Remember when

I've met loads of people down the years who support one big city club but like to see the other one do well.  Funnily enough, I remember being at university in the 1990s and in the pub I overheard one guy from Sheffield talking along those lines to his mate (he was a Wednesday fan but liked United and generally liked to see Sheffield clubs do well).

Not everyone who supports one club rabidly detests their arch rival, even if that isn't the prevailing position.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
24 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

I remember when the pigs were moaning at Maguire too saying all the have to do is kick the ball towards him or run at him. Besides, he’s been developed since those days

Still a youngster when he left them but he was a very good player even then IMO, but yes of course he's progressed further as he's matured.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:14, CF83OWL said:

Still a blade, no matter what...

Jamie Vardy reckons not.

Saw somewhere that Vardy claims Maguire is an Owl but went through the Blades youth system. An Owl friend of mine lets his son go to Blades training even though both are Owls.This may have been the case with Harry Maguire.

3 hours ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Still a youngster when he left them but he was a very good player even then IMO, but yes of course he's progressed further as he's matured.

I doubt he’d be and England player if he’d stayed at the pigs. Is he good enough to be an England player now? The jury’s still out on that

On 07/07/2018 at 17:44, Animal said:

He is a Wednesday fan seen him at numberous Home and away matches 

His dads an owl not sure about his mum or brother but he is definitely a blade.Apparently vardy calls him slabhead.He used to be a wednesday fan hence why vardy said you are either wednesday or united youcant change from one to the other

Is it worth pointing out that for all the Yorkshire people in the squad, they all came through different academies (except Vardy, but we sent him packing). Barnsley and Sheff U academies represented but not ours? Issue with our academy or just unlucky?

4 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Maguire has had his chance in the PL and the England team and taken it. It does help when you're playing with and against world class players every week.

If Lees had had that chance.....who knows?

When Burnley sold Keane to Everton they tried to sign Lees to replace him and we didn't allow it/get the fee we wanted. Now look where Burnley are and a few of their players were unlucky to not make the England squad, think if Lees had left us 18 months ago he could be in that squad now - who knows but as things stand he isn't and Maguire is

25 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Is it worth pointing out that for all the Yorkshire people in the squad, they all came through different academies (except Vardy, but we sent him packing). Barnsley and Sheff U academies represented but not ours? Issue with our academy or just unlucky?

We haven't valued youth development for 20 years - the penny has dropped over the last 2-3 years and in years to come we all hope to see more Sheffield lads come through the ranks and play for the first team.

Wildsmith and Dawson are Sheffield lads, but the rest have been brought in from other teams academys Thorniley, Ogrady, Neilson, Baker, Clare.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 hour ago, pgmetcalf said:

I doubt he’d be and England player if he’d stayed at the pigs. Is he good enough to be an England player now? The jury’s still out on that

IMO he is most definitely good enough to be an England player.

Impossible to say how he'd have developed if he'd stayed at United but IMO you could see that he was an excellent young player even back then.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 hours ago, james o connor said:

Who cares if he’s a pig or a Wednesday fan or whoever, fact is he’s been quality for our country and that’s all that matters... 

hes obviously light years ahead of tom lees, again why does that matter. Both fantastic at their respective level 

Spot on.

Guest 103SecondsOfMagic
On 10/07/2018 at 22:01, Theboylangers said:

103 seconds of pork. 

Not tonight ta, I’m at your mum’s. :-)