at £2m per year) plus his wages, the undisclosed fee for van Aken (reported at between £2-4m depending who you believe), the £750k for Pelupessy along with new improved contracts for a host of players with no outgoings, you can see the potential problem. 

We have to hope we lost less than £8.5m in the financial year just ended

I'll post you the club accounts page below. I'm pretty sure casbah owl will still find something he doesn't believe though

Screenshot_20180710-094828_Drive.jpg

12 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Westwood will stay. Jos couldn't make up his mind who he liked better out of dawson and wildsmith. which tells me he ain't to sure who is the better keeper. Westwood will be our number 1 next season.

I think it depends on any offers received, if stoke or any other relegated team come in with decent bid I'd expect him to be gone. Purely as his contracts running down and I cant see him signing a new one.

1 minute ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

As you can see from the accounts our accumulated losses for the last 2 financial years is £30.5m (these are the two relevant years for FFP (P&S) as the financial year May 2018 which has just concluded is the relevant figure to be added in the rolling 3 year period... 

But given the Rhodes fee from Boro (if £8m will be in accounts at £2m per year) plus his wages, the undisclosed fee for van Aken (reported at between £2-4m depending who you believe), the £750k for Pelupessy along with new improved contracts for a host of players with no outgoings, you can see the potential problem. 

I'll post you the club accounts page below. I'm pretty sure casbah owl will still find something he doesn't believe though

My hero!! 

48 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Applied logic in this case.

We know what the losses are for the last two trading years because they have appeared in published accounts. We know the maximum permitted losses in a rolling three year are 39 million. Hence, arriving at a ballpark figure for this year's losses is not that difficult to estimate.

To a point maybe but no one knows fully what parts of income/outgoings are exempted from FFP?

Eg D Taxis, Elev8, kit sponsor, ground sponsor etc, etc

31 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Westwood will stay. Jos couldn't make up his mind who he liked better out of dawson and wildsmith. which tells me he ain't to sure who is the better keeper. Westwood will be our number 1 next season.

Wouldn’t be too sure about that.

The Hunt transfer has shown that players nearing the end of their contract may well be available if the right offer comes along.

As others have stated, the clubs losses need to be no more than approx £9 million this coming season.

Expect more outgoings especially in positions where there is squad cover.

Strikers and keepers definitely come into that category.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
10 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Wouldn’t be too sure about that.

The Hunt transfer has shown that players nearing the end of their contract may well be available if the right offer comes along.

As others have stated, the clubs losses need to be no more than approx £9 million this coming season.

Expect more outgoings especially in positions where there is squad cover.

Strikers and keepers definitely come into that category.

LAST Season

47 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Thanks Mole - really informative. 

Whats your opinion on where we are at now we have loaned our Rhodes in terms of players outgoing and incoming? 

And, is there anyway that Chansiri can pump money into the club sideways (so to speak) to decrease any deficit? 

Edited by AwokenGiant

43 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

To a point maybe but no one knows fully what parts of income/outgoings are exempted from FFP?

Eg D Taxis, Elev8, kit sponsor, ground sponsor etc, etc

Who are the people who actually decide what is and isn't? Someone must know

Owlstalk Shop

Think sending Rhodes on loan is the only feasible solution.

I honestly don't know what the people who are disappointed by this want to see? Keep him out of bloodymindedness and either continue with him as back up/"impact" player on huge wages?

"Play to his strengths"? Which as far as I can see would be to play him in a front two with wingers swinging balls into the box? Well Jos spent the best part of his time in a turgid season figuring out a system which best suits our squad; a system which has seen a rejuvenated Atty and João and was really starting to bear fruit... Do we just rip all that up and start again, just in the hope that Rhodes will come good? Even if we wanted to, we'd have to go out and sign the wingers to supply the ammunition, with money we don't have!!

The only way to solve the problem is to let the lad go elsewhere; if that means we can bring a loan or two in then great, but even if it just helps balance the books then it still makes perfect sense to me.

People are quite entitled to be disappointed that it hasn't worked out for him, but to think there is any other remedy to the problem, in my opinion chooses to ignore the reality of the situation.