Jump to content
BIG D

Football Heaven 2018 - 2019

Recommended Posts

Crowds and averages has to the most boring pointless argument going 

 

 

 

 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Crowds and averages has to the most boring pointless argument going 

 

 

 

 

Especially when you get it wrong - a complete hostage to fortune.

 

Mark is an absolute idiot. Normally it's "Everbody in Manchester wants Wednesday to be promoted" but last night's "averaging over 40k" takes the biscuit.

 

Anyone know when Wednesday last averaged over 40k?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jeff King's dog said:

 

Found an answer to my own question.

 

Last time Wednesday averaged over 30k was 1967.

 

Last time > 40k was 1953.

 

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/shew.htm

 

I think if Wednesday ever got promoted we would average over 30,000. If capacity allowed think we could average 40,000 for the first season back in Premier League.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Radio Sheff should now cover United's ownership civil war because that's gonna kill Wilder's Premiership plans and destroy club.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeff King's dog said:

 

Found an answer to my own question.

 

Last time Wednesday averaged over 30k was 1967.

 

Last time > 40k was 1953.

 

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/shew.htm

Don't ya just love cold hard FACTS, but hey, we have fans who think we need a new higher capacity stadium. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

 

I think if Wednesday ever got promoted we would average over 30,000. If capacity allowed think we could average 40,000 for the first season back in Premier League.
 

Wowsers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Don't ya just love cold hard FACTS, but hey, we have fans who think we need a new higher capacity stadium. 

 

Football especially at Premier League Level is a lot bigger than it was 30 years ago.
I remember clubs like Arsenal and Spurs getting crowds in the low 20,000 when we played there in the early 90's.
Think with interest generated from a Promotion, bigger away followings from the big clubs think we would see a lot bigger attendances.
Sheffield United 12 years ago averaged over 30,000 for that one off season in the top division think we would get a few more.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

 

I think if Wednesday ever got promoted we would average over 30,000. If capacity allowed think we could average 40,000 for the first season back in Premier League.
 

 

I agree, for every Wednesdayite that goes to Hillsborough there's one who isn't attending. 

 

Not that we will in my lifetime but if we had success of some of these premier league clubs like Man City we'd comfortably average over 40,000 in a stadium big enough. 

Might be a load of tourists like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Radio Sheff should now cover United's ownership civil war because that's gonna kill Wilder's Premiership plans and destroy club.

Yep.It will be the "BOGROLL PRINCE" who will make a right Pigs Ear out of the silk purse that is the Blunts 2019/20 PL campaign in the event he wins control of the club.:tango:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pasty peas and roast spuds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2019 at 02:15, Jeff King's dog said:

Especially when you get it wrong - a complete hostage to fortune.

 

Mark is an absolute idiot. Normally it's "Everbody in Manchester wants Wednesday to be promoted" but last night's "averaging over 40k" takes the biscuit.

 

Anyone know when Wednesday last averaged over 40k?

 

 

3 times in the 50's. United have never averaged above 40k. However I think that either Sheffield side could do it if they ever established themselves in the Premier and had the capacity.  Certainly 35k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

3 times in the 50's. United have never averaged above 40k. However I think that either Sheffield side could do it if they ever established themselves in the Premier and had the capacity.  Certainly 35k.

Blade here.

 

I'm not very interested in the ancient history of either club, whether attendances or trophies.  I want my team to win something now; and I'm sure that's the case for most Owls. And success brings crowds.

 

But one thing strikes me about attendances now & in the future for either Sheffield club, and that's the impact of televised matches.  I'm not meaning those lazy fans who'd rather sit at home instead of getting to Hillsborough or the Lane - I mean when matches are moved (sometimes at quite short notice) to another time or another day.  Monday night, for example, will never get the crowd a regular 3:00 pm Saturday fixture will.  It must play havoc with those who need to work certain hours.  I'm retired, I have no regular commitments and can make any day at any time.  But it must really impact those Blades & Owls who can't easily change work times or who book travel/accommodation to get to Sheffield from elsewhere in the country.

Even in the Championship SUFC have had loads of matches shifted for TV.  It could be worse for us next season.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That posh blade who phones up regularly reckons they can challenge for a top 10 place next season. :Sid:

Edited by bradowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bradowl said:

That posh blade who phones up regularly reckons they can challenge for a top 10 place next season. :Sid:

I'd love it, of course.  But it is unlikely.

 

On my 'home' forum (s24su.com) there are a number of threads asking Blades what position they expect 2019/2020.  A few expect relegation.  Many expect just above relegation.  And a few expect (or hope) for better.

To state the obvious: we've no real idea, as we don't even know transfer fund availability and therefore how much new quality we'll be able to add to the squad.

And to make you laugh, I've put £1.20 at 2,500 to 1 on us doing a Leicester City! (Never bet what you can't afford to lose.)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Right-footer said:

I'd love it, of course.  But it is unlikely.

 

On my 'home' forum (s24su.com) there are a number of threads asking Blades what position they expect 2019/2020.  A few expect relegation.  Many expect just above relegation.  And a few expect (or hope) for better.

To state the obvious: we've no real idea, as we don't even know transfer fund availability and therefore how much new quality we'll be able to add to the squad.

And to make you laugh, I've put £1.20 at 2,500 to 1 on us doing a Leicester City! (Never bet what you can't afford to lose.)

 

You could've bought half the club for that...and had 20p change. :Sid:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My answers for Adam's questions.

 

Man/Woman of the season: Steve Bruce

Moment of the season: Appointing Steve Bruce.

One to watch: Dominic Iorfa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Right-footer said:

Blade here.

 

I'm not very interested in the ancient history of either club, whether attendances or trophies.  I want my team to win something now; and I'm sure that's the case for most Owls. And success brings crowds.

 

But one thing strikes me about attendances now & in the future for either Sheffield club, and that's the impact of televised matches.  I'm not meaning those lazy fans who'd rather sit at home instead of getting to Hillsborough or the Lane - I mean when matches are moved (sometimes at quite short notice) to another time or another day.  Monday night, for example, will never get the crowd a regular 3:00 pm Saturday fixture will.  It must play havoc with those who need to work certain hours.  I'm retired, I have no regular commitments and can make any day at any time.  But it must really impact those Blades & Owls who can't easily change work times or who book travel/accommodation to get to Sheffield from elsewhere in the country.

Even in the Championship SUFC have had loads of matches shifted for TV.  It could be worse for us next season.

Well you managed to average just over 30k last time round so I'd expect you to do it again. Biggest influence on gates is more likely to be pricing than TV I'd have thought. Be interesting to see how it all pans out once BRP takes over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...