Why I can’t support Wednesday any longer

There are 2 reasons. Firstly I’m 6000 miles away so its a little expensive and it would take a sizeable chunk out of my life. When I was younger I would often only miss a couple of away games in a season but now I admit to being a ‘big match’ fan only. £2k to see the Norwich match..worth every penny.

However the main reason I can’t support them any longer is down to a conversation I had with a woman in a bar last night. A good friend of mine is a Liverpool supporter and as we walked into said bar he was confronted by this woman who proceeded to mock his team. I thought I’d find out where she was coming from, so I asked her what team she supported and she replied Man U. Swiftly followed by her enquiring of me which team I followed. On mentioning Wednesday she quickly lost interest and I took this as disapproval so I decided to scrutinize her choice of team.

‘Do you live in Manchester?’ I asked

Monosyllabic answer ‘no’

‘Were you born in Manchester ‘ I not so innocently probed.

Affirmative response

‘Do you get to many matches?’

Monosyllabic negative reply..... followed by

‘But I’ve been to Manchester

I did actually fall off my bar stool.

Well smack me with a wet kipper, she’s been shopping in Selfridges and become a life long Man U Fan

So where do you come from I continued ... some obscure Welsh town

And why do you support Man U ... no answer... why not support your local team….no answer.

I’m not sure she ever understood my message and my sweet talking repartee was obviously getting me no where so we parted company. A seven minute marriage made in heaven.

Thank Buddha for intelligent Bar girls full of stimulating conversation coming to my rescue.

Now I haven’t an intrinsic problem with Man U., but everywhere I go in the world I get pretty sick when people ask me where I’m from, and then immediately suggest Manchester or Liverpool.

So I’m proposing an outright ban on being able to qualify as a supporter if you weren’t born within spitting distance of the ground. And that’s the second reason I can’t support Wednesday as I was born in (on the) Arbourthorne.

So what’s the most feeble / tenuous reason you’ve heard for supporting a team

and, whom amongst we Wednesday supporters, can claim to have started following them from the farthest away from the ground. (not where you live now )

21 minutes ago, ThailandOwl said:

There are 2 reasons. Firstly I’m 6000 miles away so its a little expensive and it would take a sizeable chunk out of my life. When I was younger I would often only miss a couple of away games in a season but now I admit to being a ‘big match’ fan only. £2k to see the Norwich match..worth every penny.

However the main reason I can’t support them any longer is down to a conversation I had with a woman in a bar last night. A good friend of mine is a Liverpool supporter and as we walked into said bar he was confronted by this woman who proceeded to mock his team. I thought I’d find out where she was coming from, so I asked her what team she supported and she replied Man U. Swiftly followed by her enquiring of me which team I followed. On mentioning Wednesday she quickly lost interest and I took this as disapproval so I decided to scrutinize her choice of team.

‘Do you live in Manchester?’ I asked

Monosyllabic answer ‘no’

‘Were you born in Manchester ‘ I not so innocently probed.

Affirmative response

‘Do you get to many matches?’

Monosyllabic negative reply..... followed by

‘But I’ve been to Manchester

I did actually fall off my bar stool.

Well smack me with a wet kipper, she’s been shopping in Selfridges and become a life long Man U Fan

So where do you come from I continued ... some obscure Welsh town

And why do you support Man U ... no answer... why not support your local team….no answer.

I’m not sure she ever understood my message and my sweet talking repartee was obviously getting me no where so we parted company. A seven minute marriage made in heaven.

Thank Buddha for intelligent Bar girls full of stimulating conversation coming to my rescue.

Now I haven’t an intrinsic problem with Man U., but everywhere I go in the world I get pretty sick when people ask me where I’m from, and then immediately suggest Manchester or Liverpool.

So I’m proposing an outright ban on being able to qualify as a supporter if you weren’t born within spitting distance of the ground. And that’s the second reason I can’t support Wednesday as I was born in (on the) Arbourthorne.

So what’s the most feeble / tenuous reason you’ve heard for supporting a team

and, whom amongst we Wednesday supporters, can claim to have started following them from the farthest away from the ground. (not where you live now )

A team is for life ,Not a little puppy you get for Christmas .

• Like 1

my dad took me as a nipper 50 odd years ago....in my blood I guess like a lot of many.

live out of town but still a s/t holder.

If anyone asks I still say I am from Sheffield.

Edited by Lombado
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

So I’m proposing an outright ban on being able to qualify as a supporter if you weren’t born within spitting distance of the ground.

If that’s the new proviso for season ticket eligibility, no wonder we couldn’t afford Venâncio.

Owlstalk is a strange place at he best of times, even during the season but something happens at close of season. 

Its like the site is taken over and given to a bipolar ward, we all support Wednesday not for the experience but for the glory it brings. Christ the last 20

years we’ve pretty much smashed every trophy going, get a grip man

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, helmut_rooster said:

Most entertaining story I've read this morning. 

But I preferred the one about these 3 bears and some porridge I read my kids last night, now that was entertainment I tell you. 

Well don’t leave us hanging..... what happened?

• Haha 4