ENGLAND 1 - 2 CROATIA | World Cup Semi Final | Matchday Thread

13 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I didn't give a fu*k before the tournament started and now I sleep in face paint.

You can join this party anytime you want to.

Get it tattooed on, ya pansy!

Croatia will have to improve on their two knockout performances to beat us. We will have to at least match our Sweden performance and probably up it somewhat.

Its a very close call between two well-matched teams. A save, a crossbar, a decision, a shoot-out could swing it. Certainly I don’t see anything more than a one goal margin either way.

I was impressed by the way we got much stronger than Columbia in the second half of ET, and how resolute and energetic we were towards the latter stages v Sweden. 

Im hugely optimistic, which is uncharted territory as an England fan.

Its odd, I feel England could actually benefit from a team having a go.  Lets face it, apart from Belgium none of the teams have really come at us.  One of the standout features of this England team is its pace and energy.  Croatia have very little pace which people have pointed out.  I reckon if we hit Croatia on the break they just won't be able to live with us.  I'm still not convinced about Dele Alli, I think the injury is still an issue.  If its still 0-0 at 60-65 mins I'd like to see Loftus-Cheek, I reckon he'd be a different proposition for Rakitic to deal with and certainly Croatia didn't like the Russians breaking at pace and with purpose.  I won't make a prediction but all I'll say is that I have confidence that Southgate will have us set up to beat Croatia, which I know sounds odd but in years gone by, we never set up to put teams to the sword.

I'd almost given up on England after the last few dreadful tournament showings, what GS has done is picked players in form from sometimes less fashionable sides and moulded them into a team that grafts and works for each other (watch how they harry the opposition if we do lose the ball). I tipped Croatia as a potential dark horse during the group stage but they have not looked quite as impressive in the knock out games, it will be tough but i'm sure we have enough in the tank to get to the final (which would be unbelievable).

41 minutes ago, Davidioso said:

I didnt think we would get out of the group tbh.

I still cringe about the "football's coming home stuff"......we could be heading for a mighty fall

but, on paper we should beat Croatia

Because it's coming home!

2 hours ago, Davidioso said:

I still cringe about the "football's coming home stuff"......we could be heading for a mighty fall

It's just a song. It's football fans enjoying the ride. It's the kind of stuff football is about.

If you can't enjoy the moment, allow yourself to dream and get carried away, and get caught up in the atmosphere when England are in the semi-final of a World Cup, then I'm not so sure football is your bag pal.

By the way, it's coming home!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Davidioso said:

Yep the meme is dead.

F

edit: It's still a great song though.

Edited by Woozie

14 hours ago, spike1867 said:

I'm still not convinced about Dele Alli...

Me neither. He's the one player I'd be tempted to drop for this game, regardless of his goal against Sweden, which otherwise was a poor performance by him. But we're starting to come together as a unit very effectively and it would be wise to try and maintain that momentum by leaving things much as they are. If only we could make better decisions in the final third and take advantage of some of the openings we create. We can't be relying on penalties and the centre backs for goals.

Well I still have doubts about this team, one i thought wouldn't get out the group stage Sterling is a waste of a shirt right now and I keep thinking back to Italia 90 and Euro 96 but what the hell we can beat Croatia. 

I even have a feeling Sterling will score the winner

22 hours ago, spike1867 said:

Its odd, I feel England could actually benefit from a team having a go.  Lets face it, apart from Belgium none of the teams have really come at us.  One of the standout features of this England team is its pace and energy.  Croatia have very little pace which people have pointed out.  I reckon if we hit Croatia on the break they just won't be able to live with us.  I'm still not convinced about Dele Alli, I think the injury is still an issue.  If its still 0-0 at 60-65 mins I'd like to see Loftus-Cheek, I reckon he'd be a different proposition for Rakitic to deal with and certainly Croatia didn't like the Russians breaking at pace and with purpose.  I won't make a prediction but all I'll say is that I have confidence that Southgate will have us set up to beat Croatia, which I know sounds odd but in years gone by, we never set up to put teams to the sword.

The problem with countering and hitting teams on the break is you need a solid and dependable back line, it's the one thing we do lack. Walker is always prone to a couple of lapses in concentration and stones does tend to wander on occasions. Young has done pretty well for a converted winger, but not really been put under too much sustained pressure to defend. I think we need to start well and try to gain control of the midfield early as I see that with modric pulling the strings it's probably their strongest area. An early goal and them having to push forward as you say would be ideal though to catch them out... If for once sterling can make good decisions for once.