ENGLAND VS COLOMBIA | Official Matchday Thread

I'm not getting caught up in the hype yet, holding myself back on purpose. Been there, done that and then some.

All I'd ask from England is to go out and play freely. Remember how you all felt as kids when just playing for fun was the whole point. Enjoy it and you've got the skills, pace and energy to beat anyone left in the comp. Good luck lads.

• Like 1

My expectations at the start of the tournament were to get out of the group and then at least have a go in the knockouts (basically, be exciting if we're going to lose rather than horrifically boring and still lose as per the last few tournaments).

I can't say that scraping a win over Tunisia, hammering a canal and losing to a Belgium side actively trying to throw the game has changed my mind much from that starting point.

As long as we give it a go, I'm fine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southportdc said:

My expectations at the start of the tournament were to get out of the group and then at least have a go in the knockouts (basically, be exciting if we're going to lose rather than horrifically boring and still lose as per the last few tournaments).

I can't say that scraping a win over Tunisia, hammering a canal and losing to a Belgium side actively trying to throw the game has changed my mind much from that starting point.

As long as we give it a go, I'm fine.

Totally agree with this.

The words, the sentiment, the punctuation.

Everything.

I’m in a happy place with England these days.

If they play well and win I’ll enjoy it immensely.

If they lose I’ll not give it a second thought. They’ve had enough out of me emotionally over the last 30 odd years.

Guest LittleG
3 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

I’m in a happy place with England these days.

If they play well and win I’ll enjoy it immensely.

If they lose I’ll not give it a second thought. They’ve had enough out of me emotionally over the last 30 odd years.

My thoughts exactly.

While I tend not to be too bothered about international football and generally expect to be disappointed by England, we have the beating of any team in our half of the draw. All depends on our mentality, expectancy is a different type of pressure.

This is the best chance of reaching the final in my living memory though and would perhaps only be considered underdogs in the final, assuming we meet France or Brazil.

I am optimistic for tonight, our second 11 is ropy, but our first 11 have looked as good as anyone in the competition in the first two games, packed with pace and play as a team.

4 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

I just can't see us winning tonight.

Colombia are an excellent team and were very unlucky to lose to Brazil in the quarter finals four years ago, they have a couple of premiership players wanting to prove a point and at 3-1 to win the game I shall be lumping on.

I will be more than happy to be proved wrong but I think they will win by 2 goals.

If we win , we can look forward to the next stage of this journey.  We came into this World Cup expecting nothing from this squad and if we go out tonight then so be it.  The way the draw has worked out means that fans and the media are doing exactly the same thing they always do and heaping pressure on a team that 3 weeks ago would have been happy reaching the last 16 

i hope we win , I think we will but as it’s England it will either be 4-0 or on Penalties. 

Incidentally , I am watching the match in Old Town Sozopol tonight with undoubtedly a shed load of Bulgarian and Russian fans.   :unsure:

Guest Maxine
3 hours ago, darklord said:

Said it on another thread.  This is it Charlton FA cup match again.  Too many looking at who we play next

I hate been reminded of that game. :sad:

33 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Think England are favourites..but not as much as people are thinking.

Gonna be a very tough game

I agree but I think England can pull it off. They will need the defence to be at its very best.